What's an awesome air pistol? Are they the same?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
AJOO8

What's an awesome air pistol? Are they the same?

Post by AJOO8 »

I've asked in the past about this and it seems post people say they are all equal. Is that true? Seems like its not even like the whole Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. Or is it?
Are there any modern guns that are not made well or are they all guns that went the '04 Olympics and other big matches? Is it all in the shooters ability and preference?
Or is it because they aren't made in China (no offence) and that they are all of the highest quality?

Are they're some that have really bad recoil or more than others?

Y'all are going to say go out in try one of each but know one in the state sells precision guns, sadly.
Is there a way to just buy one off the net with out knowing if you'll like it or not? Do you have to just pick out what looks cool?

Got my eye on Mornini's and the Steyr's what else is good?

Is there a site with AP reviews even?
Bill177

Lots of airgun information

Post by Bill177 »

Try looking at www.airguninfo.com - there is lost of info there.
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I don't pretend to be an expert, but here's the short form.....

All the top makers build guns that will shoot a clean 600 points. Morini, Steyr, Hammerli, Feinwerkbau, Pardini, SAM, Walther - they all make guns that COULD win.

The differences are in the grip, the trigger, quality control, and support. The electronic trigger on the Morini seems to be the best extant if you like a glass-rod trigger. The Steyr has the most adjustments in the grip. Both are well supported. If nothing else, our host has a gilt-edged reputation.

And to be honest, a lot of it also is inertia. Morini is the original SCUBA gun, and had the business advantage of being first. Steyr had a first-rate CO2 gun in the original LP1, and was quick to convert it to compressed air in the LP1P. By the time that everybody else had their air pistols on the market, Steyr and Morini had snagged a lot of the market. Sales turn into victories, and victories turn into MORE sales.

My advice is to figure out what you like most in a gun. If you are really hard-over for a glass-rod trigger, get the Morini. If you can handle a rolling release, the Steyr might be a better choice. If weight is a real issue - and it can be - the Steyr is the textbook answer, but the Hammerli AP40 is lighter still.

Hope this helps.
AJOO8

Post by AJOO8 »

Weight isn't an issue for someone that weighs 215 and has "XXL" on their shirt tag unless its the extra body weight :-P

So really its Swiss VR German made... Well Germany they started a couple world wars that killed some of my family and the Swiss has better gun laws than America and Swiss watches and knives....

Can the Mornini trigger be adjusted left and right? How about the Steyr? I had big hands but shot fingers and the way I have my Walther CP2 set up it with the trigger swung out a little to the right. Thought I read on that site that Bill posted about one gun that the trigger didn't swing right or left...
Which one has better recoil control? Man I hate how with the Walther CP2 jumps!!! But then again its old school.
As far as trigger just something crisp and smooth.

What can't the Morini grip do? I read that the Electricle one is very limited but is there anything else?
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

There isn't much grip adjustment on the Morini 162 E1 due to the fact the electronic are house inside the grip, the palm shelf can go up and down and the trigger can slide back and fore but can't swing left and right If you had big hand and short fingers you can order a large grip and slide the trigger blade as far back as it can go, you can also order a extra long trigger blade if the above didn't work out.

BTW, Steyr is made in Austria, not Germany, yes they speak German. The LP10 is a fine AP, there are more adjustment in the grip, it also comes with a set of weight and the sighting system is better, it has the stabalizer to cut down virbration during the shot release. though some shooters say it a gimmick. Trigger may not be as good as M162 E1 but its a matter of personal taste. LP10 employ direct loading, that is you load each pellet into the chamber and can be check by sight if the AP is loaded or not, less chance of double load, very bad during a match.

M162E1 uses a probe to load, drop a pellet onto the loading port, close the lever and the probe will push the pellet into the chamber, more consistant seating of pellet which help accuracy, the down side is you can only tell if the AP is loaded or not by shooting it or push a cleaning rod down the barrel.

I've been shooting a M162E1 for a couple of years now, I choose it because of its superb trigger and I like the idea of seating a pellet to the same depth every time.

Both AP are good choice, I tried both before I went with the Morini but I think I'll be happy with either one, somewhere else on this board, folks can't make up thier mind what to buy, ending up buying both, that could be an option if you can swing it, get both, try them out, may be sell one later, you won't loose much money and you'll having a blast.
AJOO8

Post by AJOO8 »

Sorry I didn't have my facts right on Steyr.

Why can't America make precision air guns?

Yeah the Morini sounds like the way to go!
There any where on the net that sells used guns besides on this MB?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

AJOO8 wrote:Sorry I didn't have my facts right on Steyr.

The morini may be the way to go but for you personally the steyr or other might be much better. You really need to try before you buy even if it means travelling a 100 miles to see them. It is so much about personal preference and feel that I fear you can make a big mistake by not at least holding the guns. You may for example feel the morini is too long and unbalanced but it's too late when you've already paid for it.

Rob.
cdf

Post by cdf »

As A relative newbie who owns both , all I can say is that you wont go wrong with either . The Morini is great fun to shoot , (kinda like a fine sports car - handling wise ) . I tend to get better results with the Styer .

Bottom line : I feel very privaledged to have been able to have owned two great , functional works of art .

