USF To Discontinue Men's and Women's NCAA Rifle Team

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USF To Discontinue Men's and Women's NCAA Rifle Team

Post by Guest »

USF To Discontinue Men's and Women's Intercollegiate Rifle Programs

Lack of Competition, Facilities Main Factors in Decision

Feb. 16, 2006

The University of San Francisco has decided to discontinue its intercollegiate men's and women's rifle programs effective May 31st, 2006, Director of Athletics Bill Hogan announced today (Feb. 16).

"We have had a fine tradition at USF in intercollegiate rifle," Hogan stated, "but the lack of NCAA competition available nearby, the lack of an on campus range and the numbers of student-athletes we attracted were all factors in making this difficult decision."

No other West Coast Conference or Pac-10 schools sponsor rifle, and there are only six opponents available to shoot west of the Mississippi River. There are just 33 member institutions sponsoring rifle nationally. Last year, Xavier, the only other Jesuit institution that sponsored rifle, dropped the sport.

"All of the student-athletes receiving athletic scholarships will keep their scholarships through the year in which they would have completed their eligibility," Hogan added.

"I would also like to thank head coach Dave Lee, who guided this program for many years with a great deal of class. It was really difficult for him and his team to continue to compete without a facility, but he was always positive throughout. And to the people that supported rifle, we appreciate all that you did to support these student-athletes.

"Finally to the rifle team members themselves, who were always some of our most loyal and enthusiastic student-athletes, we wish them the best."

http://usfdons.collegesports.com/sports ... 06aab.html
topshot

Post by topshot »

There are actually 37 schools left.
seemehaha

Re: USF To Discontinue Men's and Women's NCAA Rifle Team

Post by seemehaha »

Anonymous wrote:No other West Coast Conference or Pac-10 schools sponsor rifle, and there are only six opponents available to shoot west of the Mississippi River.
actually this isn't entirely true. oregon state (pac-10) has a rifle club, their coach just doesn't schedule them to compete.
topshot

Post by topshot »

He was referring to NCAA schools, which would be TCU, UT-EP, Nebraska, Air Force, UM-KC, Nevada and Alaska. So there really are 7.
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

my bad. i think of the term "sponsor rifle" i think of any team in general. the west coast is lacking in programs. being from the west coast myself (oregon) i knew that i would be moving east to go to school. it's really too bad and would benefit the sport if there were more programs nationally.
topshot

Post by topshot »

No argument there!