Shooting Glasses

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Robbo

Shooting Glasses

Post by Robbo »

Hi All,
I'm shooting in a 3 and 4 position smallbore rifle league. I've come to that point in my life where I need prescription glasses for reading (and more importantly seeing the front sight!).

I'm considering the Randolph Engineering Ranger XL model. I was wondering if any here had any experience with them? I thought that the adjustable nose piece would handy moving inbetween positions. Seems like I'm staring directly into my current reading glasses frames half the time!

I am NOT considering the Champion, Gehmann, etc style shooting glasses at this point as I am cash constrained and need something I can use outside of shooting.

Regards,
Rob
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

For the truly cash-constrained, you might want to look at these http://shorinternational.com/SafetyGlasses.htm clip-on reading glasses. I use the .75 and 1.0 for pistol shooting although the .75 might not be a low enough diopter for rifle shooting with open sights.

Best,

Joe
Robbo

Shooting Glasses

Post by Robbo »

Thanks for the input. The problem I have is that my current shooting glasses (non-RX) and reading glasses both get in the way in certain positions. I need a frame with large lenses and/or an adjustable nose bridge to raise the frame out of my line of sight.

Regards,
Rob
Robbo

Shooting Glasses

Post by Robbo »

Oh yeah,
I forgot one other thing. My two eyes have different prescriptions! My right (aiming eye) is pretty much normal. My left (NON-aiming) eye has a lense that sticks at a certain focus distance, after all day on the computer if I don't wear my glasses.

Actually it was by shooting rile that I found out I had this problem. The top half of my sight picture would be nice and round while the bottom half would be an oval slanting to the left. More than somewhat distracting! I was wonder why shots that felt "good" were out in the 5 ring while other shots that felt "bad" were in the 10 ring.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I think you're best off biting the bullet and getting real shooting glasses. The Randolph frame you mentioned is $125. Varga frames from our sponsor are $95, Knobloch's are $145.

The cost isn't that much different; capitalized and taken over the life of the frames, they're quite inexpensive. I've had a pair of Knobloch's since 1992:-)
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Some need glasses that will provide protection from CF cartridge ruptures. None of the Euro frames provide enough, IMO.

For that reason I am going with a set of Randolph Rangers, since I shoot both RF and CF rifles.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Shooting Glasses

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Robbo wrote:Hi All,
I'm shooting in a 3 and 4 position smallbore rifle league. I've come to that point in my life where I need prescription glasses for reading (and more importantly seeing the front sight!).

Regards,
Rob
A number of high power shooters use a rear sight that accepts a corrective lens. That way they can wear whatever eyewear they want and have the proper correction.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

i used randolph rangers for service rifle and found the GREAT

especially when Clarence up at Camp Perry helps you find the ideal lens for the shooting eye.

Poole
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Thanks folks. I'm glad to hear positive feed back on the Rangers.

Govtmodel,
A good idea about the aperture lense and regular shooting glasses, but it won't work for me. My non-aiming eye is the problem.

Robbo
Sod-it

Shooting Glasses

Post by Sod-it »

Have you considered trying a Barrel extension tube! This takes the foresight further away from your eye allowing you to focus on the foresight again without having to use shooting glasses? Assuming you are now using PLUS + lens for reading. lol. Another bonus is a longer sight base. I have been using a 9inch tube dove-tailed for 6inch allowing good adjustment.