Purpose of the Fall Selection Match

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

shootfast

Purpose of the Fall Selection Match

Post by shootfast »

Can anyone explain to me, what is the purpose of the match being held at Fort Benning in September? I looked on the website, but it's not clear on the purpose. I heard it's just a PTO then i heard it's for the 2007 World Cup Selection. Can someone clear this up. Thanks
RobStubbs

Re: Purpose of the Fall Selection Match

Post by RobStubbs »

shootfast wrote:Can anyone explain to me, what is the purpose of the match being held at Fort Benning in September? I looked on the website, but it's not clear on the purpose. I heard it's just a PTO then i heard it's for the 2007 World Cup Selection. Can someone clear this up. Thanks
Did you contact USA shooting and ask them - what did they say ? If it's a selection match they would know.

Rob.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

Richard, welcome to the world of USAS! From some of your comments at the August PTO, I suspected you were not yet fully versed in all the USAS procedures for team selection, oversea travel and Olympic selection. Everything is posted on the website. But knowing what to look for and why takes a little conversation. You might want to try to contact the pistol coach Sergey Luzov , National Pistol Coach, 719-866-4615 (good luck!!!!!)

Start with this link:

http://www.usashooting.com/modules.php? ... s&secid=30

Let me try to start from the beginning as I understand it. First, you need to attend the proper matches such as the National Championships, Fall and Spring Selection matches and the 3XAP (December 1 to 3, 2006). These are matches run by USAS, or designated by USAS as selection matches. These are matches that allow you to develop a “Performance Standard.” A Performance Standard and national rankings are unrelated.

To be considered on the “Team,” you must perform at the designated USAS matches. Being on the Team does not necessarily mean you travel overseas as a supported athlete. You might have to pay your own way. The Performance Standard determines whether or not you will be supported on overseas travel.

To your question about the September match at Ft. Benning, check this link:

http://www.usashooting.com/modules.php? ... oad&sid=66

The above link clearly states the match will double as a selection match.

BTW, I hope you can make it to the September 3 PTO at Cavalier. I will hold a “Finals” in Free Pistol to give everyone a chance to practice.

Pete
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

Pete,

Looking at the Nationals and Spring results, it doesn't appear that anyone met the performance standards in Free or Air for either average or individual score. Does this mean that everyone selected to go to the next WC has to pay their own way?

Keith
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

I wish I could answer your question in definitive terms, and perhaps somebody who has lived within the process will reply.

I believe there is more than one answer. First, the Performance Standard is based on multiple matches, best 3 of 6 I recall reading. It can be developed based on world cup circuit performance, there is an "A" squad and "B" squad on the national team, and coaches discretion.

USAS does publish all these policies, makes changes and publishes those changes, and I believe is generaly above board. But it is not simple except one key point.

The key point is something I heard at my first Nationals. A few of us were standing around wondering what the finals were all about and how the selections would be based on the finals. Michael Douglas was on his way to the firing line and Stan asked him how it worked.
He replied, "I don't know, I just know I have to shoot tens."