What to do with your "old" .22 Short Rapid Fire gu

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike Taylor

What to do with your "old" .22 Short Rapid Fire gu

Post by Mike Taylor »

Just another week and a half and we will be into the new rules for ISSF Rapid Fire. If you are like me, you'll then have a white elephant .22 Short Rapid Fire gun sitting around unused. What to do with it?
Not much point in converting it to .22 Long Rifle; I've got six Standard Pistols already.
Please don't bother with any cutesy or sarcastic suggestions. I'm looking for a serious new event that would make use of the strength of the "old" Rapid Fire guns - light recoil. I'm looking for a grass roots event that would provide an outlet for our now redundant .22 Short guns.

I have considered holding a "classic" rapid fire event in conjunction with the "new" Rapid Fire. Same rules as the new event, except that the pistol could be to the "old" (2004) rules. That way, "classic" competitors could shoot alongside those shooting the "new" gun, if match organizers desired - no separate squadding. Awards would be given in both Classic and new-rules Rapid Fire. Of course, Classic competitors couldn't go beyond the national level since the ISSF no longer recognizes the .22 Short - but for many of us, that's no real disadvantage - and we would get to use our .22 Short guns in competition.
It still amazes me that the ISSF can take such a cavalier attitude towards the rank and file shooter - at a stroke, destroying the value of our equipment and even, in Canada, placing some owners in the position of having to give up their now prohibited gun (barrel less than 105mm and no ISSF event to qualify for an exemption). Mind you, unless this new .22 short event was recognized by the ISSF, those affected Canadians would still have their guns confiscated.
Anyway, overlooking for the moment the plight of we poor Canadians, does anyone have some ideas for a challenging event using our obsolete .22 Short rapid fire guns?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you're looking for a non-ISSF event, and you obviously will never find an ISSF approved one, then it seems to me that your idea of a "Classic Rapid Fire" match is the obvious answer.

As you said, it can be shot concurrently with the ISSF event so wouldn't need anyadditional organisation. It would be in the same class of event as allowing men to shoot Sport Pistol, not ISSF approved but what harm can it do. None.

Here in the UK we have been forced to become experts at shooting ISSF courses of fire with the wrong guns. All of the 25m events can be successfully shot with Steyr LP5s or LP50s.
Jimmy B.

Post by Jimmy B. »

Another consideration is ammo. The ammunition makers will no doubt discontinue 22 short match ammo production, excepting perhaps a special run if demand exists.
Mike Taylor

.22 short match ammo

Post by Mike Taylor »

I never could rationalize paying the outrageous price demanded for "match" ammunition. CCI makes "target" .22 shorts that sell at a reasonably reasonable price. They also make CB shorts that are close to "match" ammo in velocity. Remington also makes .22 shorts in standard velocity. I don't anticipate these standard velocity shorts (nor the CBs) disappearing from the market. These all function in my OSP. Admittedly, the CB rounds are a little variable in power (occasional weak round that doesn't cycle the gun). Since I only shoot Rapid Fire two or three times a year and rarely break 500 (OK, never, in the last ten years), I don't think the lack of match-grade shorts is going to affect my score.
Tom

You could sell it or use it

Post by Tom »

Hi,

If you live in the USA you may be able to sell it to an NRA gallery shooter. The match is a 50 foot indoor league and the OSP or any other rapid fire pistol are greatly desired. Or you could do as I did and join a league for more "Practice"

The NRA rules only state the the ctg has to be .22 cal non-magnum rimfire. So short, long or long rifle meet the rule. Some local leagues have adopted a "NRA type" format whereas they drop the more stringent rules in order to get greater turnout. Grips and trigger weight are the ones that seem to get tossed first. The OSP can be changed to the 1Kg trigger so it is more attractive to shooters in leagues that weigh triggers. Not sure about the Pardini's and others. I only own an OSP for a RF pistol.

Find a local club with a gallery pistol team and post a card on the for sale board, may get you some cash for your new SP

OR:

On the matter of joining a league, my club is looking for new shooters. If your on the south east coast of Mass, shoot me an email and let's see about putting the RF pistol to good use.

Thanks,

My 2 Cents,

Tom
Alex

What to do with your old Rapid Fire gun

Post by Alex »

I've shot at many clubs over the years that allowed shooters to shoot for "score" only along side everyone else, even at NRA Registered matches. No prizes but usually at a reduced entry fee. I would encourage all clubs to accomodate ISSF shooters in their endeavor to shoot more with their ISSF guns. The reverse is also a winner.
Shooters with their .22 LR "NRA" guns should be allowed to try RF buy shooting all 8 second strings. Shoot ISSF SP on ISSF targets without starting from the ready position and shoot FP with their semi autos without loading single. What would be the harm in allowing .45 ACPs in CF? I think if we(ISSF shooters) would make it possible for 2700 shooters to compete with their existing guns we'ld get more crossover.
Next summer I plan asking every local match direrctor if I can shoot entire 2700s with my SP, just for score. Practice and the best shooting plan/program is of little value without shoulder to shoulder shooting.

