fwb p44

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sean

fwb p44

Post by sean »

I just got my hands on one of these, and I must say it's an awesome example of Feinwerkbau, and worth evey penny!! Cheers, Sean
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Dear Sean,
can you post your personal review? ;)

Thank you very much.
Best regards,
LukeP.
CraigE

very happy to have P44

Post by CraigE »

I have had the pleasure of owning/shooting a number of air pistols. This goes back to the mid 80's when I had an RWS 10M. The latest before the FWB P44 was a Pardini K2s. I have enjoyed (and shot well) with each. That being said, I am most pleased with the P44 by far. The design and execution in manufacture of the pistol is superlative. There are many more adjustments than most people will ever want or need....but they are there for the taking. The trigger is exquisite. The sight line (length of) is about the longest available. I use the stock grip in medium and have done nothing to it since it seemed to fit me as though it were personally fitted. This may not be the case for all, but worked for me. The pistol is very light. I particularly liked this aspect of the design. It is possible to add as much weight as you want in whatever balance configuration best suits your preference. As I have only had the P44 for about 5 months, it is not really possible to evaluate long-term durability or reliability. However, given the number of FWB 65's still performing well, I anticipate no real problems and I know FWB will be around for a while to support their products. I believe that two things enabled me to shoot a personal best with the P44....smarter training and the confidence in the quality of the pistol. The only two minute observations on my part would be the length of the trigger blade (could be a tad longer but is ok) and the fact that the lever seating the pellet is sufficiently free to fall forward somewhat inadvertantly. This really doesn't even count as an annoyance to me, but others have noticed it too (see Kent Reinhamere's posts on the pistol). As yet, I have not seen many P44's on the line, but I suspect that it will only be a matter of time before FWB has representation with the P44 at the highest levels. All in all, I find the P44 to be among the elite pistols for design and function and I am glad to own one. YMMV.
FWB P44 owner

P44 grips slightly on the large side...

Post by FWB P44 owner »

Have owned a P44 since march month. It has seen minor use, cause the FWB P44 "medium grip" supplied with the pistol seems a bit on ther large side (pretty much so, regrettably).
Noticeably larger than usual "medium" grips, which usuallly is th size to fit my hands best. Have ordered a "small" grip several months ago. Still waiting...
Pistol appears well made, and features a good finish. Triggerpull good.
Ken

cocking lever damaging the blue finish

Post by Ken »

I've read in another review that when moving the cocking lever it can scrape of the blue finish of the frame. Is that correct?

Re: cocking lever damaging the blue finish

Post by Guest »

Ken wrote:I've read in another review that when moving the cocking lever it can scrape of the blue finish of the frame. Is that correct?
Yes, i see on photo on german site and on one pictures on paper magazine. I try to find it and link!
One moment!
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Ken wrote:I've read in another review that when moving the cocking lever it can scrape of the blue finish of the frame. Is that correct?
I have several thousand pellets through my P44 and there is absolutely no sign of any rubbing or scraping of the finish.

Craig and Kent have commented on the looseness of the pellet seating lever; this is not the case with my pistol. The action of the lever is light, but not loose or sloppy. Definitely will not move without the application of finger pressure.

Excellent design and the execution of the design is perfect.

I opted for small Rink grips rather than the stock (small) Morini grips. The Rink definitely fit my hand better than the Morini.

I have had no need to adjust the trigger as received - about 450/80 and very crisp.

Even with some additional weight up front, the pistol is still under 1000 gm. It weighs the same as my LP1. My score is about the same with either pistol, and I am very pleased with my purchase.

Fred
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Here there is a german review, with some pictures:
http://www.co2air.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=38268

There are two pictures with big scratches on the surface of the frame, all along the lever's run.

Also the review talks about a defect, but i didn't understand clearly what is it.
Best regards,
LukeP.
Attachments
Nyna_FWB_Visierung.jpg
Nyna_FWB_Lademulde.jpg
Nyna_FWB_Lademulde.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 5952 times
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Luke,
The pictures show what I would call the internal working surfaces of the pistol - much like the wear of the slide rails on the frame of a 22 pistol. They are not 'scrapings' or 'scratches' due to improper fit of the parts. In fact these surfaces are lubricated with a light film of grease. When the cocking lever is down they are hidden by the lever. If you want a pristine pistol, hang it on the wall and don't shoot it.

Regards,
Fred
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Sure, but my izzy, lazy crazy russian pistol, don't have similar scratches after 10k and more pellet. If blue finish go over after few use, is defective, or poor quality. If it's normal to have finish go away after few months, why do it?
Don't know if steyr lp10 or morini 162ei finishes, suffer from similar problem.

P.S. I'm only try to find more information as possible on this pistol, because i'm interested on buy it. Probably my next post is a review from a new owner of this pistol, so read my words only for information.

A think: what is p44 barrel diameter?
Thank you.
Best regards,
LukeP.
jipe

Post by jipe »

This kind of wear doesn't appear on an LP10 neither, even after years of use and thousands of shots.

