Adjusting Cant on My New LP@ Light

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
philipnow

Adjusting Cant on My New LP@ Light

Post by philipnow »

I received my new Anschutz LP@ Light last week. I like my Izzy, but I like my LP@ Light even better! It's a really nicely crafted shooting instrument. As some of you may recall, I got an Izzy for last Christmas, and was having a lot of fun with it (as discussed in post viewtopic.php?t=14842). The problem that arose was that I probably over did it too much too soon and exacerbated previous shoulder tendinitis. So I thought I'd try something lighter. I had read Gary's posts about his good experience with the LP@ Jr. (I guess Anschutz has renamed it "Light" now), so I bought one.

The lightness of the LP@ Light, compared to my Izzy, helps my shoulder a lot. I wasn't naive enough to imagine that my scores would change drastically -- they haven't -- but I'm now able to shoot more without the pain I previously experienced.

One thing I didn't like initially about the LP@ Light was the angle of the barrel with respect to the grip with regard to the horizontal -- cant, I believe it's called. I found myself having to hold my arm up too high and downwardly angulate my wrist and the pistol to achieve proper aim. Apparently some grips have adjustable cant (Morini?), but I don't see that mine is. I searched some here on Target Talk, but didn't find mention how to change it, so I puzzled a bit, and figured a shim could be made to be placed in the grip that would change the cant. (I imagine you could achieve the same effect by chiseling the grip, but I didn't want to do anything that drastic.)

What I did was to fashion a thin shim out of oak, with about 4 to 5 degrees angulation, and placed it in the grip beneath the angled piece of metal that goes between the wooden grip and the pistol metal block. I'm very pleased with the results. It allows for a hold that is more natural feeling for me, and it seems to have tightened up my groupings a little too. Here are some pictures:

Given the vast collective experience on this forum, many have no doubt addressed and solved this issue before. What do you think of my solution? Is there a better way?

Philip
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Philip,
I was wondering if you ever got your new air pistol. Your solution is fine if it does what you need. There is an easier way, or at least there used to be. The Steyr and Anschutz frames have set screws on the bottom and rear of the frame that you screw in/out to adjust the tilt, yaw, and cant. Those screws bear against the metal plate shown in your photo. Your wedge is fine for course correction, but if you need more look for the adjusting screws. They are mentioned on page 29 of my manual.
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Philip,
I am attaching a link to the 10P files on pilkguns.com that shows the adjusting screws I am referring to in my reply above. If the link doesn't work, go to pilkguns.com, click on the Coaching & Info tab, then click on 10P files, then go to Anschutz LP@Junior. The link: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spanslpatjr.htm
philipnow

Post by philipnow »

Thanks Gary! So that's what "With the countersunk screws on the lower and back part of the grip block the grip position can be adapted to the individual requirements" on page 29 of the manual means! Doh! I feel rather stupid. The picture you linked to makes it more clear.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

What you are referring to isn't cant, it's normally called "drop".

Cant is what happens if you rotate the wrist when on aim, resulting in the sights not being horizontal.

Glad you have found a solution, enjoy the gun.
Pradeep5

Post by Pradeep5 »

Drop would be the same as "rake"?

I believe the Morinis with mechanical triggers allow adjustable rake, but not cant.

The electronic Morinis don't have any adjustments (except palm shelf height).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Pradeep5 wrote:Drop would be the same as "rake"?
Yes, as in "dropped wrist".
philipnow

Post by philipnow »

Thanks David & Pradeep.

Philip
Torn Fibre

Post by Torn Fibre »

Hi Philip

Hope you now have more enjoyment and no more pains with your new aquisition. Lovely oak wood work and great pictures.

ATB
TF