Yet another new IZH user with a compression question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DaveyD

Post by DaveyD »

Greetings,
I see several posts regarding oiling the IZH 46M and compression problems. I recently got one of these, and out of the box, was shooting just fine. then the compression seems to have dropped off, so I looked for the little vent hole to the compression chamber. Danged if I can find that hole.
I see in another post, to cock the gun, turn it upside down and look for the hold that way, but this 46M does not have the hole in the spot where they noted it was for a 46.
This seems like a silly problem, but the owners manual is little help identifying where this vent hole is.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
DaveyD

I have found one of the problems for the lack of compression.. .in looking thru other posts, one reader said that he had to install the o rings on the bolt. sure enough, when I looked, there were no o-rings on the bolt. They were in a plastic bag with 2 front sights, a rear sight, and a piston seal.
So I installed the o-rings and now have wonderfull compression.
However, I still cannot find the vent hole on the compression chamber in which to oil this. Can someone please give me a hint where this puppy is?
thanks,
Dave
philipnow

Post by philipnow »

Hello Dave! Welcome to TargetTalk.

The vent hole is on top, right behind the breech. See figure 21, page 11 in the online user manual at http://www.airguninfo.com/izh46.pdf

My Izzy came with O-rings in place on the pistol, and also had two extra ones in the little plastic bag in the box. That's odd that yours didn't have any installed.

Philip
Torn Fibre

lost seals

Post by Torn Fibre »

Welcome to TT and the pleasures of self-enlightenment re the Izzy.

It is possible that after cocking if you inadvertently failed to lock down the bolt, then upon firing, the bolt seals would blow off. This happened to me only once and it won't happen again as it took nearly two hours to find those elusive blown away seals.

A few drops or a drop at a time of clean gun oil dropped into the transfer exhaust port, dryfire a few times, close the bolt and point the pistol downwards to allow the oil to travel through the poppet valve assembly and into the compression chamber. You can also apply oil to the base of the piston washer when the cocking handle is fully extended and the washer is visible.

There is also a small 3mm diameter breather hole in the topside of the compression chamber underneath the barrel and access requires the simple removal of the slide bar, however, it is still awkward to apply oil here without some ingenuity, like a syringe. The piston face can be directly lubed this way.

Periodically use a chronoscope/ chrony to see how the velocity is doing and oil every 500 pellets for minimum care avoiding dust and dirt at all times.

Cheers
Torn Fibre
DaveyD

Post by DaveyD »

After some additional searching on the web and in this forum and on the EAA site, I did find the "updated" version of the owners manual, which did have pictures and showed where the vent hole was.
I also ordered a seal kit from EAA so I have spares of those o-rings in case one falls out.
I don't remember ever firing without the bolt fully closed, but you never know.
Thanks for the help, it is appreciated.
Dave