Choosing freepistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jer

Choosing freepistol

Post by jer »

I am choosing freepistol and choices have narrowed to new MG-5 or use d TOZ-35 with new grips. Pardini and Morini are way too expensive. Please tell comments about MG-5.
Matvei

Post by Matvei »

You should consider seriously TOZ-35 without any excuses if you are a newbie at FP. It is very forgiving and robust gun. The MG-5 is actually a further development of Hämmerli FP-10 (SAM 50 nowadays). Only extra balancing rods when compared with previous one.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

I am not known for my love of the FP-10 and/or (Morini, Match Guns) (Swiss or Italian) , I never owned one but, had the use of one for a period of three months. Now this was an early model listed by Hammerli as the FP-10---though it was NOT built by Hammerli. I personally found the trigger group malfunctioned as often as the wind changes. My three months history found that this gun was no where close to what I would have considered a good or even a mediocre Free Pistol. Now it's known as the ("Morini?????" or) "Matchguns"???? MG-5. Supposedly the faulty trigger group has been replaced (fixed????) and the "feelers" have been "updated". Quite frankly I think your best bet is the TOZ---it isn't as pretty--but that's some gun. I started with a TOZ, switched to a Hammerli 160 Special and I am now on my second TOZ---should have never left my little Ninotchka, but Svetlana is a beautiful woman---very forgiving. Don't let the fact that the TOZ although $~300 cheaper than the others ---it is some gun, and shot by the whole world it seems. Designed to be used for installing fence posts and barbed wire during the week and used for a FP match on the weekends.
Flyboy Shooter

Free Pistols

Post by Flyboy Shooter »

I can't speak for all FP-10 owners, but in my case I love it! I have one of the last ones produced, so the trigger group is fixed as is the front sight. I know the past history of the FP-10's front sights and trigger group but mine has never been an issue. That said, as an entry level free pistol, the TOZ is probably the way to go. It's tried, tested and true over many years. I don't know much anything about the MG-5, I didn't actually think they had even hit the market and you probably don't want to be a test subject for Matchguns. Don't count out the FP-10/MG-5, it probably has potential, but yet to be proven.

Jesse
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Flyboy - just as an fyi the pistol you have doesn't have the multi-bearing trigger group that Hammerli insists never existed (even though I've had two of them in my hands). Hammerli/SAM never admitted to there being a problem with the triggers. And although they never admitted to their being a problem they produced at least three distinctly different trigger groups for them. Yours is the latest version, and I hope upon hope that it continues to work well for you. Have you set it up as a single or two stage trigger? I have to think that the earliest version of trigger really got into trouble when set up as a 2-stage. It appeared to me that there was more leeway when it was set up as a single stage. But I'm likely out to lunch on that thought...

Also - is that Large grip working OK for you? You'll have to get up to our range for the next Free Pistol night on March 15th. Would love to see how that FP-10 performs in your hands.
Flyboy Shooter

FP-10

Post by Flyboy Shooter »

Interesting, I didn't know that Hammerli didn't acknowledge the problem. The trigger is set as a two stage right now, I haven't changed the settings yet or I might not. It's working just fine for me so far! Unfortunatly I'll be in Ft. Benning on the 15th, it's too bad I could get the paperwork, I'd much rather shoot that one then a loner down there! I actually have a medium grip that was kicking around from the college FP-10's. It needs some work but it did the job at the range today! I'll be down on of these Wednesdays for some FP soon though!

Jesse