CO2 cylinder filled... Where?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jlochey

CO2 cylinder filled... Where?

Post by jlochey »

OK, I tried first to search for this answer on the forum, but could not find it.

When somebody owns a CO2 gun, how do they get it filled?

I suppose that you could do it yourself or have your local gun store fill it(?)

Is this like having the tanks on paintball guns filled? Same concept?

Do some actually have CO2 at home?

Thanks, sorry I never quite caught how this was done.

John
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I think that the vast majority will have a tank at home.
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

Ok, thanks.

I understand the obstacles to filling with CA at home, but how do they differ with CO2?

Is CO2 legal and everything to have in the house? Can it be purchased easily?

What is the upside vs. CA? It doesn't seem like that much(?)

No flames please, I am naive about this.

John
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes it's leagl to have CO2 at home.

As for the filling process between the two they are very similar, except for the CO2 to get a full fill you have to chill the cylinder prior to filling and weight the cylinder to ensure that it is full. Compressed air you just screw it on to your tank with the proper adapter and fill it both the large tank and the small cylinder are 200 bar so there is no way of over filling it (as long as you are using a 200 bar tank). Compressed air can also be pumped up by hand.

I really don't know of any obstacles that you speak of for either of the propellents other than they are compressed gas cylinders and need to be treated safely and with respect.
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

I guess the CO2 seems like more of an effort, with little gain(?)

Is this why CA is so prevalent?

John
eclam

CO2

Post by eclam »

Try a local place that recharges fire extinguishers.

They will as sell you converted CO2 extinguishers with
just a valve -> allowing you to fill the batton sized range
portable tanks.

As far as safety. Keeping compress CO2 around is
legal and safe. That is what is in a type B/C fire extinguisher.

Compresse CO2 is a fire supressor and will not explode
(unlike compress air which can: fuel an ignition source).
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Try Sporting Goods stores that sell Paint ball guns they will usually have a refill station for CO2.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

jlochey wrote:I guess the CO2 seems like more of an effort, with little gain(?)

Is this why CA is so prevalent?

John
CO2 was first due to the physics of CO2 they switched to compressed air, zUnless you are shooting in very extremes of temperature there really is no difference between the 2.

You may find one more readily available where you live too which could be a factor.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

When I used CO2, I had my cylinders filled at a local bottling company, that serviced soda fountains.

Paul
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

John, CO2 cylinders for the gun can be refilled at any sports store that sells paintball supplies, and refills paintball CO2 cylinders.

CO2 is safe to keep around the house. The bulk fill CO2 tanks can be dangerous, but common-sense safety rules will prevent accidents. Just make sure you keep the cylinder away from heat (don't store it next to the furnace or hot water tank) and keep the cylinder chained upright to prevent the cylinder from being knocked over and braking the valve off, creating a rocket. Yes, both cases of overheating and breaking the valve off are extremely rare, but you don't want them to happen to you. If a confined space were to become filled with CO2, and someone were to enter that space, they could pass out or suffocate due to lack of oxygen. Again, a very rare occurance, but be aware and use common sense.

If you fill your own gun cylinders, make sure you use a scale, and that the bulk cylinder is not filled to a pressure higher than the pressure rating of the gun cylinder. It is not necessary to chill the gun cylinder first, but it does help to get the most complete fill.

If you want to fill your own gun cylinders, you will need a bulk fill tank, and a fill adapter. To obtain a cylinder, check with your local welding supply shop. I was quoted $110 and $115 for a 20# tank by two local shops. Filling the tank is $15-$20, depending on which shop I'd take it to. Make sure the bulk tank has a dip tube, because the gun cylinder is actually filled with liquid CO2, not gaseous CO2. Make sure the bulk tank has a current hydrostatic test stamp. A hydrostatic test inspects the tank and makes sure it can handle the pressures involved.

The fill adapter is the connection between the bulk tank and the gun cylinder. You can usually get one from the gun manufacturer, or have a welding shop make one up for you. One end will have a CGA320 fitting to fit to the bulk tank. The other end will have an adapter to fit your gun cylinder. Some adapters will have a vent valve so any gas in the adapter can be vented off, instead of leaking out as the adapter is removed.

You should try to estimate how much CO2 you will use in a year. It costs me $2 to fill a 2.5 oz cylinder for my 887 rifle. A bulk tank would cost $125 filled, and an adapter would be $45. So for the $170 cost of my own bulk tank and fill station, I could fill my gun cylinder 85 times. A cylinder lasts me about 3 weeks. At that rate, it would take about 5 years to pay back the cost of the bulk fill tank and adapter. Of course, the trade off is the convenience of being able to refill whenever you want, and not having to wait for the local store to open.
GaryBF

CO2

Post by GaryBF »

John,
Read this post on page 3 below: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=14637. Also read the article on pilkguns.com: click on "Coaching & Info" tab, click on "Pistol Stuff", read "Shooting CO2 Match Pistols".