Tau-7 User Poll

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MSC

Tau-7 User Poll

Post by MSC »

Curious as to what % of folks use CO2 powerlets versus bulk fill? I've heard leakage problems are more prevalent with powerlets. Seeing as how you get about as many shots either way, the powerlets seem more convenient (though I realize more pricey, too).

Also, I learned to live with some leakage in my $35 Crosman, but I hoped at 10x the price I wouldn't have to deal with these issues. Was this just a rare case I read about?

Any comments appreciated! And great forum!

Thanks
Mike
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Mike - Your experience with the TAU-7 is, unfortunately, not uncommon. But that's not necessarily bad news. Bear with me as I try to explain...

One word of warning... The TAU comes with 2 "piercer caps" for use with powerlets. These piercer caps have o-ring seals which swell with exposure to Co2. Every time you change powerlets you must change the piercer cap as well, otherwise the swollen o-ring will tear.

The advantage of using bulk-fill is that, once the bulk-fill adapter is attached to the gun there's no need to touch it again until you wish to switch to powerlets. If you have leaky seals on the fill cap, once you've got the gas leak stopped it stays stopped until you change to powerlets.

All this having been said, the primary culprit for leakage within the TAU is NOT the bulk fill adapter nor the piercer caps. The gas valve seat is the primary cause of leaks in this gun - it's made of white plastic material that looks like teflon and sits at the forward end of the gas piston. Replacing the seat isn't all that hard to do, but I've seen a couple of instances where the newly-replaced seat would leak as much as the one which had just been removed. If you're near a dealer or can ship your gun to an experienced airgun repair shop (like our sponsor, Pilkguns, or Cibles Canada Targets in Canada) then it can be repaired easily and reliably.

Don't give up hope on your TAU-7. The quite probably represent the best value per dollar in target air pistols. And they are durable. Once you get your leak fixed, it will likely stay that way for a long, long time.

As a case in point, I owned two TAU-7's at the same time a few years ago. One of them leaked like a sieve. I took it to Jocelyn at Cibles Canada Targets and sat there for the 20 minutes it took him to replace the gas valve seat. He actually did it twice because the first "new" seat leaked like crazy. Once the second "new" gas valve seat was installed, we filled the gun and it held gas. A year later I sold it to a friend who shot it for a couple of years. This past Christmas a junior in our club was looking for a pistol so I brokered a deal with my friend for his (previously my) Tau. In the process I had the gun at home for a couple of weeks. Knowing this gun's history as a leaky gun, I filled it with gas, weighed it, and then waited a week. The gun didn't lose even one gram of gas. So I weighed it again at the end of two weeks. Still no gas lost. This is quite normal for TAU 7's, and is what you should expect from yours once the leak is repaired.

Hope this info helps!

Oh, by the way... The junior who purchased the TAU that once belonged to me doubted its accuracy potential. Not having shot it for at least two years, I took three sighter shots with it, then shot a 10-shot string for a score of 95. I think he now has as much respect for this fine pistol as I have.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Mark, thanks for the very informative post. Sorry if I somehow eluded to actually owning a Tau, I don't. It is however, on my "upgrade list". I'm currently using a Daisy 717. Progressing pretty well with it, but don't care for the nose-heaviness of it. From what I understand, the Tau is much better in this respect. Thanks again!
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

We (Sedgwick county 4-H) have a 747 and Tau-7 Junior models (imported from Pilk). These two guns are about as opposite as you can get with respect to balance. The Tau Junior Center of Gravity is inside the grip I think, while it seems to be a few inches in front of the Trigger guard on the Daisy's. Haven't actually "balanced them" on anything yet, but will probably try.

Mike
Wichita KS
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

To expand on Mike's comments, the TAU-7 comes with a couple of barrel weights and a tail weight. This allows one to not only vary the balance point through a substantial range, but also to vary the total weight of the gun while maintaining a reasonably consistant balance point. I'm not aware of any other airgun that offers this range of flexibility. In fact, I don't know of any other pistol that comes from the factory with as much flexibility.

All in all, the TAU-7 represents a lot of value for the money. If anybody comes to me and asks what their first competition air pistol should be, I always advise them to get a TAU.

Oh, by the way, our club has a pair of BRNO Aeron B-97 pistols. These are essentially an updated TAU-7. They've inherited an autococking feature from their 5-shot B-96 brother, as well as its dry-fire selector. These seem to work quite well, but as yet our club hasn't really torture tested them as their use level is still fairly low.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Mike,
Try a small square of "non-skid" tape on the back of the grip. I found that on my 747, the non-skid cured the tendency of the pistol to slip in my grip due to the nose heavy balance. This allowed me to grip it lighter, and thus shake less.

Gary
Bill177

Non-skid tape?

Post by Bill177 »

What a great and simple idea! I'm on the way to the marine supply now to get some. Thank you!
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks again for all the useful info. In researching bulk-fill co2, I found it's much simpler than I thought (as most things usually are...). It would definitely be the way to go if I go co2 on my next gun.
Gary: I had seen the non-skid tape idea before, but never really had a problem with the gun slipping. Your mention of grip tension and shake did hit home though, so I think I may try it anyhow.
GaryN

non-skid

Post by GaryN »

I got my non-skid from Ace Hardware. The non-skid from ACE is made of plastic, so it is not as abrasive on the hand as the sandpaper-like non-skid that you normally find. And being plastic, I can cut it with a scisors w/o ruining the blade.

Gary