Walther LG300 Air Cylinder Problem

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TWP

Re: LG300 cylinder

Post by TWP »

randy8745 wrote:
TWP wrote:My shooter with her own personal LG300 Jr. just got her new/modified fill adapter from Champions Choice. They shorten the stem on the fill adapter by about 1/8".

We used the new fill adapter to fill her rifle last night at practice. No air dump at all.

If you have access to a lathe it looks like a pretty easy modification, if not call Homer at CC and send your fill adapter in to him, or just buy a new modified one from him, they only cost $20.
All though I get an occassional leak when I release from the filling tank most of my leaks come when I release the cylinder from the rifle. If what your telling me is a solution a shorter nipple on the rifle would solve the problem, which is impossible for us to change. That change would have to come from the manufacture. It would be simpler for them to make a design change to the cylinder. The problem is directly related to the valve in the cylinder they just aren't seating when the cylinder is released from the rifle.

The majority of the problems I've seen have been when filling from the Scuba Tank.

The shorter nipple on the fill adapter works because the air pressure forces the valve open instead of the nipple pushing it back and holding it open.

I don't think shortening the nipple on the rifle will work because it is needed to push the valve open so air can get into the rifle. It sounds more like your problem is a sticky valve on the cylinder. and I think you are correct any change or fix would have to come from Walther.
randy8745

Re: LG300 cylinder

Post by randy8745 »

TWP wrote:
randy8745 wrote:
TWP wrote:My shooter with her own personal LG300 Jr. just got her new/modified fill adapter from Champions Choice. They shorten the stem on the fill adapter by about 1/8".

We used the new fill adapter to fill her rifle last night at practice. No air dump at all.

If you have access to a lathe it looks like a pretty easy modification, if not call Homer at CC and send your fill adapter in to him, or just buy a new modified one from him, they only cost $20.
All though I get an occassional leak when I release from the filling tank most of my leaks come when I release the cylinder from the rifle. If what your telling me is a solution a shorter nipple on the rifle would solve the problem, which is impossible for us to change. That change would have to come from the manufacture. It would be simpler for them to make a design change to the cylinder. The problem is directly related to the valve in the cylinder they just aren't seating when the cylinder is released from the rifle.

The majority of the problems I've seen have been when filling from the Scuba Tank.

The shorter nipple on the fill adapter works because the air pressure forces the valve open instead of the nipple pushing it back and holding it open.

I don't think shortening the nipple on the rifle will work because it is needed to push the valve open so air can get into the rifle. It sounds more like your problem is a sticky valve on the cylinder. and I think you are correct any change or fix would have to come from Walther.
I have had five Walther rifles and everyone of the cylinders would release their entire contents of air when trying to on screw them from the rifle. CMP shipped me five more to replace those and after a couple of months they too are know doing the same thing. The valves in the cylinders are just not sealing when they are being uncrewed from the rifle. This to me is a design or manufacturing flaw.
randy8745

LG300 cylinder

Post by randy8745 »

I got a call from the CMP to ship back my cylinders so that they can inspect them and find out what the problem is with the cylinders.
Jake Rifle 300

Post by Jake Rifle 300 »

I shoot an lg300xt and i have had no problem with the cylinder at all, but somewone else on my team shoots a p70 and he has busted 2 cylinders all ready.
RCB

LG300 Jr Air Cylinder

Post by RCB »

I have been following everyones problems with the LG300 Jr air rifles. We have 8 in our club that we purchased from the CMP and all of them are releasing air. Has anyone gotten any new information on this problem? I enjoy all of the information that I gather here. Thank you!
TWP

Post by TWP »

Our rifles have stopped releasing air since we started using the fill adapter that had been shortened.

But we didn't have problems with them releasing air while being screwed in.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I never got a reply from Walther, I've been shooting smallbore lately so I haven't used the air rifle in several weeks. This is about to change as I have an air rifle match in late January and need to start practicing. Walther has really shot themselves in the foot with this as far as I'm concerned, I really like the air rifle a lot except for this annoying air dumping problem. Since this problem seems to be widespread and since Walther has apparently decided to ignore the problem this really shakes my confidence in their customer service. Any manufactured product can have an unforeseen defect, it is the companies grace when handling such a situation that really tells of their character. I need to replace my smallbore rifle soon and was seriously considering a Walther but now I doubt I would ever buy anything with the Walther name on it again. Guess I'll buy an Anschutz. Thank you to everyone who helped add information to this topic.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
randy8745

Leaking Cylinders

Post by randy8745 »

I sent all my cylinders back from all five of my rifles back to the CMP about 4 months ago. They exchanged all my cylinders for new ones, but they acknowledged that this is only a temporary fix as this is the second set of cylinders. They have contacted Scott about trying to comeup with a cause, but I haven't heard anything as to whether anything has been discovered. Will let everybody know if the tell me anything.

