Nose heavy pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BadMOJO

Nose heavy pistol

Post by BadMOJO »

Ok, I've been shooting pistol for about a year now. Over the last several months I have struggled with dropping my front sight post. This tends to happen more as my arm gets tired. I have noticed it with both of my Morini pistols (air and free). The problem is that I have now developed a nasty habit of raising the gun to compensate for the heavy nose. The issue has been my biggest training setback thus far and I am struggling to remedy the issue.

Is the pistol balanced wrong?
Is my stance wrong?
Or, have I not developed the appropriate level of muscle control yet?

Anyone have any ideas?
victor6

Post by victor6 »

Could you be overtraining? How long are your practice sessions?

I don't shoot more than a match worth of pellets per training session.

Also, are you allowing sufficient recovery time per shot attempt?

Regards,

Victor
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

After noticing that all my competitors in a local match had no weights on their guns, I removed all my weights (including the mounting bar) from my SAM M10. I liked it far better. Whether the gun was more- or less-stable, I don't know but my scores improved.

Best,

Joe
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Is your pistols grip properly fit to your hand/natural tendency? You might have to change the grip angle or perhaps add some material at the heel of your hand to prop up the front sight. Just a suggetion.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

All the above and more...

For me it was
- Grip needed adjustment, specifically how the palm rest fitted under my hand. Not enough support and you have to grip the pistol HARDER, leading to tired muscles. A pistol like the Daisy 717 and 747 w/o a palm rest is difficult as you don't have that support, and have to use a different method.
- Front heavy. I removed one weight and shifted the remaining weight toward the rear. And later in the match when I get tired, I remove the weight. Muzzle steady doesn't mean much if you can't hold the pistol up because you are too tired.
- Muscles. You may also need more strengthening exercise.
- Pace. You have 1hr 45 min to shoot 60 shots, so pace yourself to rest your arm. Take rest breaks.
- For lack of better term, working your way up. In the beginning, I could not shoot a 60 shot set. I had to gradually build up my endurance.

When I practice, and I get like what you said, I STOP. Because if I continue, my practice is affected by my tired arm and I start developing bad habbits like jerking the trigger in hopes of a good shot.

gud luk
Gary
James Hurr

Nose Heavy

Post by James Hurr »

Personally I have always found a nose heavy pistol hard to use.

Technically, we did some tests with a Gamo Compact (light and weighted to the rear) and a 'typical' air pistol - long air cylinder and heavy front weights using a Rika type system.

The light pistol was much steadier on target, although there were higher frequency oscillations which are psycholoigally off-putting.

The heavy pistol seemed steadier, but in fact had much larger low frequency oscillations which were more off-putting.

Also, with a nose heavy pistol I find as the trigger is squeezed weight is transferred from the other fingers to the trigger finger, leading to more jump on trigger release.
fsmte

Re: Nose Heavy

Post by fsmte »

it is certain dhurt
I think that the angle of grip has relationship.
With this use more Morini therefore does not have possibility to modify the angle. Steyr and others have this possibility.