Succesful 22LR RF pistols?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jer

Succesful 22LR RF pistols?

Post by jer »

What pistols has been most succesful in RF matches after use of 22LR in RF started?
jigmeb

Best RF pistols

Post by jigmeb »

Hi:
I am no expert but I have a pardini SP NEW RF version and its great also most people are turning into the PARDINI direction.

Happy shooting,

jigmeb.

Post by Guest »

at half the price the izh 35m has worked very well for me
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

The last match I attended was interesting in that a good variety of guns was to be found on the line. Mine was the only MG-2; it received lots of attention from both the officials and other shooters. In the finals there were three Pardinis, two GSP Experts and (drumroll, please!) one Smith and Wesson Model 41!
jackh

Post by jackh »

Is there a 6" maximum barrel length for RF pistols?

For my beginning RF quests, I have available,
208s
High Standard 106 and 107 Victors and Trophys
S&W 41
Ruger Mk II Target
K22 - that ought to be fun in 4 sec series - just kidding

The HS include a 4.5" Lombardi barrel for a Victor
or a weightier Bo Mar rib for a 5.5" Victor

The 41 5.5" barrel keyholes some ammos, but for beginner me, that may not matter much :)

For unofficial club level, I'll ignore some rules. Remember part of this is to invite brand new shooters.

But on the serious side, how would one rate the RF pistols above?

BTW, I can put a decent roll trigger into the HS
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jackh wrote:Is there a 6" maximum barrel length for RF pistols?
Yes, as near as makes no difference. 153mm barrel length with a 220mm sight radius according to rule 8.16.0.

Of course no compensators, muzzle brakes, perforated barrels, etc are allowed.
PASA008

Options

Post by PASA008 »

You list you have available a High Stahdard Victor and a Lombardi barrel. If the grips fit use it. I have a HS Victor wearing a Lombardi 5" barrel, and Vitarbo grips that shoots into 1/2 " at 50 meters. (Wish I could hold it as steady). The overall decision is what fits you and what do you shoot well. Go to several match's and you will see lots of different guns, but not all will fit you. Good fit and practice count. Many will shoot as good as others, also, what you develope a confidence in will serv you well also.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

JackH
Many years ago I used an American Bicentenary model bull-bar Ruger Mk 2 on rapidfire and had some success. The recoil used to move me across to the next target exactly at 10 ring level (actually they were oval shaped then on a human silloutte target). Even at four seconds, it worked well as long as you got the first shot away early.

Having said all of the above, I would not be using one today as there are much better options available. I presume you are buying secondhand and don't want to spend a lot.

Try a secondhand Unique DES69U or an IZH-35, both of which should not set you back much more than the type of firearms you mention.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Colin
The list is what I have already. (I'm a bullseye shooter for the last 35 years.) I train some with a 480k air pistol. Someday I intend to obtain a proper FP as well. The future may or may not hold a dedicated RF pistol for me. Until International picks up regionally in Oregon, there is no point in getting too gung ho. I should have included the Marvel conversion pistol on my list. Right now, the High Standards are the most likely to be used. McMillan won RF Gold with one some years ago. Also I have extra rear sight blades to cut different notch widths for the HS. Were not the recent RF rule changes made just for encouraging shooters like me?
Last edited by jackh on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Martindale

Post by Bruce Martindale »

So what are the big dogs using? That is the place to start.

Cody Maxwell was shooting a Hammerli 280 for sport pistol or whatever the Junior event was a couple years ago. I watched him at Atlanta ansn he did very well with it. I think John Bikar had a Walther GSP but not 100% sure there.

Who are the current RF team members?

Rapid fire

Post by Guest »

the 153mm is a misprint, per Buddy

AJ
sparky

Re: Succesful 22LR RF pistols?

Post by sparky »

jer wrote:What pistols has been most succesful in RF matches after use of 22LR in RF started?
I would guess in the history of Rapid Fire, probably the High Standards.

