PELLETS SKIRTS

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BOOKER

PELLETS SKIRTS

Post by BOOKER »

What is the difference/advantages/disadvantages of the slick/smooth and the dented type skirt pellets.

All the "match grade" pellets I have seen are slick/smooth type, what is the reason for these?

Yes I know one of those dummy questions but ....huh why not!

Thanks in advance for any information.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The only pellets I've seen with feathered skirts are the cheap ones. Perhaps the feathering causes more randomness and more chance of a poor seal between pellet and barrel ? With a smooth skirt there should be good, even contact with the barrel/rifling and hence giving more constent results. That's all I can think of.

Rob.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

Thanks for your support.

I found this link very interesting, almost answers my question http://www.beemans.net/airgun_projectiles.htm

I think it can help other people, very interesting information in there.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

BOOKER wrote:Thanks for your support.

I found this link very interesting, almost answers my question http://www.beemans.net/airgun_projectiles.htm

I think it can help other people, very interesting information in there.
It is however an article written by the company themselves so expect a bit of company bias in it.

Rob.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

actually I just read it and did'nt see any bias at all.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

pilkguns wrote:actually I just read it and did'nt see any bias at all.
Each to there own - I read it and it seemed to say how beeman do this to their top pellets etc, without actually saying what they did that their competitors didn't do.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

RobStubbs wrote: It is however an article written by the company themselves so expect a bit of company bias in it.

Rob.
Every review, editorial, news article,... has a bias. I would prefer to have it in the open, as it is in this informative article.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

I'd put it this way: I didn't detect bias, only that the author had a lot more knowledge of his own company's products, which is pretty normal. But as Fred pointed out, his association with Beeman was totally out in the open.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Nicole Hamilton wrote:I'd put it this way: I didn't detect bias, only that the author had a lot more knowledge of his own company's products, which is pretty normal. But as Fred pointed out, his association with Beeman was totally out in the open.
Fair point I was just pointing it out although as you say it is delared upfront.

Rob.
peepsight

Pellet skirts

Post by peepsight »

Hi Booker

Try E Mailing H+N or RWS for their explanation of smmoth or 'ribbed' pellets. At least this way you will get an answer from the horses mouth so to speak and it should be a definitive answer to your question.

Regards

Peepsight