comparison

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dam8

comparison

Post by dam8 »

What are the differences between the Pardini SP and the Benelli 90S? (besides $300)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

There are many differences.

Pardini-SP(first generarion)Aluminum frame,very accurate barrel, good balance,can be used for BE with a scope(no mount on SP) Early models have cracking issues with the slide, no replacements available

Benelli 90S- Milles fram from casting,removable trigger group,accurate barrel,same balance as Pardini. Built in scope mounts. Can be used for BE but scope must be removed for cleaning. Still in current production. Has had firing pin issues.

Both guns are very good each having plus's and some minus's. The newer generation of Pardini is the best, but not legal for sale in Mass. Ditto for the Benelli.

Greg Derr
sparky

Post by sparky »

A few comments on the above:

Pardini SP - All of the SPs I've seen have an integral dovetail in the top of the frame...just clamp your scope rings to the dovetail. The only cracking issues I can recall were in regard to the frame on the SP's predecessor, the SPE. The SP was beefed up to avoid this cracking (note the external ribs on the frame that the SPE lacks). IIRC, www.larrysguns.com now imports Pardinis and stocks spare parts.

Benelli - Does anyone even import these into the US anymore? I think EAA was handling them for a while, but stopped.
Greg Derr wrote:There are many differences.

Pardini-SP(first generarion)Aluminum frame,very accurate barrel, good balance,can be used for BE with a scope(no mount on SP) Early models have cracking issues with the slide, no replacements available

Benelli 90S- Milles fram from casting,removable trigger group,accurate barrel,same balance as Pardini. Built in scope mounts. Can be used for BE but scope must be removed for cleaning. Still in current production. Has had firing pin issues.

Both guns are very good each having plus's and some minus's. The newer generation of Pardini is the best, but not legal for sale in Mass. Ditto for the Benelli.

Greg Derr
william

Post by william »

Larry Carter is the importer for both Pardini and Benelli pistols. Talk with him. You can trust his advice.
GJG

Post by GJG »

I am a new member to this forum and had the same question. I called Larry a few weeks ago and basically he said both are good guns and it is a personal preferance.

I am hoping that more shooters respond so that I can make a decision. I am presently shooting a Browning Buckmark but wanted something with a better trigger (larry advised against doing a trigger job on it do to it's soft parts. Said it wouldn't last more thatn 8 months.)

I'm fairly new at Bullseye shooting and would appreciate all of your help.

Thank

GJG
GJG

Post by GJG »

I am a new member to this forum and had the same question. I called Larry a few weeks ago and basically he said both are good guns and it is a personal preferance.

I am hoping that more shooters respond so that I can make a decision. I am presently shooting a Browning Buckmark but wanted something with a better trigger (larry advised against doing a trigger job on it do to it's soft parts. Said it wouldn't last more thatn 8 months.)

I'm fairly new at Bullseye shooting and would appreciate all of your help.

Thank

GJG
Neil Foster

Comparison

Post by Neil Foster »

I purchased a Pardini SP from Larry Carter and have been very pleased with it. I spoke to some experienced shooters and a number of them suggested the Pardini had a better trigger. I will say that the Pardini SP has an excellent triggger. Both are probably capable of outshooting me however :-)
Neil
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

G,

I recommend that you not buy a new pistol without at least handling it, preferably shooting it. As Larry correctly points out, the fit and feel are very important. Either gun can shoot Master scores in the right hand. But is your hand the right hand?

FWIW - the Pardini is a more popular gun and will likely bring a higher price in the used gun market in the event you sell it.

Fred
Nicole Hamilton

Pardini SP

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Minor quibble regarding mounting a red-dot on the Pardini: My experience was that I could not get a decent, tight mount using ordinary rings because the grooves along the top of the Pardini just aren't deep enough. No matter how tight I tried to get it, the dot would start sliding back and forth within a few days. What I did was go back to Don Nygord, who sold me the gun, and bought rings he'd modified by milling off the bottoms to give more of a chisel point. Those worked great. Unfortunately, Don passed away a couple years ago and I don't know if Larry offers anything similar.

Re: Massachusetts, yes, unfortunately, almost nothing except cheap guns suitable for knocking over a 7-11 is still legal to purchase there. Recognizing their popularity, Carl, at Four Seasons in Woburn, spent a pile of money on legal fees trying to get clearance from the AG to sell the Pardini before finally just giving up. But it looks like McElhiney in Waltham may still be willing to sell them. (I left Massachusetts for the free state of Washington in 2002 but Eldon was still selling Pardinis before I left, long after Carl had given up trying.)

For those who've never met him, Eldon McElhiney is a complete nut, very opinionated. I remember one time trying to buy a 30mm Aimpoint from him. It took nearly an hour of serious arguing with him before he'd agree to do it; he kept insisting I'd be much happier with a 1" dot and I had to keep insisting I appreciated his opinion but I already had a 1" Aimpoint and now I really wanted the 30mm. Considering the 30mm was more money, I never could figure out what his problem was! Also, McElhiney's prices are usually high, especially on anything used, so be prepared to pay a premium. That said, he may be the only game in town for folks in MA.

If you can lay your hands on a Pardini SP, I think you'll be very happy. I've had mine for 6 years and it's been totally reliable with ordinary Federal Target and Match ammo. It was my "step up" from a S&W 22A and it was a really good choice for me. I'm really glad I didn't waste my time and money on a "half-step" to a S&W 41 or something like that. The two-stage trigger is absolutely fantastic. I recall when I first got my SP, my scores instantly went up by about 20 points (out of 300 possible in .22 NM gallery competition.) It was remarkable how much difference the gun made.

But as others have suggested, you really are well-advised to try the gun, at least to dry-fire it, before making your choice. Fortunately, it's very popular in the BE leagues around Boston, so hopefully you should be able to find somebody that has one and will let you try it out.

Good luck. Hope this has been helpful.