Pistol shooting shoes and .177/4.5mm wad cutter pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bharat

Pistol shooting shoes and .177/4.5mm wad cutter pellets

Post by bharat »

1. Please recommend 'value for money' pistol shooting shoes.

2. Which brand/make of pellets are most suitable for practice and which one for use during competition?

3.The PCP I got from Morini had a test card showing using a 4.49mm H&N Finale match pellet. So, should I be using only 4.49 size pellets or 4.5mm can also be used.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Pistol shoes - either get expensive proper ones (mine are AHG) or get some deck or skate shoes, or even indoor football boots (shoes) have all been suggested and used.

Pellets. Probably best to stick to the factory size unless you want to test your gun fully. Try out 4.48 - 4.51 and test for group size in a rest. Also try different brands of pellets.

Do not use 2 different types of pellets. Train and compete with the same ones. It's not like they are expensive and it's better technically and mentally to train in an identical manner to how you compete.

Rob.
JulianY

Re: Pistol shooting shoes and .177/4.5mm wad cutter pellets

Post by JulianY »

bharat wrote:3.The PCP I got from Morini had a test card showing using a 4.49mm H&N Finale match pellet. So, should I be using only 4.49 size pellets or 4.5mm can also be used.
I am not sure what morini's test procedures are but I would expect them to test all sizes and if they say 4.49 then that is probably the best fit for your barrel. 4.5 will probably be fine but a tighter fit so there will be a slight reduction in speed and rotation though this may not affect you depending on batch.

Did the card mention the wight of the pellets used because that will be an important factor as well.

Julian
shadow

Shooting Shoes

Post by shadow »

I also have a pair of AHG/Allround shoes. The soles are VERY flat which contributes to a stable platform. They are really not all that comfortable. I would not wear them if you have to walk down range and do a LOT of scoring as in Bullseye 2700. They are great for Air Pistol where scoring is done offline. I have a friend with Sauer and AHG/Allround. He says they are very different shoes. If you are on a budget skateboard shoes or bowling shoes have a very flat sole and are very supportive.
Barry Markowitz

New shooting shoe options

Post by Barry Markowitz »

Aloha & Happy New Year. In the past I found that Van's flat shoes were an extremely cost effective alternative to proper shooting shoes, which never came in my 14 EEEEE size. My latest shooting shoes are New Balance 854 which are not only flat but are the correct width. New Balance shoes are usually on sale at Sports Authority...but I prefer to go to the New Balance Hawaii franchise store as they are so good at fitting the shoe and sharing all the latest product releases. Good shooting.
Fred Mannis

New Balance Shooting Shoes

Post by Fred Mannis »

Barry Markowitz wrote:Aloha & Happy New Year. In the past I found that Van's flat shoes were an extremely cost effective alternative to proper shooting shoes, which never came in my 14 EEEEE size. My latest shooting shoes are New Balance 854 which are not only flat but are the correct width. New Balance shoes are usually on sale at Sports Authority...but I prefer to go to the New Balance Hawaii franchise store as they are so good at fitting the shoe and sharing all the latest product releases. Good shooting.
I prefer the New Balance 811 with the easy on/off Velcro. The plastic strip in the sole keeps these shoes flat to the ground without being uncomfortable.