Ideal AP weight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
_Axel_

Ideal AP weight

Post by _Axel_ »

Did a search on this, but got nada...

What is your ideal airpistols weight? Have u adjusted the balance?
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

My wife has a Matchgun MG1 (mech trigger). She bought it when she began shooting as she liked the balance which was more to the rear compared with others she tried (Steyr, Morini).

Since buying it 2 years ago she has experimented with the angle of the counterbalance struts and the position of the weights on the struts to the extent of removing the struts entirerl. She found the struts being set closest to the barrel axis and the weights positioned mid-way along the balance beams suit her compared with the out-of-the box set up which was the same as in the picture. This reduced the front bias even more but she shoots 360-370(max) with zip training so it works for her light frame.

Marianne shoots right hand and left eye and has the grip rotated to suit this.

Cheers

Pete
Attachments
MG1 Blue.gif
MG1 Blue.gif (16.14 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
2650 Plus

Weight of ap

Post by 2650 Plus »

First I'd like to commend the above response as being spot on and very informative. My two cents worth is the weight, ballance, trigger and sights that you can shoot the highest scores with. Unfortunatly I am afraid that does nothing to .help you to decide. unless you can test fire whats on the market. Good shooting Bill Horton
amigodenorte

Post by amigodenorte »

I would advice buying a relative light AP. If to light, then just add weights. Reducing weigh of an AP that is basically heavy is difficult....

The MG1 mech. is a relatively light weapon. The electronic version of same, the MG1E is much heavier.

The new Feinwerkbau P44 is a light gun, which the former P40 was not.
David Levene

Re: Ideal AP weight

Post by David Levene »

_Axel_ wrote:What is your ideal airpistols weight? Have u adjusted the balance?
I am interested why you ask this question.

Weight and balance are such personal things that, at least for those who have bothered to do more than just accept the factory default for the gun they buy, you will probably get as many different answers as the number of people who reply.

I like a very heavy gun set up to dampen rapid movements, others cannot lift my gun more than a few times before fatigue sets in. Who is right? We obviously all are.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

I bought an AP40 which is pretty light. I then added the large barrelweight from Hämmerli and it's right benieth the barrel and I put it close to the trigger. It gave a nice feeling of balance. It's not flimsy but it's not very front heavy either.
Richard H

Re: Ideal AP weight

Post by Richard H »

David Levene wrote:
_Axel_ wrote:What is your ideal airpistols weight? Have u adjusted the balance?
I am interested why you ask this question.

Weight and balance are such personal things that, at least for those who have bothered to do more than just accept the factory default for the gun they buy, you will probably get as many different answers as the number of people who reply.

I like a very heavy gun set up to dampen rapid movements, others cannot lift my gun more than a few times before fatigue sets in. Who is right? We obviously all are.
I'm sort of with you David, I actually have the 75 gr barrel weight on my GSP (which many whine about being to nose heavy already).

I also agree with the other poster that there is no harming in buying a light gun as it's much easier to add weight then take it away, plus you can add it where you like to get the balance you prefer.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

Balance and weight is a puzzling topic. I have often belived a gun to be much heavier only coz the point of balance is different. My Morini CM22 feels much heavier compared to a Walther KSP for example! Both weight 1200g or so (gr means grain, g=gram).