Hammerli SP20 failure to cock

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Earlyriser

Hammerli SP20 failure to cock

Post by Earlyriser »

Near end of approx 400 rnd bench test of 8 brands of premium 22 cal ammo, gun began misfiring due to hammer not cocking. After thorough cleaning and lube, gun continued to misfire about once in 20 rnds using my regular proven ammo. I suspected buffer adjustment was cause but hammer cocks when bolt is about 75% retracted. Anyone have any suggestions?
RickP

Hammerli SP20RRS

Post by RickP »

EarlyRiser,

I have a recent issue Hammerli SP20RRS. After shooting about 50 rds I could not get it to fire. Seemed that the hammer and/or trigger was locked and would not fire. I was flippin'. I thought the gun was broken. Was about to send it back for repair when, out of curiosity, I took the pistol apart and inspected the safety. After disconnecting the safety system and removing it, the gun fired flawlessly. I re-installed the safety mechanism and regularly inspect it when cleaning. As the safety was never engaged, I can only guess that it jared loose and wedged itself between the trigger and sear. Anyway, try it and see. Hope this helps.

RickP
Nev Cross

SP20 safety

Post by Nev Cross »

It seems strange that here in Australia, the gun laws, especially handgun laws, are very restrictive but target pistols are not required to have a safety yet in the US where gun laws are much less restrictive, safeties are required, odd.
I have had an SP20 for 8 years (no safety) and have never had this problem, it may well be the safety malfunctioning.

Nev Cross
Australia