Post by Guest »

Has there been any resolution to Walther cylinder problem yet?
Has Walther bothered to respond to the inquires sent to them regarding this problem?
I did note that the CMP has apparently finally made some sort of deal with Anshutz. Perhaps Walther's poor response to this issue caused CMP to correct it in another way.
It is about time that the CMP offer smallbore rifles for clubs that are realistic for serious competition.
RCB

LG300 Jr Air Cylinder

Post by RCB »

Has anyone got anymore info on how to cure the cylinder air leaking problem? Walther has been zero (0) help on this!!!!! Thank you in advance.
topshot

Post by topshot »

We have 9 LG300s and have never had a problem except when someone used the 200 bar (shorter) adapter on a 300 bar DIN valve.
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

We have 2 of the Walthers, and both have had the same problem.

Looks like we are not alone.

They were reasonably priced from the CMP, but it looks like a FWB or an Anschutz are a better choice in the long run.

Jay V
AIAC
IL
DWG

Post by DWG »

I just purchased a walther LG300 XT from our host, I also have a Walther LP300 pistol. I have filled the LG 300 cylinder about a 10 times without a leak. I do use the 300 bar fill adaptor even though I am filling from a 3000 psi scuba tank.
DWG

Post by DWG »

I just purchased a walther LG300 XT from our host, I also have a Walther LP300 pistol. I have filled the LG 300 cylinder about a 10 times without a leak. I do use the 300 bar fill adaptor even though I am filling from a 3000 psi scuba tank.
dhiru

Nonsense

Post by dhiru »

I have owned a Walther LG300 from the past 2 years and beleive me I have no problem as such, ever.

I have always filled my cylinder from 300bar adapter and from a Compressed Air Cylinder tank, I would suggest you all to do the same.....

All the best

Dhirender
RCB

Walther LG300 Jrs-Releasing air

Post by RCB »

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard anything new on this problem? I asked around at JORCs and at Camp Perry this summer, but Walther must have lost everyones e-mail address as well as mine. If they have found an answer, they are keeping it to themselves. The juniors like the rifles, but it is hard for them to have faith in them when they hear the air blowing off! Good Shooting!
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

No, never heard a thing from Walther. I did talk to 10X, (Todd Utter) the gunsmith at Camp Perry about it and he thinks he can fix it but I didn't get around to shipping him the rifle and now the indoor season is upon me. I'll be sending it to him in November I guess, after my matches are over. BTW, I did buy an Anschutz smallbore rifle, Walther lost a sale because of their ignoring this problem.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"

no problem here

Post by Guest »

I've been shooting a walther 300 xt (aluminum) for about a year now and a rough estimete of 3000 shots. At least 15 fills later, i've never had any problem with tank leaking or anything. The manual says that the tank can take 300 bar, but the most i've ever filled it to was 230. While I'm on the subject, is anyone else shooting Nitrogen instead of air? I have been for about 3 monthes and have had no problems of any kind.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have heard of some clubs in Europe using nitrogen but don't know if this is true. I would think it would be a better choice but here in the US the logistics of getting 3000 psi nitrogen in a form that can be put into an air rifle tank would be an uphill battle.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Hip's Ax wrote:No, never heard a thing from Walther.
I did some checkin because i remembers some one had done a cylinder recall unfortunatly in was Anschutz

I dont like the sound of dumping cylinder frankly i expect the is a safty factor involved - it does not sound very safe especial if it a sticky valve.

The is an odd thing hear did you contace waltheramerica.com? because that seems to be smith and wesson who distribute walther firearms in the US, if its them i doubt the know walther even make air wepons

Try contacting walther in germany, tell them their us branch is not responding, german eficiency wont like that and I bet they reply. The have always replied to my questions asked in english some time took a week to 10 days but never ignored.

http://www.carl-walther.de

Dont bother with switching into english it reroutes you to their old site. The new site is well behave and translate beautifly with babel fish http://babelfish.altavista.com/

select the like "KONTAKT" at the top and fill in the for

Best of luck

Julian