Ways of the Rifle book...should I get it.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

2002man

Ways of the Rifle book...should I get it.

Post by 2002man »

As a beginner, I have all sorts of things I'm trying to figure out about this sport. Does the book "The Ways of the Rifle" cover pretty much everything I'll need to know about 3 position shooting?

thanks,
Scott
Anshutz Smallbore 3P shooter
North Carolina
2002man

-5 for spelling

Post by 2002man »

I could at least spell Anschutz right.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I do think it is about the best book on the subject. It is very detailed. It won't tell you everything you need to know I suppose there is no one source for that but that book has a lot of information.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

Welcome to the sport 2002man.
I'm a beginner too but in air rifle (standing), and from what I've heard that book is the way to go.
Right now I'm reading William Krilling's Shooting for Gold and it's pritty good (I think) for my level. It is very easy to understand and covers almost everything a beginner should know.
I will wait for my rifle to come and practice what I've been learning off this book with it.
My next step will be "Ways Of The Rifle" (which I think is more updated) and "With Winning in Mind".

My 2 cents.
johnbraks

Post by johnbraks »

If you believe "......a picture is worth a thousand words........." then you should definitely get "Ways of the Rifle".
John
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I'd say it's indispensable.

Before I bought it I had read both of David Tubb's books. While Tubb gives you a basic understanding of his positions as a starting point for developing yours, Maik Eckhardt, Heinz Reinkenmeir, and Gaby Bulmann give you the theory of sound positions based on their coaching and competitive experiences which gives you a much higher ability to design positions that are fundamentally sound yet fitted to you.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I can't say that it's the best book ever written on the subject of the technical aspects of shooting, 2002, but it is decidedly the best book I've ever read on it, with Horneber's Olympic Target Rifle Shooting being a close second; but what Ways of the Rifle does that Horneber doesn't is to show the variations in position and analyse why they work or don't.

That said, it's an incomplete book; the authors themselves say at the end of the book that after 207 pages, "We are still a good way from our goal. Significant aspects of the sport have so far got no further than the superficial". Personally, I think that's a plus; they've actually analysed their work honestly to look for the gaps and they don't hide anything, the sign of a well-executed piece of work.

They say they plan to release a second volume to work on this; I plan to buy it as soon as I see it, if I have to avoid competitions for a month afterwards to do so!
joydeepk

other books

Post by joydeepk »

hi everybody,
ive a book- The New Position Rifle Shooting, thats a piece of shooting material to do with psychology of the sport mainly.has any read it? wondering how others rate it,but i found it to be good advance psychology for shooting,though a bit confusing at times.
i think complex psychology is indeed involved in higher level of performance, and if undertaken correctly can produce remarkable results.
any one on this?
regards...............................................................joydeep
joydeepk

other books

Post by joydeepk »

hi everybody,
ive a book- The New Position Rifle Shooting, thats a piece of shooting material to do with psychology of the sport mainly.has any read it? wondering how others rate it,but i found it to be good advance psychology for shooting,though a bit confusing at times.
i think complex psychology is indeed involved in higher level of performance, and if undertaken correctly can produce remarkable results.
any one on this?
regards...............................................................joydeep
irbs

ways of the rifle

Post by irbs »

Everyone needs a good ISSF coach. The books mentioned are excellent but a good coach to set you up properly in the beginning is a lot more important.
BOOKER

Re: ways of the rifle

Post by BOOKER »

irbs wrote:Everyone needs a good ISSF coach. The books mentioned are excellent but a good coach to set you up properly in the beginning is a lot more important.
Definately if it's easy to find an ISSF coach around, since that's not the case for most of us.
We have no coaches in my country, so I'll keep reading, asking and searching.
TWP

Re: ways of the rifle

Post by TWP »

irbs wrote:Everyone needs a good ISSF coach. The books mentioned are excellent but a good coach to set you up properly in the beginning is a lot more important.
irbs,

Not arguing that a good coach is nescessary, they are very much so.

But every "Good" coach I've met has a copy of Ways of the Rifle. OUr club bought a copy to share.
egyptian shooter

go ahead

Post by egyptian shooter »

hi 2002man

from the technical point of view "ways of the rifle" will surve you a lot
but mentally you will need "with winning in mind"

i think that reading is the most important source of knowledge