Hold center,

Alex
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Actually they if it becomes restricted here in Canada and you already own one you might just get luck and get grandfathered so that you can actually own other prohibited firearms like all the other owners of prohibited firearms. Just a thought.
.22 short gunner

Wall hangers

Post by .22 short gunner »

It´s perhaps a pity, but the final destiny for my .22 short auto is probably in my living room.
Or more presicely a wallhanger in that room.
About a foot below a buffalo black powder rifle from the late 18 hundreds.
Then i can occasionally look at the .22 short auto and remember those days when we were shooting the old classic olympic silhuette program. With those weak-recoiling and consistently malfunctioning .22 short match pistols.

Will we miss them much, really?
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Well, I kind of will miss the shorts. I had(have) lots of fun with the low recoil and such. I have owned my osp for perhaps three years and shot it in about 8 matches. Out of those 480 shots (9.6 minutes), I had
ZERO malfunctions. My last match, I finally broke 580. Now if my SP would follow suit in reliability and score I would be a happy camper.
.22 short gunner

reliable OSP

Post by .22 short gunner »

dhurt:
Out of the 480 shots you have fired in competition you experienced no misfires. That is relatively OK. Your score of 580 (fired in competition) do indicate that you have fired quite a few thousand rounds in practise. Did you experience any malfunctions then?
If no: please mail mr Ralf Schumann. He will be delighted to now. Because he have had lasting problems with his. He has to oil the top round in the magazine before each string to make the gun function reliably.
Surely, dhurt, you´ve got a very good specimen of the OSP.

It Did not HURT me much putting that .22 short on the wall for good.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Busted! Yes I have fired a few rounds through my osp and firing CCI CB, CCI Target, Eley, RWS, Agila, and Fiocci, only the Fiocci was perfect. I did have good luck with the CCI CB's but, as mentioned by a previous poster, the power fluctuates a little. At 25 meters there was a noticable effect on grouping. Saddly, I can't find any Fiocci, I am almost out, and what is the point? My osp comes from 1973 and the original German owner swore it was a good one. It is, and its accurate as well. I will have to semi-retire the old war horse, occasionaly stepping into my wide open back yard and spraying down some offending target with my remaining assorted lots of ammo. Every dog has its day!
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Something else to consider is the fact that the NRA is very slow to change their rules. It could mean that NRA sanctioned International matches will allow the use of .22 short guns. I'm not sure if they've ever reduced the CF/Sport time limit from 6 to 5 minutes.

If nothing else, at the club level, most match organizers will or at least should allow shorts.

Just my 2 cents worth.
R.M.
utemarksman

Continuiing on with this subject . . .

Post by utemarksman »

The NRA rules only state the the ctg has to be .22 cal non-magnum rimfire. So short, long or long rifle meet the rule. Some local leagues have adopted a "NRA type" format whereas they drop the more stringent rules in order to get greater turnout. Grips and trigger weight are the ones that seem to get tossed first.
I acquired a Unique 823-U in .22 short after the 2005 rule change and I love it. Part of the reason that I bought it was to take my wife shooting. So far she likes the gun.

I'd like to take her to our local NRA league. Our league is easy on the rules for new shooters but I would like to increase the trigger weight to the legal status.

Is there anyone out there that might be able to help? Anyone know how to adjust the trigger weight? If you've done this on the 2000U it is probably similar.

If it can't be adjusted does anyone know a 'smith that might be able to do the work? I have exploded diagrams that I can share if anyone is interested.

Many thanks,
Hyrum Davis
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Frankly, I'm torn. I own a Walther OSP which I cordially dislike - the grip angle is way too steep, and the long slide trigger does not suit my style of shooting.

Worse, I'm sitting on about 7,000 rounds of R-25. Which I would cheerfully trade for good .22LR ammo.

My choices are:
1. Drop in a 1000-gram trigger, regrip it, and use it as a gallery gun. No gallery ranges around here, but....
2. Sell the blasted thing for what it will bring
3. Buy a GSP conversion kit. Probably have to regrip the thing to suit myself anyway. Never mind that I have a perfectly good Hammerli 208, backed up by a Hammerli 280
4. Buy a non-ported barrel, get it threaded, and put a suppressor on it.

Opinions?
Tom

Option #2

Post by Tom »

Mike,

Either email or PM me. I know a few BE people looking for OSP's

Tom
Justin

Post by Justin »

I actually saw one in a local pawn shop. Had a pricetag of nearly $900.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I sold my mint cond Pardini GP with all my 320SM ammo for $500. I enjoyed it for years and let it go when the time was right. Its a field day for rapid fire gun collectors. Occasionally you see older Walther OSP's on Potter's site for about $180 US dollars. Sorta like throwing money at a bad stock.....been there