transporting of AP cylinders

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
elliott

transporting of AP cylinders

Post by elliott »

I'll be travelling to Ft. Benning for the Nats in June and will be flying from San Francisco. Can I transport the Air Cylinders in my checked luggage or do they need to be shipped to Ft. Benning by Fed Ex , etc.?
Elliott Dushkin
Paul Ha

Post by Paul Ha »

Elliot,
Last year I did that, Denver/Atlanta, the TSA people did not check if my cylinders were empty.
In fact, both check-in TSA terminals did not even open my gun case. I had the locked gun case double-packed in a locked suitcase I bought for $5 in a thrift store.
HTH, Paul.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Definitely NOT in your checked luggage. You can usually carry one cylinder if it is attached to the gun but no guarantees -- the TSA "rules" say that the tank must be open for inspection which is not easily done. To be safe, I would FedEx the spare tank and carry a mailer for the on-gun tank if it must be opened for inspection.

Also, I would declare that I have a firearm when checking-in rather than say anything about an air tank.
Paul Ha

Post by Paul Ha »

And, I did declare that I was transporting firearms ----- getting me to the TSA terminals. The red-tag was locked inside an aluminum guncase which was locked inside the everyday-looking suitcase together with a 2nd red-tag.
Paul.
steve swartz

Post by steve swartz »

Since the rule came out, I have travelled by air with my gear >20 times (LAX, IAS, DFW, ATL, CSP, etc.). Mainly Delta and American.

Declare a firearm and do the drill. Including both at the counter AND by TSA:

- Times checked guns: 4-6 times
- Times checked cylinder empty: 1

The one time I as asked to show cylinder empty I used the "small puff of air" technique and this satisfied the Delta ticket agent.

Most recent change (centralizing TSA at one location per terminal) I note many TSA agents actually asking me to leave while they inspect, as opposed to asking me to stick around to answer questions/lock up.

Steve Swartz