10 meter pistol warm up

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

10 meter pistol warm up

Post by darticus »

Is there a warm up? How many shots are normal to warm up? Does each gun need a warm up?
.donthc

Post by .donthc »

am curious about this too.

Heard people mentioned that shooting blanks before starting any shots is good for ur shooting. blow out all the residues.

also heard abt how the 1st few shots are meant to warm up the barrel, to expand the barrel. ( dun really trust that one)
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Don't know about residues and such like - I only shoot Smallbore rifle, but my first couple of sighters are usually blow-off shots while I settle down into position (as the course of fire allows!), then I get into shooting seriously. Maybe just a psychological thing but it's something I tend to do - not focus too much on the first couple of sighters, then get in the zone when they go everywhere and I know I need to concentrate!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

A warm up for the shooter is more important than the pistol.

In rifle (especially full bore) there is a difference in POI with a cold bore or hot bore. With Air pistol there is no heat generated so the gun really doesn't need a "warm-up". A common practice is to release gas for a couple, three shoots during sighters (important only do this during sighters) this excerises the the regulator ensure the o-rings are seating and such. BUt again only do this during sighters, if done during prep time first offence is a warning second offence is a two point deduction from your first string, if you do it after sighters its a miss thus a 10 point deduction.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Richard H wrote: A common practice is to release gas for a couple, three shoots during sighters (important only do this during sighters) this excerises the the regulator ensure the o-rings are seating and such.
At every game there a lot of Pardini's shooter firing 2-3 shoot one after another. Is written on manual, or is a particolar think of Pardini?
I don't see other pistol brand doing this.
Thank you.
Bye.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I've seen people doing with all brands.

I have my doubts that it makes any difference but hey, even our host posted that in a recent post and if Scott says it I'll take it as a good thing to do.
David M

Pistol Warm Up

Post by David M »

The firing of a number of gas only shots (3 or 4) is a throwback to CO2 pistols when you had to bleed off any excess liquid and ensure you were only expelling gas, and it helped to temperature stabalize the tank.

With Spring pistols like the FWB 65 DO NOT DRY SHOOT without a pellet or a cleaning felt, you will do damage to the seals, buffer and eventually springs.

On a pre compressed pistol exercising the regulator will remove any oring residual stickiness, but it is arguable as to do it with a pellet or not. There is less shock load on the valve if you use a pellet as it offers some gas resistance.

On my Morini pre compressed pistol I do not expell gas but use the first couple of pellets to settle myself down and do not adjust sights until later. Sight adjustments are usual after a group of shots towards the end of ten shots.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm sure scott posted that compressed air pistols need 3 - 4 firings before they settle in and become consistent with regards the velocity. I normally expel gas once or twice at the start of a match before loading a pellet. NB/ you can only do that once the 'start' command has been given though.

Rob.
brucef

Post by brucef »

All this expelling gas, let us hope it is only from the pistol !
bryan

Post by bryan »

wheres all the engineers gone when you need them! from a rifle point of veiw, I have not experienced any such issues, but maybe if you stuck it in the cupboard for a long period it might be useful to fire some test rounds?

as for co2, if it has a metering valve, (some early pistols dont) and you weigh your cylinders correctly, I dont think need to bleed, fire etc. if you over fill the cylinder, it wont fire properly as chamber will have liquid instead of gas, quickest way is to remove cylinder a couple times expelling gas, or fire it lots times! but this makes everything quite cold, possibly causing more temp issues?

as for warm up shots, you have to have some to settle down and prepare for the comp, so mechanical issues are not an issue. as it can take a few shots to settle in, the shot placement is not important, assuming it is within a few mm of where you called it. further may mean it has been knocked or something.

how many warm up shots depends on what you train/practice. what suits you, anything from 5-30. seen less, seen more. dont know what would be considered normal. the more preparation you do before you get to the shooting line, the less preparation you need to do on the line one would think!
If you think your gun thinks it needs some warm up shots, then it does.

bryan