Range at LV/ Chicago

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

mishradk

Range at LV/ Chicago

Post by mishradk »

Hi People
For a business visit i am going to Chicago (Libertyville) for few months. Can any one please tell me if there is any shooting range for 50Mtrs Rifle and 10 Mtrs Air rifle?

Thanks in adv.
Mishra
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Hello Mishra,

The Chicago area is lacking in 50m ranges. There are some indoor ranges at 50 and 75 feet in the area. We are getting into the winter season, so outdoor shooting is only for the very stout hearted.

The Arlington International Airgun Club (AIAC) shoots in Arlington Heights, which is about a 30-60 minute drive from Libertyville, depending on traffic. The range is open Wednesday evening and Saturday morning. Membership is very reasonable. Contact me offline (s.turner@motorola.com) and I can give you more info.

Welcome to the area, are you working at Motorola?

Steve
wrc

Post by wrc »

Steve is right: there are only a few ranges with 50m capability in the Chicago area - none of which are indoors. If you are really stout of heart and want to do 50m or yards outside, Sycamore Sportsmen has public days on weekends, but that might just be a summer thing.

For 10m Air, in addition to Arlington, the Wheaton Rifle Club has an indoor 50 ft range for smallbore rifle and air gun. You are welcome to come as a guest, we also have some basic equipment to loan, courtesy of NRA Grants. Club practice night is Friday, junior practice is Wednesday (adults too, if there's space). Drop an email to " pal177 at att dot net " for more info. We are in the Carol Stream area, in the western suburbs.

Also - There was some airgunning going on at Bristol Wisconsin. (Badgerland club??) Is Vlad still around?
And there used to be a German-American airgun club in Chicago. They were meeting at the DANK Haus at one time. Ring a bell with anyone?
Sigh - so few of us, and so scattered!
mishradk

Post by mishradk »

Hi People,
Thanks a lot for your info. I am thinking to visit LV during mid jan. I am a small bore rifle shooter. I shoot prone for ISSF rule matches. I get 569/600.
But now thinking to take up Air rifle (10 mtrs) and small bore 3p for 50 mtrs. Thiking to purchase one FWB 700 Alu. I am very very serius in this sports.

Thanks people for your info. Once my travel is scheduled i will contact you for help.
Regards
Mishra
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

The Wheaton Rifle Club is an excellent place to shoot with lots of friendly people. I only wish they would let us pistol shooters in :)

Steve T
wrc

Post by wrc »

SteveT wrote:The Wheaton Rifle Club is an excellent place to shoot with lots of friendly people. I only wish they would let us pistol shooters in :)

Steve T
Thanks for the kind words! We enjoyed hosting all of you "non-rifle" shooters for Prairie State Games.
As long as you promise to only use air pistol at our range, you are most welcome to join us! We use the term "air gun" quite deliberately to include both air rifle and air pistol. Why, even some of our own rifle shooting members enjoy air pistol now and then.
:^) Paula
anschutzshooter

Post by anschutzshooter »

This is kind of off topic, but Paula, is the Prairie State Games going to be in Wheaton again this year? Also, when is the next match up there? (I think I asked you at our last match...but I forgot)

Diana
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

On Subject

Most Illinois shooters travel to Streator to shoot sanctioned 50 foot indoor smallbore matches(NRA and USAS). This is approx. two hour drive from Libertville.
Streator has a collegiate Sectional schedule for Jan 21 and 22. Smlbore and Air. If there is an empty point, I'll bet you could have it. I may grab a point and practice prone while the kids are competing. I hate to see an open firing point go to waiste. We love visitors.

Off topic,
I heard Prairie State games will be going to Bloominton in 07. I don't know if that is written in stone. I wish Bloomington had a shooting range set up for ISSF shooting.

Ray Odle
isuguncoach

Prairie State Games

Post by isuguncoach »

Ray, and group. discussions are ongoing about moving the Games to Bloomington, and my understanding is it will happen in 2006. But dates may move to July, due to conflicts in sports venues.
As to the original thread, both of the air clubs is the Chicago land have some great people that are fun to shoot with and against. Watch the Junior shooters up there, they are well coached and competitive.
wrc

Post by wrc »

As far as PSG, the Wheaton Club is ready to "do it again", but hasn't heard anything from PSG officials yet.
There were some noses out of joint in Bensenville, and DuPage county that they were promised large amounts of tourism dollars that never really materialized. (no wonder considering most people came from the area, and didn't need to stay in a hotel). But last reports in the newspaper had the games back in Bensenville for 2006.

Anyways, the next match we'll most likely have at Wheaton is the April air rifle match. No firm date set yet. Which weekend would be better: earlier in the month, or later? (provided we avoid Easter).

Some members are also talking about reviving a 100-shot Offhand match. That would be smallbore rifle at A17 targets, any sights. We'll post that if it happens. :^)
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

The old 100 point gallery match was four position on the A-17.
I believe standing was the fourth position.
4x10 irons,
4x10 any sight
twenty final points any sights standings

This match was reintroduced at Streator, IL several years back. Old trophies were discovered and refurbished. Back in the 70's Jack Writer owned this match.