velocity

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jjjjjjjjjj

velocity

Post by jjjjjjjjjj »

how does the AP control the pellet velocity when the pressure is at 200 and when it drops to 100, what are the mechanics involved? also how much does the velocity vary between these two intervals?

thanks
Frank F

Post by Frank F »

J,
I think the actual pressure that the pellet is pushed out at is about 60 Bar (900 psi), so the higher pressure initially in the cylinder is regulated down to this all the way till the cylinder pressure is the same.
Then the pellet starts to slow down.
Richard H

Re: velocity

Post by Richard H »

jjjjjjjjjj wrote:how does the AP control the pellet velocity when the pressure is at 200 and when it drops to 100, what are the mechanics involved? also how much does the velocity vary between these two intervals?

thanks
It's controled with a regulator which takes high pressure air and drops it down to a lower pressure. If not each shot would prgressively get slower and slower.
CraigE

Therein lies the similarity with CO2

Post by CraigE »

When CO2 (liquid as it fills cylinder) goes to gas, the pressure is approximately 800 psi. This is the "constant" pressure in a pistol powered by CO2 so long as there is some liquid in the cylinder. It is nearly the same as the "regulated" pressure of a CA pistol. All the other factors are matters of convenience and preference.
Richard H

Re: Therein lies the similarity with CO2

Post by Richard H »

CraigE wrote:When CO2 (liquid as it fills cylinder) goes to gas, the pressure is approximately 800 psi. This is the "constant" pressure in a pistol powered by CO2 so long as there is some liquid in the cylinder. It is nearly the same as the "regulated" pressure of a CA pistol. All the other factors are matters of convenience and preference.
I beleive he is asking about precompressed not CO2 as he asked about 100 and 200 (i take it he is talking about bar).
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Richard,

I think Craig was drawing a comparison between the methods of regulation available in airguns. Co2 is self-regulating, with its vapour pressure being the pressure at which it transforms from a liquid to a gas, being used as its natural, built-in form of regulation. Compressed air, on the other hand, has to be regulated from the 200 bar in the cylinder to the 60-80 bar range for use in propelling the pellet. The regulators which are employed in most airguns are multi-disk impulse regulators. I'm no expert in playing with compressed air so I won't even attempt an explanation of how they work. I just know they do, and that they're mechanical contraptions that can and will fail. But the Steyr regulator isn't all that expensive ($165US if memory serves me well) so having a spare one on hand isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Competition airguns are funny things. They cost so little to shoot, and are incredibly reliable (generally). After a while one almost takes them for granted, and that's normally when something will go badly wrong. That's why my shooting bag has a spares kit in it with o-rings and springs and things. I'll likely never need them, but when I do, I'll need them desparately! ;-)