NEW AP SHOOTER NEEDS INPUT ON GUNS

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
hb10mshoter

NEW AP SHOOTER NEEDS INPUT ON GUNS

Post by hb10mshoter »

I'm not new to shooting (metalic, 10 m rifle, shotgun sports) but I just shot a izh 46m and im hooked. I'm low on cash and looking for a begining gun. I'm looking into an izzy, gamo compact, or a daisy 747 or 777. If any body out there has advice, please give me a post. I know those guns are in different price levels but i need so insight.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

HB - we all started out as new shooters. Welcome to the sport - it IS highly addictive!

With respect to your question, please use the SEARCH tool as you will find LOTS and LOTS of discussion threads on entry-level air pistols.

You'll also find lots of folks who will stick with two solid recommendations, the IZH-46 and the TAU-7. These two airguns get you the most bang for the buck, and also get you into the bottom end of the competitive pistols. While the Daisy's are nice airguns, few would recommend them as a solid platform upon which to build skill in the ISSF airgun event.
joe1347

Re: NEW AP SHOOTER NEEDS INPUT ON GUNS

Post by joe1347 »

hb10mshoter wrote:I'm not new to shooting (metalic, 10 m rifle, shotgun sports) but I just shot a izh 46m and im hooked. I'm low on cash and looking for a begining gun. I'm looking into an izzy, gamo compact, or a daisy 747 or 777. If any body out there has advice, please give me a post. I know those guns are in different price levels but i need so insight.
Are you willing to go for a used Air Pistol for about the same price as the new ones listed above (in bold)?

Personally, I went through the same drill about 1 year ago and started off with a Daisy 747 (purchased from our host - Pilkguns), but found that I wanted a better grip and didn't care for having to pump (the lever) between shots. So I just switched to a used Aeron Chameleon (CO2 gas gun) - which wasn't that much more expensive than the new Daisy 747.
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Of the guns you mentioned, only the Izzy is worthy of consideration and it has its faults. You first need to decide how much you want to spend. If your budget is limited, so are your choices. The IZH-46M is a good starter for a single stroke pneumatic. The TAU-7 might be a good starter in CO2. Or look around for something used. There have been many threads here about starter air pistols, so do some searching and reading as suggested above. Many here are willing to help, but you need to be more specific-there is no simple answer to your question.
hb10mshoter

response

Post by hb10mshoter »

I want to keep it simple. I am a certified scuba diver so a tank is possible but i rather not. I just want something that won't hold me back. I would shoot 10m for fun plus hopefully sectionals/regionals and beyond. The gamo looks good but i don't here much about it. the izzy looks the best, but the tau is ok. I have a co2 pistol so thats not a problem with the 12 grams. Thanks for the advice. A little more help like if somebody out there has shot some of those guns. The only reason the tau looks bad is because i would shoot in an 50 degree indoor range at times. Thanks.

PS Gary, I live in STL, U. City specifically
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

The IZH will not hold you back as you learn to apply the shooting principles you already know to 10m AP. The big issue with the IZH is the grips - you either have to spend the time with a Dremel and sandpaper to get them to fit your hand, or spend the money for better grips. If you do the latter, then you might as well look at a good used CO2 or CA pistol for the same total cost.
I spent a year with an IZH before moving on to something better, but I still have the IZH and enjoy shooting it. The other plus to the IZH is that it holds its value better than most entry level pistols, so you can get most of your money back if/when you decide to sell it.
JoeG

A Good Choice...

Post by JoeG »

I agree with Fred 100% and would recommend the IZH 46M. One of the differences between the original IZH 46 and the 46M is the grips. On the original the fit was okay but not great. With the stockier grips on the newer 46M there is plenty of meat to carve them to suit you. You can experiment with a chunk of modelling clay to get a form that might fit and then try to copy that in the wood with a Dremel as Fred mentioned. The cocking effort on the IZH is low and easy to deal with. The trigger can with some care be adjusted very nicely and there is no reason why you would not be happy with the gun for years to come. I shot my original IZH 46 for two years in competition before moving to my first precharged "scuba" gun. Our host Pilkguns sells the IZH and are wonderful people to deal with. If you do decide to head towards CO2 I would recommend you consider bulk fill rather than the 12 gram powerlets. Once you move into the $300 - $500 range there will be some very nice used CO2 guns to find (FWB, Walther, etc.), often on the used gun area of Pilkguns.com
JoeG

BTW....

Post by JoeG »

The first match pistol I got was a Gamo Compact which I would consider a step up from the Daisy's although a bit difficult to cock. I moved to the IZH 46 within six months and much appreciated the difference and step up it was. Balance and trigger were much superior in my opinion and you just can't go wrong for the price. I still have both my IZH 46 and 46M and do enjoy taking em out for a spin every now and then.... very pleasant guns. Joe G.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

There is no doubt the IZH 46 the best of the bunch but it is also the most expensive = second hand and option ?

The Daisy 777 looks quite interesting but accordingly to pilkguns 10p is discontinued ?

The Daisy 747 looks quite interesting it Lothar Walther barrel which may well be a reason to recommend in its own right. Whilst I have never handled one is certain seems to get some interesting review.

The Gamo compact, does not have the best reputation and the trigger on some models is far from crisp, however having said that, they are use in very large numbers in the uk. It is a particular favorite with the pony club who have produceed several Internatiol level shooters thiose shooters have progressed to steyrs and morini's but most of them cut their teeth on a gamo.

All the above are able to hold the 10 ring (I am guessing about the daisy, never seen one but that barrel should be able to) , so the bottom line with any of these will be your technique.

So for my money go the Izzy route, if you cant afford it; take you choice of what feels best in you hand.

JY
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI

Without weighing it, I would swear that a Daisy 747 is heavier than my .45 ACP 1911. It's definitely more nose heavy. Love the Tau-7.

Mike
Joe66

My 2-cents

Post by Joe66 »

I shot both the IZH46M, IZH46, and the Daisy 747.
The IZH46 is easier to cock than the IZH46M and it is less muzzle heavy, better balance. The 46 shoots about 400fps verses the 46M at 450fps. Of these two I preferred the 46. The 747, I thought has a better trigger than the 46s. The 747 has a very low report, good for indoor home shooting, but the velocity is lower than the 46. I don't mind this for 10-m AP shooting. The 747 I had, shoots a tighter group than either of the 46 and 46M. The only thing I don't like about the 747 is that you need to do an extra step of opening the bolt (not just cocking like the 46).

I sold my 747 and 46M and purchased a Steyr LP1c. It does a one hole group, not dime size group like the 747. If you don't mind spending a little more, a Steyr LP1c is the way to go. I saw a couple on line for $650 USD.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

First was a Beeman tempest, sure it simulates the feel of a centerfire pistol. Not in the same league as a Match pistol. Next I bought an Izh 46 and that pistol sent me on my way to this addiction. If I had the knowledge then that I have now I would hands down go directly to the Steyr LP1. 150 for the Tempest. 225 for the izzy, close to 400 could have gone to the Steyr. just my 2 pence.