taking training risks and making leaps

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CraigE

taking training risks and making leaps

Post by CraigE »

Could be a bit long!

At the risk of setting the lid of Pandora's box askew a little, I would like to revisit the gist of some recent threads here. We have (those of us lurking and reading) witnessed some intense exchanges about coaching, advice, credentials, self-promotion, personal histories and so on.

I would like to share my recent experience:

All the chatter not withstanding, I chose to somehow find a real coach....one with both the expertise and skill to shoot well and one able to make those messages and skills come across clearly. I have been a devotee of Target Talk for several years. I read nearly all the posts. I have gleaned much information and have tremendous respect for the contributors who take the time to write. My shooting in AP has gotten better because of it.....and it hasn't gone anywhere for a while too. Seems contradictory, but the reality is that simply reading about surgery doesn't enable you to perform it. It does make you more receptive to the practical skills.....when demonstrated and explained to you from one of experience. I have read and re-read YurYev, Skanaker, Basham, the TT Archives and Hitchikers Guide. The all offer excellent basic information. Perhaps a few among us can translate the content of the text into producing quality results. I really tried. But I faced up to the stark reality that I am not in my teens or twenties and I don't have decades to wallow around in trial and error to achieve my objectives. Shooting is a challenge and the challenge makes it fun. Fun is more fun when it gets results. I stumbled on an opportunity to meet with a coach. I have never shied away from spending money on equipment, but more knowledge also seemed to be worthy of investment. This is a hobby.....right? After spending a few hours with an excellent coach, my understanding of the fundemental aspects and how they work together to produce perfect shots, I began to see how to effectively train and assure progress if I pay attention to each element as it relates to the process. The sum of all this is simple. If you want to shoot better and to the limit of your abilities, seek a coach. Other "hobby" sports have them...the golf pro for example. I have enjoyed the shooting experience so far....but my real shooting begins now. It will be rooted in fundementals executed properly. I will attain my objectives. By the way, the coach I happened to get in touch with was Rouslan Dialtov.....and I might never have been aware of his program without Target Talk. This is a mighty forum.....thanks to the earnest efforts of Pilkington and the posters. Russ, like many of us following this forum, has a passion for the sport and has not only put in the effort to excel, he has endeavored to involve others. This may seem a bit promotional.....no apology for that although I get no compensation. A good coach will know how to emphasize and criticize with compassion for each individual shooter. Find a coach if you want to shoot better. It isn't easy. I was lucky. Thanks for reading. CraigE
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

you are pretty lucky to be able to have the resources you have. i can only wish that i had access to more written literature and have the spare money engage a coach. what i can only do now is to trial and error and to rely on libary works that are close to marksmanship. basically all i can find that is relevent are mental aspects of the sport and nothing on the technical and physiological fronts.
CraigE

I am lucky

Post by CraigE »

The luck was in becoming aware of a coach. The resources were a bit of a stretch, but in the long run I feel worth the sacrifice. The rest is up to me. The books are worthwhile. But if you ever get the chance to get some real coaching.....don't let it slip by. CraigE
David Levene

Re: taking training risks and making leaps

Post by David Levene »

CraigE wrote:This may seem a bit promotional.....no apology for that although I get no compensation. A good coach will know how to emphasize and criticize with compassion for each individual shooter. Find a coach if you want to shoot better.
I don't think many on this forum would have any problem with a regular user posting a personal recommendation. How else would most get to hear about new developements, whether in technique (nothing really new there anyway) or equipment.

Where the complaints come is when posts are obvious advertising not containing useful advice.

With regard to finding a good coach, I would totally agree although it was never a problem I personally had. When I first started shooting here in the UK the club I joined would not let you even hold a pistol until you were on a training course. They had several qualified instructors for both rifle and pistol. From there I became a member of a regional squad where there were several extremely good technical coaches. This led me on to our National Squad where I joined up with the best coach I have ever met. His technical knowledge was adequate, but not supreme. Where he excelled was that he knew people (many years as a policeman) and knew how to motivate people.
Rapid

Coach

Post by Rapid »

Hi David,
Are you referring to John Chandler by any chance?
Bob
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

No Bob. I knew John very well of course, but my coach was Les Cotterill.

Regretably both Les and John are no longer with us.
Rapid

John

Post by Rapid »

Hi David,
Sorry to hear that John is no longer with us (did not know Les myself). I met him on numerous occasions in the late seventies. At the time I was a member of the Dutch National Pistol Squad and the discussions I had with him were a tremendous influence on my development. In fact I still own an (empty) can of Right Guard antiperspirant he gave me in Bisley to combat my sweaty fingers (was a bit of a nervous youngster at the time), which I kept as a memento.

Bob
Bruce Martindale

Go for it!

Post by Bruce Martindale »

The best thing a new shooter can do is go to high level competitions and dive right in to the resources that are there.

I was a mediocre shooter with no formal training and progress was slow with many setbacks. At mid Expert levels, I started going to the Crosman and then to Sectionals. On a business trip I ventured into Atlanta Oly range where I met Erich, the National Coach. He immediately invited me as an out of competition shooter to the upcoming World Cup. I was stunned but couldnt do that timing. I did attend the Nationals that year and took a medal in my class. I started going to many more.

This is where you meet people, stay together, carpool, and learn.
I met leading shooters and coaches, travelled to the Olympic Training Center for Masters camps and to shoot and....

The bottom line is if you leap in, you will fly as far as you can

I have a National Championship 2004 match 1 win, two Sr National Records, and four NRA National Championship Bronzes. See what you can do!

best regards