Of course, they're horribly outdated now.
metermatch

RF Pistols

Post by metermatch »

Cody Maxwell grumbles about his Hammerli 280. As of last October, I believe he had a Pardini SP1 Rapid Fire electronic trigger on order. At least Sergei at the OTC said they had 2 on order from Larry's Guns. That is the gun Emil Milev was shooting. His average score was mid 580's. I think he had shot the world record of 591 with it.

I bought one, and I love it. I like it better than my Walther GSP's and IZH 35m's. I am considering getting the 32 cal version for CF. My 32 GSP feels top-heavy compared to the Pardini SP1.

The electronic trigger is flawless. Makes dry fire easy, particularily rapid fire dry fire. Probably have 3000 clicks of the trigger with the batteries it came with. (AAA batteries). Also, I bought a Rink grip for mine. Very nice.

By the way, a gripe: What is up with the "Larrys Guns Grey, Maine USA" stenciled on the side of my nice new $2000 gun? I certainly didn't ask for it. It pisses me off like the car dealers who thoughtfully glue on one of their badges on the rear of your new car. I didn't notice it until after I paid for it, paid for shipping, paid for the California transfer B.S. (another $75), waited 10 days, and then got it home to actually look at it.

End gripe.

Jeff
Richard Newman

RF pistols

Post by Richard Newman »

I have been shooting S&W 41s since 1958, and they are fairly good at RF. I have finished many NRA rapid fire strings with time to spare and good scores. It is certainly accurate enough. My ISSF RF experience is much more limited, but I haven't tried the 41, as shorts were the way to go. However, the new rules will make the ISSF RF more accessible to many of us. S&W made (makes?) a bull barrel for the 41 which should meet ISSF rules. A number of custom gunsmiths have done the same. There may be better RF guns made, but I expect that a 41 will take you far up the competition ladder. And you can get into RF for a H... of a lot less money with a 41.
Richard Newman
Nicole Hamilton

Re: RF Pistols

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

metermatch wrote:By the way, a gripe: What is up with the "Larrys Guns Grey, Maine USA" stenciled on the side of my nice new $2000 gun?
Don Nygord did the same thing when he was the Pardini importer. But it's in a different place now and what struck me (on my SP New) is that part of that "Larry's Guns" marking is covered by the slide if you have the chamber plug in the gun, as you usually would when you case it. (It does show completely when the gun's in battery.) I thought that was kind of dumb. (Don used to put his name where it now says "Cat. 6936 Made in Italy.")

Dennis

RF Guns

Post by Dennis »

What is up with the "Larrys Guns Grey, Maine USA" stenciled on the side of my nice new $2000 gun?
The BATF required that all firearms imported into the country be engraved with the name, city & state of the imported.
GOVTMODEL

Re: RF Pistols

Post by GOVTMODEL »

metermatch wrote:
By the way, a gripe: What is up with the "Larrys Guns Grey, Maine USA" stenciled on the side of my nice new $2000 gun?

End gripe.

Jeff
It's required by Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Gripe to your Congressman, not Larry.
metermatch

RF Pistol

Post by metermatch »

Oops. You're right.

My Walther GSP's all have Interarms Virginia tatoo'ed on them.

Jeff
dam8

Post by dam8 »

on the Pardini New's frontend change there is no longer the room to fit larrys logo. However it could have been moved e bit more to the rear. and possibly shortened to larrys ( everyone knows its a gun!) or shorten to just me. for maine? does it have to have the town?
metermatch

Rapid Fire Pistols

Post by metermatch »

I looked at my GSP's. It says Interarms, Alexandria, VA

MyIZH-35's say E.A.A. Corp Cocoa, FL

I'm guessing that is the rule.

I have also noticed that on some cheap 8mm Mauser imported Turkish and Chech Mausers that they are engraving the caliber on the firearm as well.

Jeff