Help need for shooter going to Murray in Ky

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gvmnt45

Help need for shooter going to Murray in Ky

Post by gvmnt45 »

I have a shooter that we picked up last year. She was in a Jr ROTC program in her high school. This program folded and she came to our club to shoot and to compete. She shoots Precision Air Rifle (has all her own gear and new rifle). She decided to go to Murray a while back because it had both her major (Horses) and shooting.

She has shot in the Jr Olympics (sporter team Silver medal) and at Ft Benning this year.

Here is what is going on. I hope someone out there can help.

She had been trying to contact her prospective coach at Murray for almost a year with no luck. My shooter finally was able to get a hold of the sports director at Murray and the Director talked to the coach. The coach called my shooter and was very angry at the time they talked. My shooter was then told that there were no spots on the team left because the coach had just filled the last 3 slots while at Jr Olympics.

It gets better. This is something that I was not aware of, nor my shooter. If we would have found out earlier, we could have done something about this, but..

NCAA does not recognize Illinois ACT tests. You need to take a National ACT test after you take the Illinois state test. This is also true for California.

So now she has no chance of shooting on any team. The next available time to take the national ACT is in Oct. The results will take some time. This effectively puts her out for a year.

Without the NCAA approval, she can not even shoot on the Murray range (she was told).

Does anyone have any options out there?

NCAA contacts, range around Murray that she can keep trigger time at while this settles out, anyone that can be reached as an intermediary to get this worked out, anything would be a help.
GA Competitive Shooters

Pick a different School

Post by GA Competitive Shooters »

You might consider going somewhere where you're wanted! There are lots of Good Programs out there looking for Good Athletes. I hadn't heard any of this type stuff, but I'll keep my ears open now...

I checked with my NCAA "knowledgeable" person and here's the answer;

"She could be allowed to shoot on the Murray Range if they have a club type night. Of course she would have to be a club member and only shoot at the designated club time. I don’t know if Murray does that. I know UTM does. To avoid loosing eligibility, she may only want to take a part-time class load and not be a full time student. Let me know if there are more parts to the story that I have failed to address."

Hope this helps,

Roy McClain
Matt

NCAA Shooting

Post by Matt »

Gvmnt45:

I don't believe for one second that the Murray coach was not able to be contacted nor do I believe that there was a bonifide effort put forth from your 'shooter' to initiate contact. If there is a will there is a way! Planning for contacting coaches begins the day upon completing the junior year in high school. Did she write or call the next day, or the day after that, or the day after that? Persistence is what is required to win (and earn) a position on a team. Rather than place blame on the rifle coach, she must reevaluate the techniques required to succeed in gaining contacts with the coaches.

Quoting your mesage 'She decided to go to Murray a while back', how far back is a while back? Preceeding her finishing day of her junior year or just a few months ago? I would like to hear the rest of the story that isn't told in your message.

The early bird always gets the worm as they say.

Matt
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

i'm not sure about the whole act thing, but i know your frusterations with the murray coach. during my senior year i tried contacting her several times but never got a response. you did the right thing by contacting the athletic department (something i didn't do). one suggestion would be look up morgan hicks and contact her. she's a grad assistant for the team and will most likely take over the job when she gets her masters. i don't have her e-mail, but you should try looking her up on the murray site (they often have student look-ups) and drop her a note. the very least she can get you in touch with the coach. she is a very nice person and probably could explain the whole situation as to what's going on with the team.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Sounds like there have been some communication problems that need ironing out and quickly. I'd suggest the shooter see if they can meet with the coach in person ASAP and take things from there. A face to face meeting should clear the air and give your shooter some idea of what to expect and whether she can shoot with the squad / on the range. I'd be very suprised if she weren't able to. If things don't go well then alternative plans may need to be made.

Rob.
wrc

Post by wrc »

That's a real shame. I feel sorry for her - circumstances have been rather cruel. Your shooter talked about Murray State & visited there in '03, I believe. That ought to have been enough time. Perhaps the time spent in Sporter competition has put her in a less favorable light with the coach?

Post by Guest »

Any update, especially since some people actually tried to respond & help?

help yourself

Post by Guest »

anne proctor is not hard to contact. i got through to here the very first time i tried to call. any time i have tried to call her she has always, at the very least, contacted me within 24 hours of the original phone call. I really doubt the problem lies within the coach. As far as ACT your shooter, who I happen to know is an avid excuse maker, should have done her homework and known to take the test on a national test day instead of a state one. she has since been cleared by the ncaa but is still not technically on the team she may shoot at the range but can not compete in any team competitions. if she wants to be part of the team she should put forth an effort to be.