A spare something (?) for Steyr LP10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alexey931

A spare something (?) for Steyr LP10

Post by Alexey931 »

Hi, everybody,

A long, long time ago Mr. Pilkington advised LP10 (all steyr pistols) owners to have some spare assembly, which is good to have around when you travel to competitions abroad. I absolutely forgot what it is. Any ideas?

Best regards, Alexey
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Was it an applicator to make it easier to put the O-rings on the cylinder mounting?
Alexey931

Post by Alexey931 »

No. It was something which "is not known to fail dramatically", according to Mr. Pilkington. Some mechanism. Ought to be something which can be replaced by the owner, whithout gunsmith's services.

Best regards, Alexey
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I am sure what you are asking about is a regulator, but it does'nt apply to just the Steyr, it would apply to any regulated 10m air gun. Walther, Steyr, FWB, Morini, etc. Normally they will not fail dramatically, unless they are new or newly rebuilt and their is a fault in one of the o-rings. But if you start getting strnage shots, high and low, then its time for a new. Going to the expense of carrying an extra would only apply to those who are traveling to big competitions, and need every bit of insurance, because it is a rare thing for the these to fail from any manufacturer.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

With all due respect to Mr. Pilkington, whose opinion in this instance is without doubt correct, I would submit that a shooter should carry a spare gas valve for the Steyr pistols. This is the valve which, when struck by the falling hammer, opens to allow the regulated compressed air to flow through the breech bolt, propelling the pellet down the barrel.

The gas valve doesn't seem to fail often nor does it seem to fail catastrophically from what I've seen (have had 3 fail over the years), but when it does die it needs to be replaced right away because if you don't you'll have all the air in your tank leak away. If memory serves me well these are a pretty inexpensive part (maybe something like $25 or $30 US). Having one my spares kit has already saved me once at a match.

Hope this info helps!

Post by Guest »

Is this failure due to any lack of lubrication? If so, is there a way to lubricate this part? Could you give a description of exactly how one goes about changing out this part? I don't think this is covered in the manual. Approximately how many shots have been put through your LP10 prior to failure?

Thank in advance for any info. I currently have at least 6500 pellets through my LP10. No failure yet...
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

No disagreement with Mark, of course things like valves, o-rings, and springs should be in every serious shooters emergency kit, along with the reg. But it is extremely rare for a valve to without a long slow decline. (the exception to that would be the infamous white valves that Steyr made for a short while in 98)

As to the question about how many shots, I don't know how to calculate how many. 30-40 thousand maybe?
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I see Scott and I are running on the almost the same wavelength here. Nice to know I'm not way out in left field. *grin*

As for the gas valve questions asked by our Guest, there's no way to lubricate its seal as it's inside the gun. It's changed by removing the regulator from the gun. Although not difficult to change one should be fairly well versed in how to handle parts cautiously and not lose bits and pieces, otherwise you'll be left with a completely non-functioning gun.

And as for how long the valves last, I think my first two valves actually failed from lack of use (one in each of my LP1 and LP10, not long after I got the guns, prior to which they had been stored for quite a while). The last one that failed was in the LP10, again after not many shots were fired. If I'm not mistaken the part which was removed was indeed one of the infamous white-coloured ones. The gun's run like a top since the last valve change, so I suspect the new green valve will last a long, long time.

Mark.
Alexey931

Post by Alexey931 »

Will somebody tell me what is the official designation of the regulator and the gas valve for LP10? My only option is ordering them directly from Steyr Sportwaffen in which case I have to point them out formally, probably with the identification codes.

Best regards, Alexey
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Alexey,

My LP10 manual does lists the following information:

Format = english description, Quantity if more than one part required, Position number on parts diagram (German name)
Note that parts differ between LP10P (air) and LP10Co2 - parts listed here are for LP10P

Regulator, Pos # 29 (Aufnahme)
Regulator attachment screws, Qty 4, Pos #30 (Befistigungsschraube)
gas valve, Pos #18 (Arbeitsventil vollst.)

Additional spare parts you should consider having if you're placing an order:
gas valve return spring, Pos #51 (Feder zu Rstbolzen)
o-ring, Pos # 7 (O-ring 6x2)
o-ring, Pos #71 (O-Ring 5x1.5)
o-ring, Pos # 29.9 (O-Ring, 4x1.5) - it would be wise to purchase several of these o-rings as they're the ones that take all the wear as you screw the air cylinders on and off the pistol
hammer spring Pos # 52 (Druckfeder)
counterweight spring, Pos # 64 (Druckfeder)
Trigger spring, Pos # 53 (Vorzugsfeder)
Trigger spring Pos #54 (Feder)

Hope this info helps!

Mark.[/b]