Dry firing smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

wbthomas

Dry firing smallbore

Post by wbthomas »

I've always dry fired smallbore with brass in the chamber to prevent damage to the firing pin. Can the firing pin strike the empty cartridge more than once in the same location without any damage, or should I always eject the shell or twist it between shots?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I tend to eject them after a couple of "shots" as like you said they get pretty battered. If they get too battered, twisting them might not be a bad idea.

Here is a similar thread on a different board. I hope it helps.

http://www.smallbore.us/forum/viewthrea ... 7#post_172

Jim
Tony C.

Dry firing

Post by Tony C. »

Its always a good idea to dry fire with a spend brass in the chamber, in a well made target rifle, the tip of firing pin should not come in contact with the chamber wall at the most forward position, there should be a small gap where the fired brass was compressed.

However, sometimes due to wear and tear or variation in the manufacturing process, the firing pin could come in contact with the chamber wall, if that happen, you will see a mark on the chamber wall, where the firing pin hit.

IMHO, its OK to to dry fire with the same brass without turning it, but if you want to be on the safe side, eject and load a new brass every time, so you can practice the whole firing cycle.