Ruger Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
M54

Ruger Pistol

Post by M54 »

Hi all,

First time poster here. I am at present looking at buying a Ruger Pistol 22/45 Mark III. I would appreciate any comments you might have to make on the model, good, bad or indifferent on the gun before I buy.

Many thanks
Sharon.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

First of all, what do you want to use it for? Since you posted to "TARGET TALK" one assumes that you are target shooting. So far, no one in the Bullseye community uses a Mark III. They're all scared of the loaded chamber indicator, which is some sort of pin that gets pushed out if the chamber has a round in it. It would seem logical that a failure of the pin would make the gun jam. Everyone I know still has a Ruger Mark II.

If you are looking at an entry level target pistol for Bullseye Target shooting, as opposed to Olympic target shooting, the Browning Buckmark is nice. For a lot more money, a Marvel Conversion ($350. USD) on a 1911 frame ($500) is a good way to go. less than 1 inch groups at 50 yards..... This is what many Bullseye shooters in the USA use, they aready have the 1911 frame.

If you're looking for International / Olympic shooting, someone else will chime in.

Mike
sparky

Post by sparky »

IMHO, they feel like crap. Don't like the plastic feel of the lower. Rear sight blade on my Mark II was kind of loose.
Assuming you can find a Mark II cheaper, I'd go for it, since the Mark III doesn't seem to offer any advantages, and as another person has said, offers at least one more part to break.
funtoz

Re: Ruger Pistol

Post by funtoz »

M54 wrote:Hi all,

First time poster here. I am at present looking at buying a Ruger Pistol 22/45 Mark III. I would appreciate any comments you might have to make on the model, good, bad or indifferent on the gun before I buy.

Many thanks
Sharon.
The Ruger is the most economical way to get into target shooting. You will get more for your dollar, new or used, buying a Ruger. Some of the bullseye shooters have a 1911 fetish and feel that you need to get a 45 angle grip in your 22. They ignore the fact that Darius Young won two national championships and he uses an Erma 32 for centerfire and Clark managed to win a national championship using a Ruger MK-I for 22. Those shooters that learn the fundamentals and develop their talent will do well shooting a brick. The more conventional grip angle may also suit you better if you intend to use it to shoot standard, sport, and free pistol. The Ruger is a gun that will allow you to learn the fundamentals of target shooting without selling your first-born. The alternatives range up to nearly $2000.

Women and juniors should probably consider one of the lighter barreled versions. They usually have less initial shoulder and arm strength for holding up the heavier barrels. The Hunter, fluted barrel configuration and the standard tapered barrel are lighter and less muzzle heavy. The heavy barrels are more for weight balance than for increased accuracy. It will be a long time before your arc of movement reduces to anything close to where you could see a difference. The best tactic is to visit ranges, gun shows, and well stocked dealers and actually hold the various models before making your choice.

The Ruger should take you well into expert class in NRA sanctioned events and at least 'B' class for USAS. You will eventually want to either improve your Ruger or get one of the upper level pistols, but that is a discussion for when you know how to shoot the Ruger to its capabilities.

Larry
MSC

Post by MSC »

For more info/opinions on this gun than you'd probably care to read, check out www.markii.org (if you haven't already). A vast amount of good info on these guns and a very friendly bunch of folks.
I don't own one, but my 2 pennies from what I know of them:
- Great value for the $
- Historically proven great reliability
- A bit tricky to fieldstrip. But after a few times...
- Triggers need some work, but... (see next point)
- Tons of aftermarket parts and upgrades
- Better like the grips as-is. I can't recall if it's part of the frame or ???
Suffice to say, there's few if any options there.

Again, the site above will overwhelm you with info. And any post will get plenty of informational replies.

Good luck!
Mike
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

I noticed you listed location as "Ireland"? I will assume that is the case.

I have heard they are now again after 30 years issuing pistol licenses, welcome back.

i suspect your license will severely restrict what you can do with your pistol and probably not much other than ISSF standard, rapid or sport pistol, and only at your licensed club.

Its probably impossible for you to find a different used gun or a gunsmith to work on the trigger, you may not be able to import the accessories or parts.

It may be difficult for you to get another license for a second gun in the same caliber, and might be hard to sell the ruger if you need to buy another gun.

Here in the US, I'd say go for it (after comparing to the buckmark and trailside), shoot it for a while, try everyone else's stuff and if you get serious about competition, upgrade later.

If your circumstances make that difficult, and you really want to take up the sport, it might be best to seriously consider buying your last pistol first (or maybe even only)

There will be no ruger Mk III's in Beijing in 2008, if you seriously want to get into ISSF shooting, look at Pardini, Morini, Hammerli, Walther, FWB.

Good shooting.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
No Rugers in Bejing 2008

Cheap (but reliable) clunker...

Post by No Rugers in Bejing 2008 »

Words of Wisdom there, Bill.
There will be absolutely no Rugers in Bejing in 2008, and in no other Olympics of the future!

The Rugers (regardless of Mk.s) are best regarded as cheap entry level guns, a typical "first gun". Reliable, and can´t be worn out, obviously.

Dismantling (fully) is difficult, especially for novices, but can be learned.

The Rugers are cheap plinkers. And should not be considered useful for ISSF regulated shooting.

