Airline TSA and airguns

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BadMOJO

Airline TSA and airguns

Post by BadMOJO »

I have now had two seperate run-ins with airline TSA agents regarding the cylinders for my Morini air pistol. Both times they wanted me to open the air cylinders for visual inspection (they also want the valves removed from scuba tanks). I need to know if removing the valve from the cylinder is possible and if I can safely re-install the valves prior to use. Is anyone else having problems? If opening the cylinders is possible, perhaps someone could enlighten me. The first time I had a problem they did not allow me to check my air cylinders. The second time I was able to talk the TSA into clearing my gun case but it took me about an hour and they subjected me to the full search. Also, if you take your range bag to the airport be aware that any residual gun powder will set off the scanner.

Thanks for your help.

Mojo
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Nobody reported any problems in taking air rifles to the Field Target Nationals in Tacoma this past weekend. I wonder if the problem with TSA occurs because of the (typical) spare cylinder for pistols? Field target rifles usually don't have spare cylinders but have a quick-fill so they can be filled on the gun -- hence, it looks more like a single piece. Also, perhaps the paranoia is increased because it is a pistol instead of a rifle?

At major field target matches, air is available. Perhaps providing air at pistol matchs and carrying only one cylinder would help?

I have not personally done it, but the gauge is the part that is often removed to install a quick-fill adapter. I would try that end of the tube first. A single wrap of teflon tape is often enough to insure a good seal when reinstalling (and prevents seizing).

Best,

Joe
sparky

Post by sparky »

When I flew out of BWI with my Steyr LP-1P, I brought along a pressure gauge to indicate the cylinder was empty. They were fine with that. I wouldn't know how to remove the valve.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

There is a committee led by Bob Mitchel of USAS and Scott Pilkington of Pilkguns with some help from a few others that are addressing the issue with TSA & congress.

We will report to the shooting community when we have something to report, or when we need the letter writing campaign to begin.

Poole
GI Kevin

Post by GI Kevin »

You mentioned gauges on cylinders - does anyone have experience with TSA accepting the built-in gauges on newer cylinders as proof of an empty cylinder?

And that comment regarding residue on luggage... Having traveled with military baggage many many times I once checked a pack in salt lake city that was stuffed with C4 explosives only weeks before and the reading came out negative. And this was with the 'extra' sensitivity employed during the Olympics...

I think you are at the mercy of the little man in the white suit at whatever airport you pass through. My best advice here is to have a well thought out explanation for everything they might ask you. Maybe even carry a blueprint of the device or even a sales brochure of the 'weapon' in your bags so they can compare it to their xray and have some idea of what they are looking at.

I still think it's strange how I fly with 'checked' automatic weapons and ammunition with no apparent confrontation yet they pick on you guys and your air pistols???

No offense - I recently acquired an LP50 and absolutely love it!!!
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

This whole game of sniffing baggage and carry-ons for explosives is somewhat questionable. Or at least its linkage to the detection of the kind of propellants used in modern firearms is questionable. The sniffers are looking for some specific elements used in bomb-making (won't say here in an open forum which ones, but you can probably make an educated guess). These elements aren't present in gunpowder or primers. I've had my gunbox, with recently-fired and uncleaned guns still in it, sniffed several times now and have never raised an eyebrow. I suspect you'd be in much more trouble if you'd recently visited a fertilizer plant than a shooting range.