Help with Gehmann front sight iris

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jose Rossy

Help with Gehmann front sight iris

Post by Jose Rossy »

I need to know how to unscrew the bezel that covers the inner threads on the side facing the shooter. These threads are smaller than M18, and take the Gehmann 5018 adapter which then allows standard accessories to be threaded (shade tubes, polarizers, etc.) into the iris.

I know the threads are there because I have another Gehmann iris that I bought used and its past owner had removed the bezel, exposing them. The problem seems to be that this bezel has no notches or other obvious features that would allow a normal tool to get a grip.

Help!
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

First, make sure that your iris has these threads by looking between the two extreme ends of the scale on the iris.

The two ends of the scale will be beside each other.

If there is a small line between these two marks you have the threads. If there is no mark there is no threads

If you have the mark/line put on a rubber glove like a washing up glove and insert carefully into the front of the iris, use a finger or thumb big enough so it just about goes into the hole. That way you don't go in too far and damage the iris.

With this rubber grip you should be able to unscrew the falt front face and expose the threads.

There is no tool to do this.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Thank you very much for the tip. My iris does have the tick mark between the two adjustment range marks so it has the internal threads.

It's pretty obvious now how the rubber would add the necessary friction. The engineer in me says Gehmann should add some notches or something to make removal a bit easier.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Got the bezel off with a rubber garden glove. Really easy. Thanks again.
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

You're welcome

TargetShootingShop.co.uk