Alfa Proj Sport Anyone?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jlochey

Alfa Proj Sport Anyone?

Post by jlochey »

I really like the looks of this gun (http://www.topgunairguns.com/Alpha-Proj.htm) and it's ease of use, etc.

Can anyone speak about it's merits or demerits?

Thank you,

John
joe1347

Re: Alfa Proj Sport Anyone?

Post by joe1347 »

jlochey wrote:I really like the looks of this gun (http://www.topgunairguns.com/Alpha-Proj.htm) and it's ease of use, etc.

Can anyone speak about it's merits or demerits?

Thank you,

John
Any recent opinions on the Alfa-Proj air pistol?

derekm

Post by derekm »

I've had an Alfa Sport for almost a year. The overall quality and finish is very good. Anatomical grip needed no mods, for me at least (small hands).The latest version has a bolt action breech, which is an improvement over the "door flap" version. Trigger is multi adjustable, 1 or 2 stage, stage lengths, weight, reach, blade angle, blade length. Quoted accuracy at worst is 8mm ctc, but Rada, of topairguns found that with heavier pellets, this reduced to 5mm. 70 or so shots per 12 gram, dependent on MV and temperature. Sight base is long, front sight 3 width changeable. Rear sight fine click stop adjustments with choice of two slot widths.

The gun does not quite have the "feel" of Walther/FWB et al, but nor does it normally have the price. It may not be considered by many as a "World Class" pistol (is a Tau?) but not many shooters are world class either.

Overall, a very good value gun that should take most shooters to, or way past their limits. Due to it's light weight, it is probably a better bet for most than say the IZZY. You can add weight if needed, but it is hard to remove!

I bought mine direct from the factory at the Czech Republic retail price of 238 Euros, shipped to UK with European VAT paid. If I had had to purchase at the UK recommended retail price of £340 Sterling, I would have searched for a used, older, "world class" CO2 pistol, for a similar price.

I have no problems with the Alfa, am perfectly satisfied with it and would purchase again, but as said, it all has to be taken in (price) perspective.

In UK at least, there is a great tendency for an importer to find an exotic looking gun and simply to put an equally exotic price on it, bearing no relation to value or cost.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

I was looking at the alfa web site and noticed an Air Pistol that I don't believe that I've seen (for sale) in the USA - the Alfa Classic

http://www.alfa-proj.cz/en/products/fir ... /alfa-co2/

Granted, Alfa-Proj air pistols are not widely available in the USA, but I believe that only the Alfa Sport shown previously (see above) is readily available in the USA.

Shown below is a better photo of the similarly priced (in Europe) Alfa Classic. Possibly I'm in the minority, but I think that the Alfa Classic is much more appealing than the Alfa Sport with regards to appearance. To me, the blue barrel shroud on the Alfa Sport seems to make the pistol look more like a childs toy, while the Alfa Classic (below) has a mean (serious) look to it.

Of course, the Olympic AP purists will still dismiss the CO2 Alfa Classic as not worthy of consideration. But if you want a new Air Pistol and don't want to spend more than $500, I wonder if the Alfa Classic would be a better bet (for an extra $100 or so) than the IZH46M? At least the Alfa Classic doesn't look like a farm implement (unlike the IZH46M) and the stock grip on the Alfa Classic looks pretty good - again unlike the IZ46M.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

what sort of sight adjustemts are avaible, width of notch etc?
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

_Axel_ wrote:what sort of sight adjustemts are avaible, width of notch etc?
From the Alfa manual, it looks like the notch on the rear site can not be adjusted (for width). If it helps, from the photo (in the Alfa manual), the rear sight looks identical to the rear sight on my Aeron Chameleon. Actually, there seems to be quite a few similarities between the CO2 Alfa and the CO2 Aeron and even the CO2 TAU looks a little like a CO2 Aeron. I wonder if there's a close business relationship between the three Czech Air Pistol companies (I think that all three are in BRNO) or whether they just happen to share some of the same suppliers?
derekm

Post by derekm »

Just back from a long vacation.
The Alfa Sport and presumably the Classic also, have a triangular foresight post that gives 3 widths. Vernier not handy so can't give dimensions. Rear sight plate can be turned over to give a wide notch or a narrow one, so overall a reasonable choice of combinations.
I would also be interested to know if one of the variable width rear sights from the Aeron (I believe) could be easily fitted to the Alfa. As already stated, there appear to be a lot of similarities between the Czech guns.