FIRST TIME SCORING!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BOOKER

FIRST TIME SCORING!

Post by BOOKER »

Yesterday was the first time scoring points with official 10 meter targets, I made a 468, with a TAU-200, Gamo match pellets and no shooting jacket. Yes I know I know, it's not a great score, and not the best equipment but I think it's not bad for a rookie like me.

Do you guys think a shooting jacket will help me with my score, I'm still learning, but I'm interested in the sport so I'm willing to purchase all the necessary equipment. It's not my rifle either, but I think it's a good beginner rifle, till I feel confident enough to purchase something like a FWB 603 or P70.

Thx 4 reading and 4 any help!
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Booker: Yes a jacket will certainly help. Pants and boots will too. I started back to shooting 5 years ago after not shooting for about 20-25 years. I did as you- started with an air rifle and street clothes. I then added a jacket. In the 70's when I shot there was no such thing as shooting pants but I did have an ISU jacket. So, I thought I'd just get a jacket. That helped. I figured at first that the pants were a bunch of bunk. Anyway, I bought a $50 beater pair from Neal Johnson's. The pants help a lot too. And, now I have boots too. Some of the benefits that you will get from boots can be achieved by shooting in stocking feet for standing. No need to jump in and drain your bank account though. Get a jacket next and keep your eyes open for used stuff along the way. Just keep working at it.
wrc

Post by wrc »

Find a club if you can, and see if they have equipment to try out. That is one good way to see the diference between jacket, etc and no jacket, etc. A jacket is an excellent start. Practice all your good shooting habits & don't fret about the rest of the equipment. If you find an affordable pair of skateboarding shoes (or wrestling boots) buy them & use them just for shooting. They are nice & flat for standing. Don't be afraid to go to matches and compete, even if they are wearing fancier gear than you are. What you will get is match experience, and meet more people who started just like you!
Above all - have fun shooting!!
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

wrc wrote:Don't be afraid to go to matches and compete, even if they are wearing fancier gear than you are. What you will get is match experience, and meet more people who started just like you!
Above all - have fun shooting!!
+1,000,000

The people who don't go to matches because they are not "good enough" will never be good enough.