Save the money, rather go for an used match type .22 auto.

Post by Guest »

I would venture that NONE of us here will be going to China either.. Rugers are good solid pistols, if you can find a MKII. They are good plinkers, gallery, and decent bullseye guns (with mods), but NO they are not Olympic grade pistols...
CraigJS
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

I would venture that NONE of us here will be going to China either..
come on!!! what happened to having a positive mental attitude, affirmations, optimism, goals and acheivent? man, you need to dig out those Lanny Basham tapes and listen to them again! (I guess i do too)

Our fellow athlete from Ireland just may very well be going to BJ! and since there are Target-Talka's from numerous english and not so english speaking countries, 10 rifle and pistol events, 2 slots per country that's 20 from each country in BJ (after we get the quota slots) so we can expect over 100 of US to be there!!!!!

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
1112 training days till Beijing
M54

Ruger Pistol

Post by M54 »

Firstly, to all of you who took time out to reply, thank you all very much.

I'm from the Republic and pistol licences have been issued here since last year. As of yet the North and the UK are still not permitted.

For the last number of months, I've been using a FWB AW93. Lovely piece, but I find the grip a little too big for my hand, even with the adjustments made. Still didn't do too badly with it in comp!

I finally went for the Mark III at the weekend. Much lighter and better size for me.

As for BJ in 2008, think I'll pass it up this time. You never know, if they organise something regarding the licences in the UK, might see you lot in London in 2012!

Again thanks for the info. I'll let ye know how I get on when I pick it up. Could be a while yet, licences take ages to issue here.

Shar.
j-team

Post by j-team »

I'm from the Republic and pistol licences have been issued here since last year. As of yet the North and the UK are still not permitted.
I was under the impression that Northern Ireland gave Westminster the digitally enhanced salute and kept their pistol when they were banned in the rest on the UK?

Post by Guest »

Apologies,

You are correct. NI do have their licences.

S.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

M54 - if you've been shooting a FWB AW93 with the stock FWB grip, there's no wonder it doesn't fit you very well. I haven't spoken to anybody yet who finds the factory grip really fits, or is even moderately "modifiable" to fit. A RINK grip changes the feel of this pistol entirely. I've held both the factory and RINK-equipped pistols in my hand and would not even consider purchasing an AW93 with the factory grip.

Once you've got a RINK grip on the AW93 it's a fine shooting iron. The recoil characteristics probably don't make it an optimum choice for Rapid Fire, but for Sport Pistol and Standard Pistol it's a beautiful gun. And the rest of the world of pistol manufacturers could use it as an example of how a premium pistol should look from a fit-and-finish perspective.

Welcome back to the world of pistol shooting!
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

M54 wrote: I finally went for the Mark III at the weekend. Much lighter and better size for me.
Shar.
Hi again

When you have say 5,000 rounds thru the Ruger, how about writing up how you're doing with it. From what I understand, very few target shooters are buying them. It would be nice to have data on whether or not the whole chamber loaded toy is a problem or not. Same with the new magazine release etc.

Thanks

Mike
Wichita KS
M54

Post by M54 »

Hi Mike,

Soon as I know what's going on with it I'll keep you informed.

Shar.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

mikeschroeder wrote:
M54 wrote: I finally went for the Mark III at the weekend. Much lighter and better size for me.
Shar.
Hi again

When you have say 5,000 rounds thru the Ruger, how about writing up how you're doing with it. From what I understand, very few target shooters are buying them. It would be nice to have data on whether or not the whole chamber loaded toy is a problem or not. Same with the new magazine release etc.

Thanks

Mike
Wichita KS
Hey Shar

How's the Mark III going? Is anyone right about the extra parts making the pistol less reliable? Or is it just all superstition? I had a Mark II when the new ones came out. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get something with the same angle as the 1911, maybe the Buckmark.

Mike Schroeder
Wichita Ks

Post by Guest »

Hi Mike,

Can't give you any info. Still waiting on the licence. I was told yesterday by my Super that it could be another 4-6 weeks before I get it. I've got the all clear, just waiting on paperwork now.

Soon as I have it, I'll be back on to you. How are you getting on?

Shar.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

My Ruger shoots O.K., I want to buy the Volquartsen trigger set and redo it, but I'd rather buy a Marvel Conversion and shoot that, so Spending the $100 on the Ruger and another $400 on the Marvel isn't in the cards.

I'm working my way through the USMC Pistol Shooters Workbook, I posted the link in an earlier thread.

Mike Schroeder
Wichita KS
aprough

Ruger Pistol

Post by aprough »

The Bullseye community is shooting the Ruger MKIII. I run a monthly (11 of 12 months) Bullseye, NRA Approved match in Southern California. One the shooter's who has consistently shoots well in the matches, shoots a Ruger MKIII. I’ve listed his .22 scores for the past three months using a Ruger MKIII.

August, 2005 ----- 853/900 with 25 x's

September 2005----- 849/900 with 27 x's

October 2005----- 850/900 with 17 x's

YES, the Ruger MkIII does shoot well.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

That's great, I think everyoen was worried that the chamber indicator would cause jamming or something. I still want a different gun, but I'm in no rush.

Mike Schroeder
Wichita KS