I have seen used previous Feinwerkbau pistol models (P34 for instance) and I must say that the surface finish seems prone to wear and scratches (the black frame become white at the edges, the compressed air cylinder looses his red color finish, this finish doesn't seem to be anodized aluminium like on most other brands, but painted) what doesn't happen with other brands.

What the German guy is saying is that the two blades of the rear sight (that can be adjusted for width) are not well aligned/symetric. I do not know how the rear sight is made on the P44 but on the LP10, before changing the width you have to untight the two screws that hold the blade used to adjust the depth of the rear sigth. If you do not do that when you try to reduce the width, there is also a risk of misalignment of the two pieces of the rear sight.

After having tried a second P44 having the same problem, he finally exchanged his P44 for an LP10 !
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Thank you for the translation! You are definitively better than google translator! ;)

Best regards,
LukeP.
Trev2205

Post by Trev2205 »

Those "scratches" also appear on my P44. Whilst the long term durability of the pistol has yet to be proven, I can't say I'm overly concerned.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Trev2205 wrote:Those "scratches" also appear on my P44. Whilst the long term durability of the pistol has yet to be proven, I can't say I'm overly concerned.
What is the finish of the pistol frame (the blue part) and of the compressed air cylinder ? It looks like it was painted and not anodised what could explain the softness of the surface and the fast wear.
Trev2205

Post by Trev2205 »

I'm no expert but it looks like paint to me, and that would certainly be consistant with FWB manufacturing process, as per previous products.
I have noticed no deterioration of the silver finish on the cylinders as yet.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi,
I am glad that you have found the P44 to be worth trying. I was an early buyer and you may have thought that I exaggerated my feelings at the time. The pistol has been sold and I have now only a LP10.
The scratches that you talk about where not present on my gun, there was a clearance of at least one mm. But, the loading lever would close if one leaned the pistol forward just a tiny bit. The rear sight does not have an adjustment for the depth so it is not as the LP10. The rear sight was to be corrected by grinding, it was like 14 passed 9 and if you once SEEN it, you MUST do something about it. Very disturbing. I have had this on some Morini too so it is not an uncommon problem, but as long as you do not see it….
I am sure the P44 is the best Feinwerkbau, for me, I made some 100 points with this gun and I have only done this once before with a 162EI Short. So your question now would be; why the LP10?
The P44 is kind of nervous when the pellet leaves the muzzle. You may say that it is not “forgiving”, I have had the same feeling in a 84E (free pistol) One may accomplish astonishing results some time but disaster is lurking around the corner and the punishment does not feel fair. My LP10 is as an extension of my arm and I feel that I get what I deserve all the time, if it is a 98 so be it.
The P44 is friendly to your shoulder and elbow. I do not advise against buying one.

Kent
Ken

next Steyr?

Post by Ken »

Thanks for all comments.
I was considering a P44, LP10 or LP@. (for the moment still shooting a FWB C25)
After all these remarks and having called some shops my decision is leaning towards the LP10.
At one shop they told me that the black LP10 is no longer available. Could this mean that something new is in the pipeline? Has anyone heard something (yet) ?
Richard H

Re: next Steyr?

Post by Richard H »

Ken wrote:Thanks for all comments.
I was considering a P44, LP10 or LP@. (for the moment still shooting a FWB C25)
After all these remarks and having called some shops my decision is leaning towards the LP10.
At one shop they told me that the black LP10 is no longer available. Could this mean that something new is in the pipeline? Has anyone heard something (yet) ?
They make it in both black and silver, I've seen black ones with the new bearing which is very new so I doubt that they are not making them any more, its more likely that your dealear has too many silvers ones and would prefer that you buy one of his silver ones than someone elses black one. I doubt there is anyhting new any time soon as they most likely would have debut it at one of the shows.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I think that your dealer is pushing you to the silver that he probably has in stock because at this moment most lp10 sold are silver ones.

When you buy it new, check that it is the latest version with the ball bearing, not that it makes a huge difference but in case you would like to sell it back, you will probably be able to sell it for a higher price.

For the difference between the lp10 and lp@, when I compare them, they are really very similar (my wife has an lp@ light).

From what I saw with previous FWB surface finish, the surface finish of the lp10/lp@ is stronger so your pistol remain like new even after years of use which is not the case with the FWB I saw.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Reinhamre wrote: The P44 is kind of nervous when the pellet leaves the muzzle. You may say that it is not “forgiving”, I have had the same feeling in a 84E (free pistol) One may accomplish astonishing results some time but disaster is lurking around the corner and the punishment does not feel fair.
This was *exactly* my experience with its predecessor, the Feinwerkbau P34, in Nairobi (they have two P34 as club air pistols, besides a couple of Röhm Twinmasters). I found the P34 very demanding and difficult to shoot well, compared to the utterly indulgent good old FWB 65 - you stick out the latter in rough target's direction, and it just stays there faithfully until you out it down ;-).
The P34 in contrast would punish even the slightest holding or release error immediately, just waiting to throw shots far off.

Alexander