Shooting rapid fire, the 2 hand grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
AJ008

Shooting rapid fire, the 2 hand grip

Post by AJ008 »

How do you shoot rapid fire with two hands and not having the off hand past the wrist?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What kind of raid fire are you shooting with 2 hands?
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Hi AJ008,

I gather from your recent posts that you are pretty new to this game. This forum concentrates on ISSF-style pistol shooting. There are broadly speaking five pistol events recognised by the ISSF (The International Shooting Sport Federation - an international organisation based in Germany which sets the rules and regulations). These are: Rapid Fire, Free Pistol, Air Pistol, Standard Pistol, and Centrefire / Sport pistol. Some (but not all) of these are also events at the Olympic Games.
All ISSF pistol events are shot with the pistol held in one hand only. Any attempt to hold the pistol in two hands when firing would normally result in disqualification.
AJ008

Post by AJ008 »

Yeah I'm a rookie, I won't lie to ya!
Its rapid fire with an air pistol at 10 meters, that's all it says in the packet for this shoot. I'm going to regular for 10 M air pistol but for some dumb reason we are required to shoot a rapid fire and a silhouette event. So I have about a month to learn how to shoot these two events along side my regular 10 M air pistol training.

Post by Guest »

AJ008,

Unless you own or can borrow a 5 shot repeating air pistol, they is no way you can compete in a rapid fire air pistol event with a single shot air pistol. But good luck with the silhouette event. It is fun knocking over the little metal animals.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

AJ008 wrote:Its rapid fire with an air pistol at 10 meters, that's all it says in the packet for this shoot.
It sounds very much like this will be a single handed shoot.

Probably the most important thing to do when entering a shoot is to find out what the rules are. It can save you from wasting huge amounts of time, energy and money.

That is the beauty of ISSF shooting. Although there may be small local changes to facilitate the smooth running of a match, you can go anywhere in the world and be pretty sure what you are going to get.
AJ008

Post by AJ008 »

Nope 2 hand event
RobStubbs

Re: Shooting rapid fire, the 2 hand grip

Post by RobStubbs »

AJ008 wrote:How do you shoot rapid fire with two hands and not having the off hand past the wrist?
The only 2 handed shooting I'm involved in is for youngsters under 10 or 12 years of age. They hold the gun two handed like you see in some cowboy type events or use the left hand to support the underside of the grip. Like others mention it would be helpful if you had the full course of fire and rules; targets, timings etc...

Rob.

Post by Guest »

when did these things change from being called "matches" to being called "shoots" anyway?? WTF???
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

AJ008 wrote:How do you shoot rapid fire with two hands and not having the off hand past the wrist?
AJ - if you go to Brian Enos' web site http://www.brianenos.com/ you will find pictures of what a good solid two handed hold looks like. Enos is holding an autoloading pistol for IPSC style shooting, but the same principles apply to a two handed revolver grip (assuming you are going to shoot the S&W your coach bought for you). BTW, these principles are the same as for one handed shooting - the forces applied by your hands must be neutral ie do not torque the gun; and the action of the trigger must be straight back and not cause any change in sight alignment. A two hand grip is a must if you are going to accurately shoot a revolver double action for rapid fire. BTW, how rapid is the rapid fire? 10 sec, 20 sec?

re the silhouette match - you had best find out the target distance and the target size so you can determine how much you will need to change your sight settings from the standard 10m AP match and target. Will sighters be allowed?
AJ008

Post by AJ008 »

Fred Mannis wrote:
AJ - if you go to Brian Enos' web site http://www.brianenos.com/ you will find pictures of what a good solid two handed hold looks like. Enos is holding an autoloading pistol for IPSC style shooting, but the same principles apply to a two handed revolver grip (assuming you are going to shoot the S&W your coach bought for you). BTW, these principles are the same as for one handed shooting - the forces applied by your hands must be neutral ie do not torque the gun; and the action of the trigger must be straight back and not cause any change in sight alignment. A two hand grip is a must if you are going to accurately shoot a revolver double action for rapid fire. BTW, how rapid is the rapid fire? 10 sec, 20 sec?

re the silhouette match - you had best find out the target distance and the target size so you can determine how much you will need to change your sight settings from the standard 10m AP match and target. Will sighters be allowed?
TY for the help! I think its 10. I have a place to practice for the silhouette. The distances are 10 12.5 15 and 18. I'm going to use the plasma cam and cut out some silhouettes to practice on. How big is one 10th scale because thats how big they are?

Guest- Don't think we need that attitude here. The term "shoot" is an archery term and when you've shot archery for about 7 years it sticks, not that there is a big difference between the two terms unless your analredundant;-)
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

AJ008 wrote:
TY for the help! I think its 10. I have a place to practice for the silhouette. The distances are 10 12.5 15 and 18. I'm going to use the plasma cam and cut out some silhouettes to practice on. How big is one 10th scale because thats how big they are?
If the match is being run under NRA rules go to https://www.nrahq.org/compete/dept-silh.asp and you will find a file with drawings and dimensions of the air pistol silhouettes

Practice hard and good luck

Fred
cdf

Post by cdf »

AJ008 , sounds like you are shooting progressive pistol . Is this in conjunction with 4H clubs ? You might find more info on their site .

Best of luck to ya !

Chris

emtomology from the old coach

Post by Guest »

[quote="AJ008
Guest- Don't think we need that attitude here. The term "shoot" is an archery term and when you've shot archery for about 7 years it sticks, not that there is a big difference between the two terms unless your analredundant;-)[/quote]

Sorry, it is not an attitude, it is an observation. A few decades ago, one would never hear of a "rifle shoot" or "pistol shoot" - they were always refered to as matches. Now even the NRA (in the American Rifleman) lists what are probably matches as "shoots".
Thus the question - why are these being termed "Shoots" now instead of the accustomed word "Matches", as in "The National Matches at Camp Perry"?? Is it from local dialect? Your explaination that it comes from archery is indeed interesting, but are there really so many archers now in the shooting sports that their termonology is really crossing over?

And while I'm on the subject - when did "firing points" become "lanes" ?!?