Rohm Twinmaster AP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pgfaini

Rohm Twinmaster AP

Post by pgfaini »

Just ran across, on Gunbroker, a German repeating PCP called a Rohm Twinmaster. It seems to be a competition quality pistol, but I'm not familiar with the new repeaters. He says he paid about $650 for it last year, so maybe it's not a high quality gun, I don't know what they run. It loads by the use of removeable disks (cylinders)? The starting bid is $500, and it may not even go for that amount based upon the original purchase price. This is the link, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=71153764

Paul
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

From memory, and I could be wrong, the Twinmaster has to be manually re-cocked between shots.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

David, I re read the description, and he states it operates like a double action revolver. That brings trigger quality into question. I thought the new repeating AP's used air pressure to reload the chamber. I can't think of any other way to preserve a single-shot quality trigger . I once owned a Crossman CO2 copy of a double action revolver, and the trigger pull was awfull.

Paul
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

pgfaini wrote:I thought the new repeating AP's used air pressure to reload the chamber.
The Steyr and FWB (and I am sure others) do.

You know what they say Paul, "if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is".
Mike S-J

Post by Mike S-J »

I'm sure you can find someone with the oposite view, but my advice is stear clear of this gun if what you want is a competition-quality repeater (or single shot). My club has two to get people started - they invariably scare people away from AP. The trigger is an absolute pig.
It would be fine for back-yard plinking, and fun, but then you could buy cheaper guns that are much more fun.
Thats my tuppence worth.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

pgfaini wrote:David, I re read the description, and he states it operates like a double action revolver. That brings trigger quality into question. I thought the new repeating AP's used air pressure to reload the chamber. I can't think of any other way to preserve a single-shot quality trigger . I once owned a Crossman CO2 copy of a double action revolver, and the trigger pull was awfull.

Paul
Hi

I've shot one of these a couple of times. IF you shoot bullseye, IDPA, or other pistol matches with a revolver, AND you want to shoot inside, this air pistol MAY be for you. I don't think it shoots single action at all, and the double action trigger pull was hefty.

Mike
Wichita KS
gunnery

Post by gunnery »

I had one, its a good plinker, its shoot single and double aktion.
It is NOT a match grade gun !!!!
It is good to begin to shoot, but verry fast not good inof.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

I totally agree with Mike S-J.
Whilst it's not good to 'bag' anything or anyone - this pistol is definitely only for plinking.
It was my first gun after the IZH-46M. I thought I'd be able to single shot and rapid fire with it.
The trigger is dreadful. Both for rapid and single shot. Plus - if it looses velocity (as mine did after about 2000 shots) there is no adjustment and an email back from the factory tells that it cannot be adjusted.
I can give it one praise. It shoots straight - the bench test I gave it when first purchased was impressive.
But PLEASE - if you have ever fired a Steyr, Feinwerkbau, Tau, Morini - then you'd never want to own one of these.
Sorry to be so negative!!!
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Our club has the single shot version of the Twinmaster as a club gun. While the cocking mechanism is unusual, there is nothing wrong with its accuracy. I can shoot as well with it as my Morini 162e and recently one of our up and coming shooters shot a 550 with it.
We purchased the Rohm and pump for about half what a Morini, Steyr etc would cost.
Don't knock it unless you have tried it.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Colin C says: Don't knock it unless you have tried it.

And you'll probably notice Colin, that it was only those who tried it, who had something adverse to say about it.
For myself - I admit that price was the deciding factor when I brought mine. LP 50 was more than twice the price - yet I thought - both pistols did the same thing. Shoot straight yes - everything else - No.
I wasted $650 - as I went on to buy an LP 50 after being so disappointed.
It appears that your single shot may differ slightly in the trigger area than the rapid version - which I think this thread originally started out talking about.
For the twinmaster top version , the adjustment for the trigger for single fire is very average - and in my instance I couldn't get the trigger under 600gms.
Rapid fire could be without cocking the trigger - but if you decided to do that the best the trigger could be adjusted to was about 1500gms. Otherwise - cock the trigger between shots (using the 8 shot rotary magazine) and settle for 600gms plus.
This is definitely not a rapid fire pistol for those who want to enter competitions or take 10m target shooting seriously.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Point taken, John.
The trigger on the single shot version is quite good, adjusts well. The model we bought for the club is a vast improvement on the one available 3 years ago which a member had and then quickly ditched in favor of a Steyr.

We don't shoot rapid fire AP in Australia probably because it doesn't get cold enough to stop us shooting .22 rapidfire outdoors. I don't even think it is a sanctioned match which would allow us to shoot it under our stringent handgun laws. (Yeah, air pistols are handguns in Australia, the same as a .44 Magnum) Strictly speaking we are only allowed to plink at authorised ranges and anyone practising in the shed or down the hallway faces loss of their handgun licence if caught.
2650 Plus

twin master

Post by 2650 Plus »

My son trains with one because the trigger feels very much like his duty gun. A Glock ,apparently OK for cops . The trigger is not impossible and he gets mid ten meter scores in the 93, 94 range shooting with a two hand hold. the magazines Hold eight pellets and while suitable for his purpose I cannot reccomend the pistol for serious competetion. The Styer Anschutz, Fienwerkbau, and the Itallian super guns are so much better suited to the compitition enviornment.Good Shooting, Bill Horton