Steyr LP-50 Newbie, Questions and Advice Needed........

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ed1955

Steyr LP-50 Newbie, Questions and Advice Needed........

Post by Ed1955 »

Fellow Shooters,
This spring, I will be a new owner of a LP-50 Steyr pistol. An accomplished airgunner is selling it to me in brand new condition and I have a few questions. First, the pistol has a scope rail for red dots or pistol scopes. Is this an 11mm rail? How is the velocity adjusted in the pistol? Where is the least expensive place to purchase additional magazines? How loud would you rate this pistol compared to other airguns? Also, any information on what I can expect enjoying this pistol will be greatly appreciated. Although I'm bound to do some informal plinking and squirrel elimination, I plan on disciplining myself into the ten meter game. I live in NE Pennsylvania and plan on looking for some sort of competition with the gun. Any and all information or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Respectfully,
Ed
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Although the velocity can be adjusted the LP5 and 50 will start to malfunction if you raise it much beyond the factory setting (490-500) ( usually fails to cycle). Basically the LP 50 sounds the same as an LP10 not a lot of difference among any of the top AP's. If your in the states Pilkingtons can get you magazines there is no cheap source for mags as theye are all factory mags there is mon after market mags. I wouldn't use it for shooting squirrels it's no where's near powerful enough and would be pretty cruel. If you want to hunt get a proper air rifle that's powerful enough to do the job properly.

If you want to shoot 10m you'll need the single shot magazine and dump the red dot and use the standard open sights.
cdf

Post by cdf »

The LP50 is a sweet shooter , I have produced some sweet groups with mine . It has a single stage trigger , which is very nice but not in the same class as the LP1/10 . Mine has never hiccupped , reliable as a traffic light , a clubmate of mine has an LP5 with an equally flawless reliability record .

Chris
mad5757

Post by mad5757 »

Only time mine hiccuped was when I just had to mess with the velocity setting. I just couldn't leave it alone. Doh! It would full auto two or three shots and then jam. Made some really nice groups whn it did that. LOL. Turned it back to factory setting and it functions flawlessly.

I have a Leupold 2X pistol scope setup on mine for just plinking. I used to have tons of .177 pellets that I never used. Not any more!! The LP50 seems to digest any pellet you feed it including all the usual round nose pellets. And did I mention it's fun?
Dale McClure