What air pistol to buy.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Josed

What air pistol to buy.

Post by Josed »

Hi, I'm new to air pistol and don't know whish one to buy. I'm would like some imput on what air pistol is the most accurate, or the best for the money. Thank's.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Try a search on here, the question comes up almost every week. Simply put though there is no one answer, any of the top brands will be more than adequate in terms of accuracy. The deciding factor is really which model you prefer and feels best for you. Try and handle as many as you can and make an informed decision from there.

Rob.
Dan

Post by Dan »

You cannot really go wrong with a Steyr LP10.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

you really cannot go wrong with a Morini CM162EI either

so I bought one of each :)

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
william

Post by william »

You really can't go wrong with a Pardini K2 either.
You really can't go wrong with a Benelli Kite either.
You really can't go wrong with a Hammerli AP 40 either.
You really can't go wrong with a Walther LP 300 either.
You really can't go wrong with a FWB P40 either.
You really can't go wrong with an Izh 46M either.
You really can't go wrong with an Aeron TAU either.
You really can't go wrong with any number of good used air pistols either.
And so on....
Dan Cryderman

What air pistol to buy.

Post by Dan Cryderman »

I just started using an Aeron ACZ - 101 Spider Im impressed
Dan
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

or you might want to consider something like feinwerkbau 103. you would have to cock for every shot but you wont need to have get a scuba tank or a hand pump.

anyway i found that beginners improve fastest with spring guns such as the feinwerkbau 65. maybe its just because of the weight lol.
Dan

Post by Dan »

william wrote:You really can't go wrong with a Pardini K2 either.
You really can't go wrong with a Benelli Kite either.
You really can't go wrong with a Hammerli AP 40 either.
You really can't go wrong with a Walther LP 300 either.
You really can't go wrong with a FWB P40 either.
You really can't go wrong with an Izh 46M either.
You really can't go wrong with an Aeron TAU either.
You really can't go wrong with any number of good used air pistols either.
And so on....
You cannot compare most of those models to the Steyr and the Morini. True, for some reason people seem to think every beginner has to go through some sort of initiation and shoot for months or years with lesser guns but if you ask ten top shooters which two models they would recommend, at least 8 but more likely ten would say Morini (electronic or mechanic trigger) and Steyr LP10. Its something most better shooters agree on that the hammerli and the Walther have lesss than ideal sights and are more shaky by design than the two top guns, the FWB is quite new and noone has enough first hand experience and the other ones you mentioned are second or third row competitors.

And dont start with "hey the national record was set with the IZH..." because that has no relation to the question.
superstring

Post by superstring »

Post by Guest »

Dan,
I dont think you could could credibly say that the Pardini K2S was second/third rate.
Have a first hand look at one first hand.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

One guy's opinion (as always):

FWIW, many factors go into what makes a match-grade gun "most accurate" or "best for the money" (original post).

Consider first that which factors are important to you- and what performance level is required on each of the factors- depends on what you intend to use the tool for. All the guns on the list (previously given) are fine for plinking rats at the town dump. Most (probably all) of the guns on the list are fine for training fundamentals to juniors; or as "hobby guns" for afficionados of the sport with no goals beyond being their individual state champion "some day."

However- and this may or not be what the original poster was asking for- if you want an internationally competitive tool that will take you as far as your potential allows you to go, some other considerations are in order, in my humble opinion.

There are the factors that should probably be considered "order qualifiers" like machine accuracy, ease of use, and reliability.

- Lots of disagreement here- but for some fairly obvious reasons, the baseline pretty much cuts out crankers and CO2.
- Machine accuracy is fine for most of the guns on the list.
- Reliability is somewhat spotty for some of the guns on the list.

Then there are the factors that must be considered "order winners" that will separate the "ok" choices from the "best" choices.

- Feel and balance; "pointability"
- Technical adjustability for optimization (sights, grips, trigger, etc.)
- Fire control system (trigger quality, consistency, etc.)

The field narrows as you get focused on winning.

Morini, Steyr seem to be very well represented among the top shooters. There are many reasons why this could be so . . . inertia, coach's recommendations, resistance to change, etc. etc. etc.

However, the alternative explanations for why Steyr and Morini are so popular among top shooters tend to become less powerful under scrutiny. Indeed, the Morini electronic trigger has become very popular *in spite of* resistance to change, historical folklore about electronic triggers, and many of the other "historical" reasons why a certain brand/type of gun achieves dominance. The Morini electronic trigger guns have nowhere near the "bells and whistles" as the other guns (including the Steyr) but are quite popular anyhow . . .

Steve Swartz
mikeschroeder

Re: What air pistol to buy.

Post by mikeschroeder »

Josed wrote:Hi, I'm new to air pistol and don't know whish one to buy. I'm would like some imput on what air pistol is the most accurate, or the best for the money. Thank's.
Hi

In my opinion your answers so far weren't that helpful. How about we start this over a little bit. How much have you shot? What are your goals? How much do you want to spend on this air pistol?

If you're starting out, and a Junior, USA Shooting offers Tau-7s for $375, a good price for a good starter gun. Go to matches and check out other people's guns before you buy a new $1500 gun.

Later

Mike
Dan

Post by Dan »

Steve brings up a good point with the "secondary" strengths of the guns. Hämmerli for example is known for lettting their customers die before delivering spare parts. Steyr on the other hand does an excellent job. Cant report on others. I'm on europe so i cannot really comment on our hosts performance but i hear only the best things.

Re: What air pistol to buy.

Post by Guest »

Josed wrote:Hi, I'm new to air pistol and don't know whish one to buy. I'm would like some imput on what air pistol is the most accurate, or the best for the money. Thank's.

If you're budge is <$140, the Daisy 747 is very accurate and has pretty good trigger. The plastic grips are marginal - but can be replaced.