Competition vs Training Performance

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Haleva

A report

Post by Haleva »

Actually I did pretty well (from the result perspective), a new personal best in competition : 555.
However, there was no improvement regarding the way I shot (I finished 1min before the end of time and the last shot took me 5min to release 9and it was a 9, after a good sequence of 3 tens.

I started bad (although I never count and usually does not look at the target, only at the rear of the target when I lay it down on the pile), the first series was 88 (and it felt like 83...). The second series was 91 (felt like 85...). During the end of the second series (it was about 50min in competition) I started feeling better and I entered into a rather long period of time that I aborted in a lower rate , the result was a 94,94 and 93 , during the fifth series I started to struggle again abort wise, but my performance did not suffer much (I somehow manage to release good shots with the higher abort level). The final series was a 95.

I was rather supprised from the end results, I expected a lower result since I felt I realy messed the first two series. As much as I tried to take it one shot at a time I'm not sure that the fact that I thought I messed up the first two series did not release the pressure and caused me a more relax performance in the last 4 series.
RobStubbs

Re: A report

Post by RobStubbs »

Haleva wrote:Actually I did pretty well (from the result perspective), a new personal best in competition : 555.
However, there was no improvement regarding the way I shot (I finished 1min before the end of time and the last shot took me 5min to release 9and it was a 9, after a good sequence of 3 tens..
The 'secret' is between your ears. Only you can change the way you shoot with regards to your own thought processes. From afar it appears you lose confidence and that's what's causing you to keep aborting. Practice aborting during training because after an abort you can go into a downwards spiral of self doubt leading to multiple aborts. Pehaps consider seeing a sports psychologist if you really can't change your mental processes on your own.

Anyway good shoot with the new PB !

Rob.
JulianY

Re: A report

Post by JulianY »

Haleva wrote:Actually I did pretty well (from the result perspective), a new personal best in competition : 555.
However, there was no improvement regarding the way I shot (I finished 1min before the end of time and the last shot took me 5min to release 9and it was a 9, after a good sequence of 3 tens.
After that I don't think there is any questioning your ability,you just need to work on you confidence

Take a look at the results of www.intershoot.nl - these are international players under international pressure.

jy
2650 Plus

mental approach to shooting

Post by 2650 Plus »

I am going to over simplify but this is as far as I got dealing with the issues under discussion. I have two issues that arrise during competition. The first is being too keyed up to think clearly anb control the gun properly. I deal with this by using distraction techniques.The tension seems to come from the situation I'm in, There fore I try to leave,[escape from ] the situation for a few minutes and wind down. After I relax I review my shot sequence emphasing totally positive thought processes and execute the next shot. The opposite problem also surfaces from time to time. I stert dropping points because of carlessness. I think I become to lazy to execute the shoot properly. The solution for me is to key up. I increase the level of tenseness by looking at my closest competitors target, I say to myself ,"I am goimg to beat your axx."and go to work to do just that.