Powerpoint presentation for teaching Juniors?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Dunski

Powerpoint presentation for teaching Juniors?

Post by Dunski »

I'm helping coach a juniors smallbore rifle program for our club and would like to find a presentation in MS Powerpoint (computer slideshow) to take the kids thru the basics....proper prone position, sight picture, trigger pull, etc.. I own my own projector for work. I think today's kids will learn concepts faster with graphics.

I called the NRA and they have nothing like this. Has anyone seen this type of thing? Short of finding one that's already done, I can easily put one together by scanning books and nailing photos off the web.

Anybody have an outline for a kids basic "chalkboard talk"?

Any suggestions for resources for photos? Boy scout merit badge book, AMU Pistol book?....

Any thoughts appreciated!
Jake A.

Post by Jake A. »

1. GET THEM ORGANIZED:

Have your kit in order and practice setting up your equipment at home 2 or 3 times a day. You can then coach technique without having to also handle 20k pieces of equipment that is misplaced, left at home, borrowed, etc. Each shooter gets a sport duffle bag for their stuff. Believe me, I know what it is like wrangling 1 junior shooters. I learned that if we show up at a match well organized, we only have to rely on our shooting ability, because all the details are already taken care of.

Matches are usually won or lost way before the first shot is fired.

2. TEACH NPA (Natural Point of Aim) MOST IMPORTANT

Successful prone shooting relies on the NPA being very near target center.

After they are in position, oriented somewhere near their target, sling adjusted for height. Close eyes, relax a few seconds, open the eyes and see where the sights are pointed. That would be a good indication of in which direction of the target bull the shot will land, even if the sights are dragged at the bull and the shot fired.

Use the elbow of the support hand as a pivot to adjust right-left. Use the sling and handstop to adjust up-down. Once learned, smaller corections can be made with the foot, leg, breathing.

NPA should be front of consciousness during every practice, every dryfire session , every match and every shot.

Especially with kids, you're trying to take muscle strength out of aiming the rifle, and finding a position where the rifle is supported by the bones of the arm, shoulder and hand, with gravity as the glue. Then hopefully or with much work, the target center will coincide with the sights.

3. Being calm during reloading.

trying not to bust up that nice NPA we built for that first shot. Organize ammo, spotting scope (if used) so movement is minimized. (Back to that NPA deal again!). But...most smaller kids will have to completely break the mount to load up. That's why we allow clip fed rifles to be used in our Sporter prone program (The NRA dudes went crazy at that one. But we don't allow shooters downrange to hang targets...we hang the entire match for each class/division at one time...no shooters downrange = faster matches and safer use of clip-fed semi and bolt rifles.

4. Trigger

Of course...squeeze the trigger. And... it's much easier to do if the NPA (there it is again!) is the target center. If the sights are still on the target, they won't be tempted to snatch the trigger as the sights quiver past the bull.

One word about safety:

When introducing rifle shooting to new young shooters, they will be coached to handle their rifle much more than they would if they hunted rabbits a few times per year. They may want to dryfire at home, practice getting into position, adjusting the sling, clean it, buy a new target model, etc...

Well that new found hobby of handling the rifle will rub off on younger siblings. Therein is the real safety issue. A properly trained smallbore shooter is probably the safest person to handle a firearm.

But safety translates to being sure other siblings can't get ahold of the rifle. We've all seen a youngster get a new skateboard, and soon enough a sibling that never had any interest in skateboarding has the latest model also. Firearms offer great interest to youngsters, and the younger ones may not understand why they don't to get to "play" with one also.

When I introduced that concept at a RSO seminar, there was a big case of the "Ah Ha"s. When explained to the youngster, they see a real connection to keeping the rifle away from other siblings, not just making it a pain to get the rifle and ammo for a range session.

That's all for now...

Mr. T
Jake A.

Post by Jake A. »

I meant "wrangling 14 shooters".

"fat fingers"
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Go to the CMP site:
http://www.odcmp.com/CoachingResources.htm
bottom of page are some PPT presentations ... for parents, shooters, and coaches .... a good starting point

Also, the Canadian Cadet Movement - Air Rifle Training Manual is a good place for coach to start. Do a google search and you'll find links to it.

While these are geared for Air Rifle, the basics are the same. I really encourage any smallbore rifle program to have an air rifle side to it as well

If you have time in Dec look at going to the Coach conference in Colo Springs as well
Chris__Colorado

Try the Airgun Reference Library

Post by Chris__Colorado »

The Airgun Reference Library has many training documents in the Marksmanship folder. I believe one of them is a PDF file of a powerpoint presentation.

Give it a shot at
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1175918158/

Chris
n1heu

powerpoint

Post by n1heu »

Dunski
e-mail me direct at
hairymike@gmail.com
I have exactly what you are looking for and will send you a copy.
mike mccabe
Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club
Director, Junior's Programs
brp.org