Reaction Time: Visual vs. Auditory

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tleddy

Reaction Time: Visual vs. Auditory

Post by tleddy »

It is a common misconception that visual reaction time is faster than auditory. Here is a URL for an article on the topic:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:kxB ... =firefox-a

I apologize for the very long URL...a Google search of the title above will also give references to scholarly articles.

Tillman
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

Heres a tinyurl'ed version of the document w o "caching" ;)

http://tinyurl.com/2dybxt

Thanx for the link!

Post by Guest »

1This experiment was fabricated by David A. Gibson to serve as an APA publication
format guide for laboratory courses taught in the Department of Psychology, Philosophy, and
Religious Studies, The University of Tennessee at Martin. Because these data do not exist,
reprints of the article are not available. Had this experiment actually been carried out and
published, reprints would be made available from the author.
humm this sure killed credibility.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It may depend on the exact nature of the signal, but I do have evidence to support the notion that the brain processes sound faster than sight.

Back when Morse code was still used in the Navy, they used it with an audio signal for radio communication, and with "blinkers" for close communications from ship to ship. The code blinkers were basically a small spotlight with a mechanical shutter assembly over the front. A lever was used to open or close the shutter, effectively turning the beam on and off.

Trained operators could receive Morse code radio signals at rates over 50 words per minute. About the fastest anyone code receive Morse code with the blinker (according to a navy signalman I queried) is around 15 words per minute.

I think part of the difference is that the ear can learn sequences, so you get to recognize the code for "the" as an entire word, not as three distinct letters. I don't think there is a visual equivalent. That doesn't apply directly to using lights or buzzers for shooting, but I suspect the difference is still skewed towards the ear being faster.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Now here's the question, I don't know maybe I missed something how does this apply to shooting?
tleddy

Reation time and shooting

Post by tleddy »

With lights the cue is entirely visible; turning targets may have a distinct sound of the electronic relay or compressed air activating the turners. The fact that there is an auditory cue may give an advantage to the scores on any turning target system that produces a sound.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

The navy morse code example has a huge problem- *sending* messages with the blinkers are much, much slower than with morse keys.

Of course, you can't receive a message faster than it is sent . . .
tleddy

Light speed

Post by tleddy »

Actually, if all intereted would Google the subject, I think there are nore studies. Would appreciate any references.

Tillman
bryan

Post by bryan »

couldn't see if the test subject knew if it would be audio or visual.
think that would of affected the results.
as for them having a mean reaction time of .15 seconds, I think they should be trying out as racing car drivers!

but the difference between the two, assuming it actually exists, is tiny.
your personal reaction time would have a far greater impact on how much time you had for each shot.

I think you are looking in the wrong place