Can anyone go to the Nationals

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kiko

Can anyone go to the Nationals

Post by kiko »

Hi all:
can anyone go to the Nationals?? or the Olympic trials for that matter, I mean AP and FP. I think that whoever wins both matches at the trials get to go to the Olympics, after someone else got the quota before. I mean I've seen scores in the 400's at the trials.
I know, I can check with USA Shooting or call, but I'm just too lazy, besides my fellow air pistoleers are smarters. thanks. K.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

if we're so smart how come we're not rich?

Yes anyone in our sport can attend the nationals and the tryouts.

and in '04 the top 2 from that open tryout went to athens

I understand their will be a more discriminating and long term process for selecting the '08 team

3X air at OTC is just 5 weeks away!

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

well, not just anybody; you have to have an MQS at an ISSF Championships : rule Q3.1 (wildcard entries do not go to 'stronger' shooting countries)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer C wrote:(wildcard entries do not go to 'stronger' shooting countries)
But even those given "Invitation" places need an MQS (rule Q.8.2).

It is extremely unlikely that less than an MQS score would be considered "an outstanding result" suitable for a "Universality" place (Q.8.3).
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

The only requirement to attend and participate in the USAS Nationals and the Spring & Fall Selection matches in USAS membership. A score in a PTO is a "should have".

Oh yes, you have to pay the entry fee.

And yes, there are participants that do not have a grasp of marksmanship basics, no concept of the match procedures and equipment that is marginal for plinking purposes just a few firing positions from the national champions and other top shooters.

Participation in International competitions is another story, and those requirements are published on the USAS website for US citizens.
kiko

Post by kiko »

So Pete:
If an unknown walks into the selection matches and wins, then he or she goes to the Olympic, is that right??
K.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

kiko wrote:If an unknown walks into the selection matches and wins, then he or she goes to the Olympic, is that right??
For anybody to go to the Olympics they must have shot an MQS in a qualifying competition, their country must have a spare quota place in that event and their National Governing Body must select them to compete.

Post by Guest »

At the nationals this summer at Ft. Benning there were a few shooters on the Free Pistol line whose coach did not do them a service by entering them in that match. They eventually were disqualified for not being able to keep their shots inside the frame or hitting the frame. IMHO this was a disservice to those youngsters, and more of a disservice to the shooters who were placed adjacent to their firing positions. I witnessed one shooter who received several crossfires from one youngster, and that youngster had no idea where his shots were going. He was moved after protests to one of the line officers. That's a bad position to put a kid into. Everyone has to start somewhere, but that event is not a place for new shooters to begin. I felt sorry for them for having been inserted into that position by their coach. As competitions on this level are important to the majority of the participants and they train for months for them, it is best that while most all may attend they at least have the basic skills so as to not disrupt the match for their fellow shooters.
kiko

Post by kiko »

That is exactly what I was trying to say or discuss when I started this tread. I mean here in the US. Unfortunately, Olympic pistol is non existent, again, here in the USA. Are we gona be able to change that? I'll keep my high hopes, for the sport we love. K.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

Saying lympic pistol is non-existant is simply not true. No, it is not a smaller group than I would like.

But do not sit and waste band width complaining. Use band width to promote the sport. I hold a few PTOs, three of us went to the Nationals. One of us took a few medals.

BTW, I also had a member of the gang that could not shoot straight next to me the first day of FP. Not much fun when he claimed I cross fired and hit his frame!

Make Olympic pistol live with your efforts. It only dies when we let it die.

Pete