Chris
Zilla

Post by Zilla »

I have only ever shot the IZH-46m. But I am very happy with it. IT shoots great and will put up good numbers. The grip needs serious adjustment though but with a little time a dremel tool and some snadpaper you can make the grip fit your hand real nice. They cost $270-300 vs over a thousand for the others. For me its a great way to get into air pistol and affordable compared to spending the big bucks. Just my 2 cents

Ross
AJOO8

Post by AJOO8 »

RobStubbs wrote:
AJOO8 wrote:Sorry I didn't have my facts right on Steyr.

The morini may be the way to go but for you personally the steyr or other might be much better. You really need to try before you buy even if it means travelling a 100 miles to see them. It is so much about personal preference and feel that I fear you can make a big mistake by not at least holding the guns. You may for example feel the morini is too long and unbalanced but it's too late when you've already paid for it.

Rob.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about a little. I wish it was only a 100 miles, more like a thousand or more!
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

AJ,
You might try attending a local AP match and getting a look at some of these pistols. Most shooters will be willing to allow you to handle their gun and perhaps even shoot it.

There is an AP sectional in March in Billings:

MONTANA, Billings: Mar. 11-12, R; L. Muller, 1120 17th St., W., Billings, MT 59102; (406) 252-5006; lewm@yrc.org

Don't get into 'paralysis by analysis'. If you can't get to handle one before buying, just buy a Steyr or a Morini. Either will carry you at least to expert (or beyond), will maintain its resale value, and has solid dealer support. If the cost of a new gun is too much, quite a few used guns show up both in the TT For Sale section as well as by Pilkington. If you go the used gun route, I suggest you talk to either Scott or Warren at Pilkguns and let them know what you want. They often come across guns that never make it to their Used Gun section.

BTW, American firms won't (not can't) make top of the line air pistols because most of the market is outside of the U.S.

Good luck,

Fred
AJOO8

Post by AJOO8 »

What about the Anschutz? Got a catalog in the mail today and noticed the good looking models in there but are they all ladies and no accuracy?

Yep planning on going to that. Was at one last weekend there but there was only a girl with the new Anschutz and the other kid had a pump gun, the rest were the precision air rifle people with their bags full of shooting clothes and boots, man they take up most of the range with that stuff!!!

Yeah Pilkguns have done a lot of work on my coach's Walther CP2 with cylinders and they had to over haul it last spring! They are great gun smiths!
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

AJOO8 wrote: Can the Mornini trigger be adjusted left and right? How about the Steyr? I had big hands but shot fingers and the way I have my Walther CP2 set up it with the trigger swung out a little to the right.
Which one has better recoil control? Man I hate how with the Walther CP2 jumps!!! But then again its old school.
I have the same problem with short fingers and swinging my Steyr trigger a little to the right does help.

As far as recoil control is concerned - this was discussed here a few weeks ago. An AP really does not recoil. We're talking about a 8 gr pellet moving at 500 f/s, compared to a 40gr 22 bullet at 800 f/s. Eight times less recoil. I agree with Mike Douglas' comment that the only movement is that caused by the shooter. When I shoot a 10, the front sight does not move.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

What about the Anschutz? Got a catalog in the mail today and noticed the good looking models in there but are they all ladies and no accuracy?
I've no direct experience with the Anschutz, but have heard good things about it. Apparently the gun is a collaboration between Steyr and Anschutz. I like the looks of the weight system. Much easier to adjust than the Steyr.
Accuracy is not an issue with any of these guns.
Neil Foster

Anschutz

Post by Neil Foster »

The Anschutz is a very nice gun. It is basically a Steyr LP-10 action (receiver) and grip with an Anschutz bbl minus the Steyr bbl shroud. The clyinders are marked Steyr. Anschutz owns a chunk of Steyr Sport-Waffen.
Neil
AJOO8

Post by AJOO8 »

Yeah they look purdy!
AJOO8

Post by AJOO8 »

Don't the Anschutz have a Morini grip too? If so I might look into those too.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

AJOO8 wrote:Don't the Anschutz have a Morini grip too?
Seems likely. I have the Steyr version, the LP10P, and it definitely is a Morini grip, complete with the CM logo. I just looked at mine to be sure I wasn't mistaken in my recollection.
slavochk

Post by slavochk »

Anschutz air pistol LP@ is manufactured by Steyr. It's the same pistol as the LP10, with slightly changes, the grip for example. Both have Morini's grip but not the same grip. I believe the different is for commercial reasons only...

Basically it's the same pistol as my Steyr LP1. Word record was achieved with this pistol in 1989 (593/600), so it's all about the shooter. Find the pistol which anatomically fits you the best, and consider parts and service.

Talking about the grips, Morini are fine, but Rink's are top of the art. I've made it especially into Rink's workshop, because I have a small hand with long fingers, and I wished to have a perfect grip. With the original grip I shot 566, after changing to Rink's grip, I've made 572.

If you have a big hand but short fingers, you must consider changing the original grip, whatever pistol you choose.

G.
JB

Post by JB »

slavochk wrote: Basically it's the same pistol as my Steyr LP1.
The LP@ is nowhere near the same as an LP1.
Different rear sight
Different trigger
Different action
Different recoil management

What its basically the same as (from the front af the action backwards) is the LP10