The free arm, and some other details.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Cuervo79

The free arm, and some other details.

Post by Cuervo79 »

Hey, I was wondering. Today I had a tournament (wich didn't go real well, I blame the headacke for my 506) and as allways I put my free (left) arm behind my back. Later another shooter said "its better if you put your arm in your front".

Now what I have read says nothing really about your free arm only that it has to be relaxed and close to your body. I don't have my arm tensed or uncomftrable as I have it now. Is there anything really important about your arm placement?

Now on another subject, footwear. I know that as with your free arm it doesn't really matter what footwear you have as long as it gives good support, and preferably the sole that is completely flat. Now I normally wear sandals and thats all I wear (exept while playing squash, or going to a formal event). I haven't looked at the issf rules about footwear, is it ok to wear sandals or do I have to change to tennis shoes?

Rant: well not really since I was not frustrated with my score (as I said 506) because I had a headacke until I got home and took some tylenol. It was really weird. I had only 2 6's then a couple of 10's and the rest where 9's and allot of 8's. I couln't really concentrate, kept focusing to the target, then to the front sight, then thinking about the headacke, then "am I really concentrating". It was all weird because amist all that chaos I still got most of my shots inside the bullseye, and it felt kind of flawless. Although I wanted to have 10's hehehe. Well I had to get that of my chest...

Keep on shooting

Javier
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You won't find many top shooters shooting with their free arm behind their back.

As I understand it, the problem is that it "opens up" the whole torso reducing support for the shooting arm and giving a less stable platform.

I have always used a "thumb in belt buckle". It has always worked for me but I fully accept that others will find different positions more comfortable and stable.

With regard to footwear, your sandals sound OK according to the rules:-

8.4.7.4 Low-sided shoes should be worn. Any high-sided type shoes (such as Rifle, Basketball, or Ski boots, etc.) which cover the ankle bone, or could give support, are not permitted. Shoes will be checked at Equipment Control. Clothing will be checked on the firing line.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm with David on the free arm. I too adopt a thumb in belt position, as I advised this was better than hand in pocket which I used to use. The arm behind the back used to be popular 'in the olden days' but I don't remember ever seeing a top class shooter with their arm behind them.

Rob.
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

thanx for your replies... I allways take the "top shooters don't do it" the same as what pistol to buy.
to be honest I started with my arm and hand in front but it was not as comftrable as now.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Cuervo:

Some range officials claim that "open toed shoes" and/or sandals are a safety hazard.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Knowing what little I know about human physiology, the hand behind the back stance is potentially problematic for vascular circulation and musculoskelatal tension . . . not sure how that could be as "comfortable" for most folks as you find it.

Since intense, focused concentration is critical for shooting well, having a headache that prevents you from concentrating (or focusing on the front sight, as you relate!) would seem to be a bit of a problem!!!

Chalk one up to the importance of good overall health anad fitness . . .

Steve Swartz
Fred

Re: The free arm, and some other details.

Post by Fred »

Cuervo79 wrote:It was all weird because amist all that chaos I still got most of my shots inside the bullseye, and it felt kind of flawless. Although I wanted to have 10's.Javier

Javier,

Congratulate yourself for a good match! You hung in there despite the headache, and shot consistently as well as you were able to, under the circumstances. You can't ask for any more. And you learned that you can shoot at an acceptable level (for you), under adverse conditions. That's a confidence builder.

Best wishes,
FredB
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

exactly, even though it was a low score (I expected 520 or more) I was glad I did ok even with the headacke losing concentration.

still hehe I would of been cooler if the 8's where 9's hehehehehe

Regarding Steve's reply, I am really not sure why its comftrable, I was thinking that most of the time if I walk or see things my hands are behind my back (this I do since I was little) and the left arm is more acostumed to it since if I do the same thing (putting just my right arm behind my back, it doesn't feel as comftrable).
One thing I have noticed, is that some .22 pistol shooters at the range DO use the free arm in the back. but not all.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Steve mentions, the hand in front is ergonically better from a human physiology / stability perspective. That however will not be the case for 100% of shooters - heck we are all different shapes and sizes. If you find it more comfortable then shoot with your free arm behind you, but I would advise you give it a try in front for few weeks or more and see if that really is less comfortable.

Oh and if you spot top shooters all doing something the same, that's generally because it works.

Rob.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

I have tried several "free" hand positions over the years. I tried the "hand on the belly", even used a belt a la Dumoulin (Fr.)----but always returned to the hand in my left side pocket as the most comfortable and stable for me personally. Only thing I have to do is get rid of all the crap that's in the left pocket--like money clip, loose change etc.---these become a distraction. If you shot a 500+ with a headache---I marvel at your concentration. Because of heart medications, headaches are extremely rare----i.e. until I look in the spotting scope---then Oy----such an ache!!!!
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

Right now I am deciding on to looking at the "free hand placement" later, I still feel that my trigger control and sight focus is still very off. Specially when I am shooting at the targets, my wobblezone is all over the place....
jackh

Post by jackh »

My free hand for decades now is ingrained in me to be in my pocket. However lately I have found comfort in placing my hand at the small of my back, palm out, either resting on the ledge of my belted trousers or fingers tucked under said belt.

Thumb hooked in front has not worked for me as it seems awkward.

When I don't think about it my hand ends up in my pocket naturally. On a hot humid day the pocket placement seems sticky if wearing jeans with a tighter pocket.
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

You hit the nail in the "accostumed" thing... My hand now goes automatically to my back.

hehehe as I said I think trigger control and sight alignment are more important right now...