Beneli MP 90

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
1413str

Beneli MP 90

Post by 1413str »

Has anyone used a Beneli MP 90. Pros/cons? I'm looking for something beside a S&W 41. I'm going to use an optical sight and the Beneli seems
like a nice pistol but I haven't found anyone who knows anything about them.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Using the search function gives me app. 114 results, so even discounting the WTS/WTB stuff, I guess that would give you one or two people knowing something about it...
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

Hello,

I went from a 41 to a Benelli 95 with upgraded trigger unit and grips, making it essentially a 90. Much more reliable than the 41, great ergonomics, but VERY different rolling trigger.

If you can find a 90 at a good price, I'd go for it. Some people denigrate the Benelli, but I thought it was a fine pistol.

Bill
pilkguns in Belgium

Post by pilkguns in Belgium »

we just got a nice used one in trade. Call the office if you are interested
terrypchan

Re: Benelli MP90

Post by terrypchan »

I shoot a Benelli MP90S World Cup, .32 caliber, for the ISSF Centerfire match. Its a fantastic gun. Larry Carter is the Benelli dealer for the USA and has a full selection of the Benelli's standard and centerfire pistols. Lots of parts available from Larry's as well. The gun is very simple to strip down with no tools and is very easily cleaned. It's never jammed on me and requires very little maintainance. I bought mine used and it has the Nill grips on it, so I can't tell you anything about the factory grips, but the Nill grips are very nice for it. The previous owner tells me he shot several thousand rounds through it and never had any problems either.
Russ

Benelli MP 90S 32 cal

Post by Russ »

Benelli MP 90S 32 cal...
What is best ammo for this pistol and where I can buy it?
Thank you.
Russ
terrypchan

Re: Benelli MP 90S 32 cal

Post by terrypchan »

.32 cal S&W Long WadCutter ammo is what you need for the Benelli MP90S. Note: round nose ammo will NOT work in this gun! Centerfire ammo is expensive. If money is no object then you might want to try Lapua .32 S&W LWC, 98grains -- it goes for around $28/box of 50 rounds, $560/case of 1000 rounds. I've also shot the Fiocchi .32 cal S&W LWC and its less $$$ than the Lapua but can be hard to find in the USA. The Fiocchi is decent ammo. There is also Magtech, Federal and PMC, for other brands of .32 cal S&W LWC. It really comes down to just finding some S&W LWC ammo that is available. Most shooters save their brass and reload. If you are in a location that MidwayUSA will sell ammo to, they carry the Fiocchi, Magtech, and Federal brands. You also might just buy a few boxes of whatever Larry Carter has in stock so you can test some different brands.
Russ

Ammo for Benelli MP 90S 32 cal

Post by Russ »

Thank you! It will helps!
Russ
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

The S&W M41 is in .22 LR so I guess some info about the .22LR Benelli might be relevant. My wife has one. She finds it reliable and accurate. The trigger is decidely dodgy compared with my MG2 and may have an impact on her RFS of 25 metre pistol scores but the precision scores are steadily improving and she is well into the 260's now.

Adjusting the trigger requires an engineering degree and a significant amount of patience compared with more modern firearms.

I've shot it too and think it was also good value for money.
K5Tangos

MP90

Post by K5Tangos »

I shot an MP90 for about 3 years, from '03 until last year. In my opinion, it's a solid performer and an even better value. I had a Docter mounted on top, but the receiver is grooved for both .22 dovetail and weaver slots. There isn't much room so mounting can sometimes be tricky depending on the size of the optics and rings but generally works out.

Initially, the pistol had an tight headspace issue and would on rare occasions double with Federal 711B ammo. Only this American ammo had the issue - all other match brands were fine. It took Mr. Carter of Larry's guns all of 10 minutes to bump the barrel back slightly and adjust the headspace, and the problem went away permanently.

I found it to be extremely accurate, reliable and forgiving to shoot. It was not at all picky about ammo, either. Always reliable, the better quality ammo just brought better groups and kept the gun cleaner for longer.

There were a few issues I did not like so much. The grips and optics must be taken off to remove the slide for complete cleaning. No matter how careful I was, there was always an impact shift when reassembled. To counter this, wiping the breech face and swabbing the bore while still assembled seemed to work fine if I was worried about the dot.

In addition, the trigger unit seemed to need adjustment every thousand rounds or so. Nothing major, just a little tweak to keep the weight legal and the travel where I wanted it.

Overall, the little peccadillos were insignificant compared to the benefits, especially if you are switching from a conventional style pistol to the "European" layout.

I would certainly recommend the pistol, more so when cost is a factor.