Crutch??

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

aurorapolice02_11

Crutch??

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

I can see Noptel and like systems becoming a crutch for newer shooters. Instead of watching the process and paying attention, a shooter may just shoot downrange and wait for feedback from the device to tell him what he is doing wrong. Seems like it would be a hinderance as opposed to an aid.

With all that said, I have used a Rika in the past. In the three years I lived at the Training Center, I can count on one hand the number of times I used the Rika. And at that, the only purpose of using the Rika was to show me how small of a hold I had despite what my eyes were telling me.

These systems reall aren't a replacement for a coach either. Assuming that might be one reason why they are purchased. They only analyze data, they really don't coach you to becoming a better shooter. All shooters should know what they are doing correctly and incorrectly. The difference is the newer shooter needs to put in range time to make the desired techniques become habit.

My $.02

Mike Douglass