OSP Conversion

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
R.M.

OSP Conversion

Post by R.M. »

OK, I'm in the process of converting my OSP over to long rifle. I had the barrel anyway so why not.
I've inserted the rubber cushion, and installed a slightly heavier spring. I tried a few rounds out of it, but it's slamming back too hard. If I make the rubber cushion any longer, I won't be able to open it far enough to operate the slide stop. I need the .32 cocking piece to get more mass in the bolt. I tried to insert the one from my .32, but it's too wide.
Were do I get, and how much are these .32 parts?
I'm looking for the voice of experience. I know there's a few of you out there.

TIA
R.M.
Eddy

OSP

Post by Eddy »

RM

You are on the right track. You have to add some mass to the bolt. It's been awhile since I've made those converstions, but then the .32 cocking piece did slide into the OSP bolt. The weights that bolt on are usually the wrong shape. They tend to slam into your finger on recoil. Making your own set with the mass forward instead of centered on the cocking piece is the way to go.

I ordered all my part directly from walther. But I was on the team at the time and ordered quite a few parts. I would guess Scott could get the .32 parts for you.

You can email me at eddy@targetworx.com
Sandy

OSP/GSP Conversion

Post by Sandy »

R.M.

This is a viable conversion. In reply to this same question, I gave a very detailed description with sixteen photos of my daughter's pistol (which she used to make the National Team). Go to TT May 26, 2005.

Eddy Esworthy (an excellent pistolsmith) made the original conversion when she was only 13 years old, so total weight reduction was essential. The frame was swiss-cheesed and made lighter. You will not have to do this. Two years later I made some changes to improve the balance and cycling.

Using the .32 cal bolt, machine some charging handles to add some weight. This is necessary because the return spring cannot do it alone. You will have to tune the weight and return spring to get optimum cycling, especially since you put a stronger return spring. Her pistol cycles faster and smoother than a stock GSP. The photos should make everything self explanitory but if you have questions, contact me directly.

Get the parts from Earl Sheehan. He is the major Walther service in the USA. Having delt with him for many years, I will recommend him as THE Walther source.

Earl's Repair Service,Inc.
437 Chandler Street
Tewkbury, MA 01876
978-851-2656

Sandy Santibanez - tenx@san.rr.com
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Eddy, Sandy, Thank You so much. That's just what I was looking for.
I'll contact Earl tomorrow and hopefully we'll be making use of this book end again.

R.M.