Extension tube is it a good idea ???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

B.T.Carstensen

Extension tube is it a good idea ???

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

I would like to put an Extension tube on my ANS 2013/690 but my coach said to ask some people about it so here I am asking what you guys think about a extension tube.

--Brian--
Last edited by B.T.Carstensen on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

If you do not know exactly WHY you would like to use it, then you are not ready for it yet.
What problems are you experiencing that you think an extension tube would solve?
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Anonymous wrote:If you do not know exactly WHY you would like to use it, then you are not ready for it yet.
What problems are you experiencing that you think an extension tube would solve?
I do not remember saying I was have problems I just ask what other people thought of them.
I have used one before but on a different rifle and my prone and kneeling scores where great. My Standing scores went up but not as much as prone and kneeling. But now with a new rifle my scores have gone a few points but my scores in prone and kneeling have gone done a few points and I know it had something to do with the tube. It help me find more of the error in my positions.

--Brian--

Post by Guest »

The arguments against the tube are:

1) The addded weight can change the barrel harmonics for the worse.

2) The expanding gasses can surge around the bullet and force it from its path.

3) It makes the rifle more susceptible to wobbbling in side winds.

4) Another thing to clean! The muzzle does get far dirtier with a tube.

This argument came up a month or two back on a UK forum; one British international said that his rifle shot slightly better groups without the tube on the Eley test range; but that HE shot better with the tube because of the increased sight radius. I do know of at least two shooters who have abandoned tubes after finding that their grouping during batch testing at Eley was unacceptable with the tube; others have reported no change in group size (or at least no noticeable difference).

Some have found that the POI changes dramatically (not just because of the sight radius increase), perhaps because the added weight is affecting the barrel harmonics and movement. Not everyone does, I have fitted tubes (6" and 12") to both my barrels, and had no change in POI except the expected rise due to the now lower fore-sight.

This would appear to be the main benfit of extension tubes, the increased sight radius does reduce the effects of aiming errors (probably why your standing scores did not increase as much as the prone or kneeling, as the hold in that position is not as good).

Tim S

Exeter UK
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Like so many other accesories to a small bore rifle and it's sighting systems, you have to try it to see if it works for you. "Bloop tubes" are used by alot of shooters, and by some very successfully. Will they work for you?? It sounds like they did. Go for it.

Having a set of old eyes, I can tell you they really help with sight clarity, now if I could just hold steady enough, with an old set of bones.
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

I recently tried one after years of not thinking they were a good idea and I think it really helps.

I have the same rifle as you and when I saw Anschutz were bringing one out I thought I would try it, its the Anschutz Tenminator I bought (cool name too) and I find it helps clarity in the aim a lot

curious machinist

Post by Guest »

If all that the shooters need is a front sight extension, why the entire tube? Why not just a bar of metal extending from the barrel's front sight base?
Richard H

Re: curious machinist

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:If all that the shooters need is a front sight extension, why the entire tube? Why not just a bar of metal extending from the barrel's front sight base?
Anschutz had such an item in their catalog not sure if they still do called the "Shark" I beleive.
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

You can get sight extension bars, but the tube starts the bullet in air that is not being affected by the wind. The affect of the wind is suppose to be a factor in the beginning of its trajectory. Thus the positive affect of the tube.
There has to be a more knowledgable bloop tube shooter out there that can give this thread some help with this.

Post by Guest »

use a bloop and I really find the increase in performance due to the increased sight radius is significant, esp as I approach the time when long sightedness is sneaking up on me. Indoors, the bloop has made it very easy to get a consistant sight picture with the fore sight in focus. It took a little while to get used to seeing the slightly increased movement in my hold. Of course when it is still, you know you have got a really good hold.

I had no poi change when I added the tube and the rifle groups just the same with or without the tube. However outdoors the rifle now seems to be very "twitchy" with its grouping in the wind. I have to much more careful with my reading of the wind. I have not been able to track down exactly why it is so much more sensitive to the wind but I really have to "on my game" in terms of wind reading. Others that I spoken to do not seem to have these problems. Maybe it is the rifle being buffetted by a breeze, however we shoot from a covered mound which offers lots of protection from the wind.

However the plus side of a bloop is the ease of aiming off, it seems so easy to do these days. I think the longer sight radius makes it much easier to judge how much you need the hold off.

I have wondered how important it is to get the bloop torque setting correct, I have read that it is important. My cap screws are directly into aluminium so it would be impossible to torque much higher than 3Nm without threat of stripping the threads. Would anyone care to comment?
Cheers
Martin H

Post by Guest »

The engineer who made my tube (Barry Nesom for Brits)recommended 3Nm for the bolts. Although Ihaven't noticed much difference if I only use "hand tight" when it's too much to drag out the torquedriver.

Tim S
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

For us older shooters the bloop tube or shark extension places the front apature farther away from the eye. This seems to help me in keeping the front sight in focus ... especially over a long prone match.

I question if this would be of benefit to a younger conmpetitor.

One obvious down side is that it is another set of variables to contend with. Even if you verify that the use of the extension does not degrade performance there are more things that can go wrong. Example : In a recent match (just after I had changed from a bloop tube to a extender) I ran out of windage adjustment in a stiff 9oclock wind.

I use it because I get a better sight picture with it but I have to be prepared and familiar with the setup to offset the added complexity.
joydeepk

Post by joydeepk »

what about the increase in fore sight movement due to the sight extension? my point is to say that when the sight is nearer the slight movements r often overlooked to be a steady one,but the further it goes the movement become slightly visible. then comes the realization to bring the hold more firmer and so comes the accuracy. but a 'hammer shark' is less bulkier than the tube ofcourse. but it really defers for individuals(Rifle balance) so as to addition of weight in the front or clamping the tube to the muzzle resulting a harmonic benefit or for the worse.

Post by Guest »

You can get sight extension bars, but the tube starts the bullet in air that is not being affected by the wind.
Not quite, you are forgetting the turbulent expanding gasses that escape the barrel behind the bullet then swirl past the bullet.

This is why most groups will be bigger with the tube attached.

If the rules allowed baffles and venting it would really improve performance with an artillery type muzzle break.
Roys14

Post by Roys14 »

go for it brian
old marine

Post by old marine »

your coach is an idiot, a bloop tube or any kind of sight extension would really help your score
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

old marine wrote:your coach is an idiot, a bloop tube or any kind of sight extension would really help your score
Why in the world do you think that my coach is an idiot? He was looking out for my best interest. He though that I should hear what other people had to say about them before I spent alot of money to get one put on my gun.
I guess it shows how much class you have for saying someone is an idiot with out knowing them.
Last edited by B.T.Carstensen on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

old marine wrote:your coach is an idiot, a bloop tube or any kind of sight extension would really help your score
Thats just a stupid post IMO. Everyone has their own opiion on these, and each is entitled to it. To call someone elses opinion stupid is just..... well...... stupid!
old marine

Post by old marine »

jeez, hit the brakes, I didnt mean it that intensly. whats this world coming to?