Rebarreling a GSP .32

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
R.M.

Rebarreling a GSP .32

Post by R.M. »

There a few places around that are replacing the barrels on the GSP's with different twist rates. What is the preferred rate, 1/10 or 1/12?

TIA
R.M.
Lonnie

32 rebarrel twist rate

Post by Lonnie »

R.M.

It depends on what you want the 32 to do. If you want to shoot out to 50 yards you need the fastest twist available. Bore dimension is important, too. I have read of 1:8 to 1:16 with 1:10 being the most mentioned twist rate.

Contact Alex Hamilton of Ten Ring Precision in San Antonio. He does this all the time. Great thing about him is that he reserves you a "spot" in line. When it is time for your gun to be worked on, he contacts you and finishes the work within a week. I had my S&W 41 barrel re-lined with a Hammerli liner with him. Slot time was 6 weeks. Turn around was 3 days.

He can be reached at:
Ten-Ring Precision, Inc. 1449 Blue Crest Lane San Antonio, Texas 78232. (210) 494-3063 (210) 494-3066 fax tenring@texas.net, www.tenring.com

Hope this helps,

Lonnie Meyers
Lonnie Meyers
Round Rock, Texas
F. Paul in Denver

Re: 32 rebarrel twist rate

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Lonnie wrote:R.M.

It depends on what you want the 32 to do. If you want to shoot out to 50 yards you need the fastest twist available.
I dont get it Lonnie maybe you could explain. If the fastest twist rate is what works best at 50 yards, why wouldnt that twist rate also be the most optimal at 25 ??

F. Paul in Denver
GOVTMODEL

Re: 32 rebarrel twist rate

Post by GOVTMODEL »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:
Lonnie wrote:R.M.

It depends on what you want the 32 to do. If you want to shoot out to 50 yards you need the fastest twist available.
I dont get it Lonnie maybe you could explain. If the fastest twist rate is what works best at 50 yards, why wouldnt that twist rate also be the most optimal at 25 ??

F. Paul in Denver
The relationship is non-linear. As the rotational speed of the bullet [rpm] decreases, the bullet flight is increasingly erratic.

The typical 18 inch twist is adequate for 25 yards and the .32's generally shoot fine at 25 yards. The ballistic coefficient is not large, though, and they slow down quickly. By the 50 yard line they're generally not flying very well any more.

Richard
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have purchased a barrel in 32 S&W Long made by Dale Anesi. He claims it's identical to that used by "Doc" Young. It shoots very well and has 0.308" bore. No problems with using the 0.312" lead wadcutters.
Tony
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TonyT wrote:It shoots very well and has 0.308" bore. No problems with using the 0.312" lead wadcutters.
That's the combination I used to shoot out of my FAS603, going to .313 sometimes.

The results make a mockery of the common "wisdom" that the size differential shouldn't be more than a couple of thou.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

I'm not too surprised that you can squeeze a soft lead bullet down several thousands of an inch. At the low pressures we use, I don't see it being a huge danger, within reason. I have finally found one site that is selling new barrels for the GSP's to use for Bullseye. (http://www.sasktelwebsite.net/samoc/home.html) What's surprised me is, I thought the Walther used a 1/16 twist to start with and that the after market crowd were going to something like 1/12 or 1/10 . According to this site, Walther's using 1/23????? What do I know? I do know that by going to a lighter bullet, the stock Walther barrel does shoot a little better @ 50 yds, but then the winds a problem. Earl's are selling after market barrels also for bullseye. Has anybody tried his?
Where I'm going with this is, I have a barrel that is .3163". Yes, it's a pain to load for. If I'm going to replace it, what twist rate etc. should I use? It's not that I'm going to Bullseye or something silly like that :-)
TWO8TWO

Ten-X Precision Gun Works

Post by TWO8TWO »

Robert,
Over on TargetShooting Canada, you were asking for the web-site of a gunsmith in Saskatchewan making .32 barrels for the GSP.
Could it be that you are thinking of Ten-X Precision Gun Works?
http://www.sasktelwebsite.net/samoc/lbc.html
(I tried to reply on Target Shooting but the server blocks the URL ???)
Mike Taylor