Adding target sights

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Adding target sights

Post by Guest »

I am going to add target style sights to my Savage, right now I am looking at the Lyman 90 MJT/Lyman 93Match Glove combo, is this a fairly decent sight? I understand that the globe will mount using a standard dovetail mounting and the rear uses a Williams 540 base?

Are there any others I should look into?

Also I will be using the following stock, do you think thse sights will be high enough for the comb on this stock?

I know its a ton of questions but I am a newbie on a budget and trying to put together and economical target/plinking rifle

Storz

Post by Storz »

^^ that is me - I forgot to log in :)
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Does your stock have a rail? If you'd like to use it in smallbore competition, you will need a handstop and a sling.
Storz

Post by Storz »

Nicole Hamilton wrote:Does your stock have a rail? If you'd like to use it in smallbore competition, you will need a handstop and a sling.
It unforutatly does not have a rail, I am somewhat thinking of leaving the Savage as it is and save up to get one of these

Izhmash CM2
Last edited by Storz on Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

I don't have any experience with that gun, so it may a great gun at a great price. I just don't know. But my own recommendation -- the one I can make from personal experience -- is to take a look at the Anschutz 1903. It's a great entry-level smallbore rifle at a decent price of about $1100, including sights.
Storz

Post by Storz »

I have decided to keep the savage as it is and save up for a dedicated target rifle for 3 position. It will take a while for me to save up enough $$ to make it happen, but until then I'll keep shooting my savage and the s&w 22a
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Nicole, as far as the IZMASH is concerned that gun is a beauty and I wish it was made a bit larger for use as a target rifle. I always admire the Russian target arms as they are relatively cheap, not finished off with all kinds of pretty stocks and parts---however they are quite good. I don't like the trigger on the ones our Juniors use; scratchy, creapy but the kids don't recognize that and they shoot high scores without complaint. The problems start to occur when they go to their first tournaments and see the "Pretty" guns. Oh yeah and then they develop the "need" for fancy pants and jackets, because it "will make them shoot better." We see this phenomena every two years when our Juniors first venture out of the home range for a "Big" match. That's when the parents start complaining about cost, their inital $45 per year has grown to nice big 3 digit bucks. It's fun----and quite necessary if we are to survive the onslaughts.
Storz

Post by Storz »

I wish my parents would buy one for me but at 25 I am kinda past that stage lol

Between rent/car payment etc etc etc it may be a few months before I can swing getting one but it will happen :)
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

Check gunsamerica, gunbroker and right here at pilkguns for a used Anschutz 54. They can be had for as little as $600 for a servicable example. JMHO.
Mike