Help with Free Pistol ID

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BothellBob

Help with Free Pistol ID

Post by BothellBob »

I finally gave in to temptation. Does anybody recognize this free pistol? No name at all that I can find; just the numbers "125" in three places.

I can supply more pictures of any detail that would help.
Thanks,
-BothellBob
Matvei

Post by Matvei »

The serial number you mention may lead to a Finnish freepistol produced a very limited numbers in late 1930's. Also, the bolt in the gun shows similarities with that gun. The entire production of these guns was well under 200 units. If you find any letters in the body (e.g. "VKT"), it may help. So far, this is only a pure guess of the gun's origin. Anyway, you have a real rarity.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Can you send some other images, a little lighter also. Greg
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

Here are some other views. Thanks for the help so far.

I took it to the range today and shot a match. No improvement in score, but I had more in the black (and a few way out in the astroid belt that I'll claim are the result of a very light trigger I am not yet used to).
-BothellBob
rick983

Post by rick983 »

Your gun was made by Schultz & Larsen in 1959-60. I had a mint example awhile back. Mine came with the factory literature and apparently only 200 were manufactured on a trial basis. This explains the absense of markings. According to the literature that came with mine, it was dropped before full time production began. A very scarce and fine pistol.
Richard in Indiana
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

And some close-ups of the bolt. The barrel is about 11 inch (~28 cm). Stylistically it has been suggested to me (on another forum) that it shares some of the looks of the MC2-3 that Pilkington has listed at:

http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spmc2-3.htm

However, I see little else to suggest that it is an early Vostok. Do you have a name for the Finnish possibility? The sights do not click, they twist smooth. I am still reluctant to remove the wood until I have some idea of what the various screws might connect to beneath the surface.

-BothellBob
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

rick983 wrote:Your gun was made by Schultz & Larsen in 1959-60. I had a mint example awhile back. Mine came with the factory literature and apparently only 200 were manufactured on a trial basis. This explains the absense of markings. According to the literature that came with mine, it was dropped before full time production began. A very scarce and fine pistol.
Richard in Indiana
Richard, Many thanks! I was fairly sure from the quality of workmanship that it would turn out to be a fine manufacturer, but I am particularly pleased that it happens to be Schultz & Larsen. (...and so would my Danish forebearers) Did you have any dealings with the company? I will write them for any help and history they might be able to supply, and would appreciate hearing about your experience with them (if you had any). You say you "had" a mint example. Is there a "shooting" reason that it is gone, or did you consider it to be a "collector" piece?

As to a range report, I'll post one in a few weeks, after I get a little more experience with it. At this point I am fairly sure that accuracy is not an issue, the sights adjust infinitely, and the trigger is way lighter than I am used to.
-Bob
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.
rick983

Schultz & Larsen Free Pistol

Post by rick983 »

I bought mine from the estate of a long time local collector who had the neat habit of buying the finest target firearms and never shooting them. My Schultz & Larsen came with the original 1959 letter from Phil Sharpe (originator of the 7x61 S&H cartridge), who was the US rep for Schultz & Larsen. This had been his personal gun that S&L had sent him to use as a sales tool. According to the letter, S&L was busy with orders for their rifles and did not have the manufacturing space to make these pistols and the idea was dropped in 1959. The workmanship was superb! You have a rare and desirable pistol. Good shooting.